Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Warning: You may not like what 7.1 does to Autosteer on (divided) highways.

While out testing the new software yesterday, I discovered that on a 6-lane divided highway with perfect visibility, well-marked lanes, no curves, no hills, and minimal traffic, AUTOSTEER FORCES YOU TO JIGGLE THE STEERING WHEEL AT LEAST ONCE EVERY 15 SECONDS to prevent receiving a message to hold the steering wheel.

IMHO this effectively takes away the ability to cruise using Autosteer. Just lightly resting your hand on the wheel doesn't stop the nagging "hold the wheel" messages; you've got to actively remember to wiggle the wheel every 15 seconds.

With the previous version 7.0 on the very same highway (which I routinely drive to the airport) I was able to drive 30 minutes without getting the nag. A few weeks ago I drove from DC to Atlanta and back without getting the message unless warranted by conditions (e.g., lane markings disappearing).

Has anyone else noticed this change with version 7.1?

Thought I'd update this: I drove the same route today and fortunately only got a few nags to grab the wheel -- the car otherwise drove itself nicely. Maybe there's a learning process?

Separately, I did run into occasions where the "5 mph over the posted speed limit" on Autosteer kicked in when it presumably shouldn't have -- on suburban 4-lane roads with medians.

I would love to see some videos of new features *other* than summon. :biggrin:

As you may know, I would take the time to take the videos myself and share them here as I have done several times in the past, but I sadly haven't gotten the 7.1 update yet...

Sorry to interrupt the conversation but am I the only one who is curious about new autopilot visualizations. Why there are no videos/photos about new autopilot dashboard that shows cars/trucks/bikes in multiple lanes. I'd like to see how precise it is. Maybe it is too soon to ask..?

Also, nearly all of the summon videos are successful garage enter&exit videos. I'd like to see where summon fails and how it performs in parking lots and other situations.

Well my 20 mil commute didnt produce any naggin, but autopilot seemed way worse. I had to correct 4-5 times where I never had to correct before.. Summon will also not enter my garage because of a 1/2 lip on the garage floor...I can push the car from the back to help it, but it will not go in by itself. Once it gave up, it proceeded to close the garage door on itself....

Definitely beta.

"During this Beta stage of Summon, we would like customers to become familiar with it on private property."
Summon Your Tesla from Your Phone | Tesla Motors
So we CANNOT summon from our phone with this iteration, correct? Because I don't have the update yet, but I was able to update my Tesla app for iPhone and the only summon mention I see on it at this point is in Notifications. I don't see a Command feature to summon from the phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Well my 20 mil commute didnt produce any naggin, but autopilot seemed way worse. I had to correct 4-5 times where I never had to correct before.. Summon will also not enter my garage because of a 1/2 lip on the garage floor...I can push the car from the back to help it, but it will not go in by itself. Once it gave up, it proceeded to close the garage door on itself....

Definitely beta.
Ouch. That's not smart.

Sorry to interrupt the conversation but am I the only one who is curious about new autopilot visualizations. Why there are no videos/photos about new autopilot dashboard that shows cars/trucks/bikes in multiple lanes. I'd like to see how precise it is. Maybe it is too soon to ask..?
That requires either a camera rig, or a passenger, or someone who doesn't care about recording video with a handheld device while driving (it is illegal here) so it will just take some time. I noticed it on my drive today, I saw a truck show up and it is much better at seeing multiple cars and might be even snappier -- though still not perfect.

Ultrasonics should detect the cat. Better at detect soft objects than hard ones, from what I hear.
For the record it was a kitten, a really small one (though not to scale in the picture ;) BTW don't google image search "sleeping kittens" as it may take you a while to recover. I'd rather be testing my robot car but no joy for Canada.

Perhaps kitteh is why the garage lips (eg. concrete slab to asphalt at lower grade) are causing problems though... ? wonder if anyone has tested a stuffed animal etc.

Also, nearly all of the summon videos are successful garage enter&exit videos. I'd like to see where summon fails and how it performs in parking lots and other situations.

Seems to work pretty well for the 5 minutes I used it. At least you know that the car knows about cars in the other lane.

I am really excited for the autopilot and summon feature to improve. It is awesome to see the new Mercedes E pushing auto pilot. The race will escalate much faster (I hope). I love the idea of having cars in a remote garage and calling which one I want to drive (or ride in) to pick me up.

So we CANNOT summon from our phone with this iteration, correct? Because I don't have the update yet, but I was able to update my Tesla app for iPhone and the only summon mention I see on it at this point is in Notifications. I don't see a Command feature to summon from the phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch. That's not smart.

I don't have 7.1 yet either, but from what I've read here, Summon only shows on your App once you enable it on the car, enable it in the App Notifications, are in Park, and have the FOB and phone near it. IMHO though, be careful... As I tried to explain in an earlier post today way up line now, It may be convenient, but there are lots more variables that could go wrong if you need to STOP Summon in an emergency. There is already one example from an owner here where the App failed to stop it (out of range perhaps?). I'm going to use my FOB until I have a lot more experience and confidence in it, even though Summon in its current form will be something for me to dazzle-dazzle family and friends with, not something practical I'll use... I don't want my MS ending out in the street as it's less than 39' from my garage.

Last edited:
Unlock.png

Can anyone with 7.1 explain what the above feature means? I don't quite understand how the first sentence relates to the second.

Besides, I can already (and have always been able to) unlock my car while a charging session is in progress without interrupting said session.

:confused:

View attachment 107527

Can anyone with 7.1 explain what the above feature means? I don't quite understand how the first sentence relates to the second.

Besides, I can already (and have always been able to) unlock my car while a charging session is in progress without interrupting said session.

:confused:

I have no idea. I have never had a problem unlocking my car while charging, either. Maybe they mean you can unlock the charge port without stopping the charge?