Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 Summon Demo Video and Comments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

I just uploaded a video of 7.1's summon feature. In it, the car uses Homelink to open the garage and backs out, then closes the garage door when it's done. It's a small 2-car garage with one door. There's another car parked in the driveway on the other side and it didn't have any problems. (I tested it quite a few times from inside before trying this.)

Pulling in was a little "messy." It never came close to hitting anything, but it wasn't perfectly straight. I suspect it will work better if there's another car next to it, so it has something to center on. But I wouldn't trust it parking in an empty two-car garage just yet.

Tesla P85D 7.1 Summon - YouTube

How's everyone else finding it?

The only thing I find concerning is the activation sequence. I wish you activated by double clicking on the lock button followed by a click and close. This prevent any possibility of inadvertently opening the rear trunk in a garage with a low ceiling or the garage door arc too close to the garage door. If you are outside the garage you have no way of seeing the visual confirmation that the car has entered summon mode before pressing the lift gate open button.

What would happen if for RF interference or whatever issue the car does not get the initial summon mode command and when you press the lift gate button it opens the lift gate inside the garage. I wish the lift gate had Model X falcon wing door style sensors to prevent it from opening into the garage door or ceiling. I realize you can manually set the height but if you have an especially tight garage it could hit the garage door before it hits the ceiling or the height that was set could get reset due to a software update.

The fact that this feature is initiated with the lift gate open button concerns me...

I was kinda thinking the same thing. But time will tell. Maybe we don't know we need it until we have it?

I was also thinking when the summons might be cool, and thought I'd never use it at home.

Today I parked far away, and some ********** parked next to me and close to the line. I loaded one kid in, and had my wife drive forward 5' so I could load the other kid in. Would've come in handy in a case like this.

Critical? Absolutely not. But fun/useful

Could be handy in parking garages where there's a space right next to a wall on the driver's side. Line up, get out, park it, and don't worry about squeezing out. Since it's a wall, you don't have to worry about the other guy banging your car with his door.

I could see using it if I'm loading several people into the car including some small kids. My garage is a bit tight. Not to the extent that I can't get the doors open, but it's a little inconvenient. Instead of getting in the car, backing out, getting out of the car, loading, getting back in the car, and driving off, I can cut to the chase a bit and just have the car back itself out.

I really have no use for it in my garage. I walk into my garage directly from the house, get in, open the garage door and leave. And it won't work for backing in, whether I am in the car or not, because I have a little bit of wiggle I have to do to back in. But I can certainly see how it could be very useful, based on all the comments I have seen in the main 7.1 thread.

I see the mirrors stayed folded while the car is backing out. Did you turn off the "folding mirrors" feature or does summon mode keep them folded?

Mirror Autotilt and Autofold are both set to "on."

- - - Updated - - -

I really have no use for it in my garage. I walk into my garage directly from the house, get in, open the garage door and leave. And it won't work for backing in, whether I am in the car or not, because I have a little bit of wiggle I have to do to back in. But I can certainly see how it could be very useful, based on all the comments I have seen in the main 7.1 thread.

Yeah, I'm in the same situation. It's really an awesome tech demo, though. I can see it being nice for loading the kids or suitcases, but not for daily use. To me, it's just another piece of the puzzle toward autonomous driving. Because one day, in the not too distant future, we're going to want the car to take us out of the garage and pull back in. Between this and perpendicular parking, they just added another piece of the journey. Now we just need Autopilot 2.0 for the middle part...

I probably won't use it on a daily basis, but I can definitely see occasions where it would be useful. Mostly when I have a lot to unload from the car, which I typically do outside of the garage for more room. Not like it's a huge deal to jump in the car and park when I'm done, but if my car ever downloads the update, it will be easier (and so much cooler) to have the car do it on its own. If a bunch of people are getting in the car, I also usually pull out first to make it easier. This is another situation where I'll probably have the car pull itself out and get in with everyone else. Particularly since in this situation, there would be an audience! Finally, while I've managed just fine to this point, getting in and out of my car in the garage can be a bit of a squeeze. So if the weather is nice, might as well just have the car pull out and make it easier.

Necessary? No. Neat feature? Absolutely!

How steep is your driveway? How many times have you tried? Trying to estimate at what point the feature starts to have issues. Another post indicates 5% slope works well.

I don't have 7.1 yet, but my driveway is about 15% so is likely a no-go for now. I'm hoping they can improve that in the future? It would be a very great feature for me for two reasons:

1) The vehicle is a tight fit especially with the mirrors out and my wife is afraid to pull it in to the garage.

2) I'd much rather back the vehicle into my garage but that is difficult with the slope and the mirrors out, but also difficult with the mirrors in (can't see the sides).

Cute video.... but if he patted the frunk he might crease it! :wink:

See that my iPhone app has upgraded and shows the Summon notifications. Must be coming soon.