Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there some known point at which they will force a pending update on you, or is it up to you to accept it?

(IOW, could you choose to stay at 6.2.46 or whatever indefinitely?)

Given how the update process works in practice, IMO you are given some choice about when you want to update, not if you want to update. In practice you can delay the update indefinitely because it is "not convenient." However, when your car is in for service, then the inconvenience rationale goes away, so the service center may do the update for you.

Given that the service center uses the service features of the software that are not available to the driver, it is even conceivable that the service center many require the update to access a service feature that was added in a later version of the software (or had a bug fixed). So it may not even be a simple matter of the driver being content to live with the features (and bugs) s/he knows rather dealing with different features and new bugs, as s/he is not the only user of the software.

Tesla, by necessity, needs to put up with some (self inflicted) level of hardware diversity in the existing fleet. However, Tesla clearly wants to maintain only a single software line (no forking) for model S, and perhaps even significant commonality with model X based on apparent hardware similarities. I'm not saying this is good or bad, right or wrong, just that this is how I see Tesla is choosing to manage the business. Given that some updates fix security bugs, delaying updates indefinitely is not a realistic option.

So, since the assumption is that Model X will be release by September 29th (from what I've seen), should we assume that V7 with autopilot function will be available to Model S by then?

I don't think so. My guess is that they were beta testing with their Model S user base, but that they will focus on the new Model X once that has been released.
And frankly, I still hope that they'll fix the glaring UI issues before they distribute v7 to their existing customers.

Well since the model x specs state that lane holding is part of the features and not (coming soon), my money is on V7 release on 9/28 and model x delivary on 9/29
To add to the conversation: The X may have additional camera(s);radar and Ultrasonic sensors that the S does not.....This may make features that are suspected to be in the 7.0 release easier to perform for the X. I think the S may be capable of many functions we all anticipate but more testing might be needed before release.

We may be comparing apples to oranges when it comes to the S 7.0 and the X 7.0

$1.00 says the Model X has the same Autopilot sensor suite as the S.

I am going to need every dollar I have to pay for the X so I can't afford to lose any money:wink:. I will have a gentlemen's bet with you though that the X will have a different number of AP equipment/sensors. Particularly at least one more camera.

I am going to need every dollar I have to pay for the X so I can't afford to lose any money:wink:. I will have a gentlemen's bet with you though that the X will have a different number of AP equipment/sensors. Particularly at least one more camera.

Hmmm... Might be too easy for me to lose that bet if they just added a pair of ultrasonics to compensate for body shape and size ;)

I would be shocked if the Model X didn't have a forward/downward facing camera. I'd call Tesla foolish if not something worse if they didn't offer forward parking camera.

My guess is the X will have 2.0 AP hardware from day 1, but the software at launch will support the same features as 1.0 on the S. In time new features /accuracy will be released with the 2.0 hardware.

My guess is the X will have 2.0 AP hardware from day 1, but the software at launch will support the same features as 1.0 on the S. In time new features /accuracy will be released with the 2.0 hardware.

That might be true of the Sigs, but I bet they are doing everything they can to get it ready to coincide with the launch of the "mass market" cars.

That might be true of the Sigs, but I bet they are doing everything they can to get it ready to coincide with the launch of the "mass market" cars.
History has shown tesla takes longer than some hope to deliver SW and they never hesitate to deliver cars with SW features in due bill. They can press all they want but 1,0 AP is best hypothesis for a while.

It's policy that they upgrade your car when you're in for service. This is a standard approach used by nearly every manufacturer and dealer.

I know, that's what I was saying. I was responding to this:

Is there some known point at which they will force a pending update on you, or is it up to you to accept it?

(IOW, could you choose to stay at 6.2.46 or whatever indefinitely?)

But we don't know if the will respect a request NOT to upgrade the firmware.

It's policy that they upgrade your car when you're in for service. This is a standard approach used by nearly every manufacturer and dealer.

True. But I don't see the value of that comparison. I've never dropped off any other car I've owned at service only to pick it up a day later with an entirely redesigned interface. Point is we should stop making comparisons to other manufacturers and dealers. Tesla is in their own ball game.