Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.? - Musk spills the beans on next update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And this is only the dual motor fleet. The update in question would go to the whole fleet.

I think that the dual motor upgrade will take top priority to get out, but if it is easy to integrate with a more general feature release, they may still do that. I would think that the dual motor fix is low-level code that goes to controllers behind the drivetrain firewall, so it might be quite independent of code that goes to the touchscreen and instruments.

We shall see...

Would be useful if Tesla could at least provide a "road map" of what they currently intend to add to the software in future releases, with a caveat that no promises are made to the delivery schedule or even in releasing the changes - but at least we would know what they are planning to add...

Would be useful if Tesla could at least provide a "road map" of what they currently intend to add to the software in future releases, with a caveat that no promises are made to the delivery schedule or even in releasing the changes - but at least we would know what they are planning to add...

^^This. Would like to have definitive answers from Tesla on these two questions:

1. Will backup camera guidelines ever be possible?
2. Will the SpC taper ever improve as referenced by Elon in the announcement?

I see no possible disadvantage to Tesla from disclosing the answers to these questions.

Tesla has competition? I didn't know anyone else made a long range EV....

He means "potential competition", I think. All other car manufacturers are potentially competitors to Tesla. Clearly some of them are keenly aware that they need to come out with long range EVs, and have made vague statements that they will do so in several years (BMW, Mercedes, AUDI, VW). So far it's just talk and no real products (limited pure electric range hybrids don't count!).

Is there any owner who purchased their Model S primarily because of the onboard software? [Or non-owners who decided not to purchase the car because of the software?]

Providing a general road map of intended new features would not risk warning competitors of Tesla's intentions - especially when the major apps (navigation and media playback) have less functionality than most other vehicles - especially at the Tesla price point. Instead, it would help to set expectations for owners - on what to expect in the next release or two.

C'mon, nothing gets tesla in more hot water with customers than software expectations and release timing. Just goes to show, give people something entirely new (OTA) and they still get upset. If I were tesla I'd be mum about release content and timing to avoid expectations and keep my options open. Thank goodness for loose cannon CEO who gives hints with bad dates.

just curious. what is the size of these firmware downloads? Is there even a way to know since it is automatic?

There's really no way to know, and the size is going to vary by the amount of changes made anyway. When you are able to see the popup screen notification, it's already been downloaded, so time taken to download isn't available either. Most upgrades complete in 15-45 minutes. A few have taken two hours.