Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.? - Musk spills the beans on next update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon is famous for saying 'next month' or 'in about a month' . In the past this is what he thinks it will take. His mind and desires work much quicker than his software engineers can deliver. I would predict beta testing end of December, roll out in March/April.

Yawn... While nice, by no means an impressive update.

Elon needs to address the daily drive creature comforts....

Yup, I'm still pining for a heated steering wheel...

It sure would be nice to get the random audio track option for music stored on thumb drives...:rolleyes:

Or reverse camera guidlelines. That's been in the top five feature requests since the day I took delivery.

I'm sure you all understand that no matter what 'next new feature' is introduced, there will be a crowd of people unimpressed because it's not what they personally wanted. Right?
meerkats.jpg

What should be making you all happy is that they continue to add features. And no doubt there will be a crowd grumbling each time that it wasn't the feature they personally wanted ... totally ignoring the fact that the car continues getting better after purchase.

"Get offa my lawn!!" :)

@Bonnie. ...

Those of us who were supporters before the S was real (you included), should recall lots of promises from Mr. Musk.

Only a few of those have come to fruition in a timely manner.

Seems reasonable 2 years in that some "grumbling" is taking place.

It's just that no matter what they do, there are always complaints that it is not enough. You've seen it. I'm in no way saying that these things cannot be brought up, but it's like nothing can be celebrated.

And if we're playing the 'going back in time' game, I might remind many of you that there are a lot of things you have today that were never promised back then, but are real. Supercharging, for instance.

- - - Updated - - -

My whole point is that they continue to add features, they haven't stopped ... so eventually the features each of you want will be included. I'd be complaining if nothing was happening. But it IS happening. So as long as there is forward momentum, you have every reason to believe your desired features will magically show up one morning.

What other car will do that for you?

I think folks are getting frustrated by the prioritizing of software features, rather than individual items included in each release. Valet mode, camera guidelines, music shuffle all come to mind as things that were supposed to be priorities but have seen themselves pushed to the bottom of the list.

I think folks are getting frustrated by the prioritizing of software features, rather than individual items included in each release. Valet mode, camera guidelines, music shuffle all come to mind as things that were supposed to be priorities but have seen themselves pushed to the bottom of the list.

+1. Calendar integration was a feature very few people asked for. Frankly, I'm still waiting for a nav system that doesn't randomly send me to the middle of a street rather than to the address I selected.

It's just that no matter what they do, there are always complaints that it is not enough. You've seen it. I'm in no way saying that these things cannot be brought up, but it's like nothing can be celebrated.

And if we're playing the 'going back in time' game, I might remind many of you that there are a lot of things you have today that were never promised back then, but are real. Supercharging, for instance.

- - - Updated - - -

My whole point is that they continue to add features, they haven't stopped ... so eventually the features each of you want will be included. I'd be complaining if nothing was happening. But it IS happening. So as long as there is forward momentum, you have every reason to believe your desired features will magically show up one morning.

What other car will do that for you?

What I was thinking (but cleaned up).

I'd also like to remind people that the reason dates are often missed is because the dates were likely next to impossible to meet in the first place. There's been enough this-is-what-it's-like-to-work-for-Elon articles/tidbits that it's become widely known that he places incredible pressure on his staff to do, well, the next to impossible (which would include tight deadlines). Then there have been enough examples of such and such being done and Elon sending it back to the drawing board to be changed/fixed/made perfect. So every time I read about Tesla Time and sarcastic comments about what does next month mean, I physically cringe. Spending some time in Elon's shoes or the shoes of those that work for him might lower the volume on your critical meter. And that in no way is suggesting that fair critique can't happen. Elon is always the first to accept when a mistake has been made and try to correct it.

Re "Tesla Time": my trouble with Tesla isn't that things take a while to come out, but that things get announced publicly and then take far too long to appear. This shows to me that Elon doesn't have a realistic grasp on how some of the internal processes really work and/or how much time his tinkering adds to the process. I'm glad he gets involved personally -- the car is far better because of it. But he needs to understand what that does to production schedules, which he apparently doesn't get.

In a (probably futile) attempt to get this thread back on track, having a system that will alert if you're low on range and redirect to a known charging spot is a big deal.

That will make a real difference for a lot of people who are nervous about range and EVs in general.

Re "Tesla Time": my trouble with Tesla isn't that things take a while to come out, but that things get announced publicly and then take far too long to appear. This shows to me that Elon doesn't have a realistic grasp on how some of the internal processes really work and/or how much time his tinkering adds to the process. I'm glad he gets involved personally -- the car is far better because of it. But he needs to understand what that does to production schedules, which he apparently doesn't get.

Or, he doesn't care. Or, he's learning. Or, he knows and still doesn't care. Or, he does it to see what market reaction for that item will be and then determines how important it is to Tesla. Or, he changes his mind and doesn't care because he feels it's the right decision. Or, when he asks when something will be done his staff are sometimes making incorrect estimations, or they (the staff) do in fact make a deadline and then he sees it (the result) needs to be changed. Or, he's got a lot on his plate and makes a mistake.

We really have no idea 'what he needs to understand'. He may understand it just fine and chooses to do it his way, regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

To please Princess Tesla: There are little warning lights and bells in ICE cars when one is low on fuel. I've been exceptionally grateful for those on many occasions. That the Model S will go a step further and point you to the closest refueling station is an advancement, indeed!

In a (probably futile) attempt to get this thread back on track, having a system that will alert if you're low on range and redirect to a known charging spot is a big deal.

That will make a real difference for a lot of people who are nervous about range and EVs in general.

My wife is one of these people (range anxiety). Despite the fact that we have had our S for about 18 months and I have done some long distance travel, she still has been reluctant to embrace my desire to become an all TM/EV family. We are swapping her SUV for a 'D' next month and this along with a long desired 'Grasshopper' mode would make an excellent firmware 7.0 New Year's eve gift from TM.

Or reverse camera guidlelines. That's been in the top five feature requests since the day I took delivery.

As this is a "firmware" thread, it'd probably useful to point out that it's very likely that guidelines on the backup camera can't be accomplished without a hardware change, as the system appears to use a hardware video overlay for the video image, and thus graphics can't be composited on top of it (which is why the image disappears if menu drops down over it).

Not to say it wouldn't be a useful upgrade to the car, just don't hold you breath for things like this to come to existing cars via firmware. The "heated steering wheel" request is another one that obviously isn't a firmware issue...

Last edited:
I might remind many of you that there are a lot of things you have today that were never promised back then, but are real. Supercharging, for instance.

Nitpick here, but when I put down my deposit, 45 minute quick charge was advertised. So it wasn't called supercharging, or as a network of chargers, but that was advertised as a feature.

Yeah, okay. Not going to get this thread on track.

I'll bite:

In addition to having the car re-direct you when low on charge to the nearest charging location useful, it also implies that the underlying mechanism for "smart routing" will likely have to be in place... which would lead to some future other useful navigation changes that Elon has referred to in terms of trip routing.