Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When your wife drives the S, does she "mind" the rated vs. nav range delta or use some other metric to build/have confidence in arriving without drama?

She won't drive the S. At least not so far. She sees it as my privilege, and doesn't want to step on my toes while the car is still quite new.

And... the "do the nav miles cross with the range miles" is MUCH less of an issue in the Tesla. We both became really good at arriving home with only a few miles in the Leaf. No worries, worked well... I can't count the number of times I rolled in the driveway with 3 miles. Totally freaks out Tesla drivers who've never owned a Leaf. :)

- - - Updated - - -

They obviously didn't hire the same engineers that did the Windows save dialog or Mac OS X installer dialog!

There really is an XKCD for everything:

estimation.png

The bizarre navigation issue we saw with E and W Warren street has disappeared! It looks like the nav thought there was a problem where E and W came together. No issue showed on the map, at least that I could see.
The issue of going to the wrong location may have been because I went to a location that had been saved under 6.1. I don't know how but maybe.

ju

As noted yesterday ( Firmware 6.2 - Page 27 ), my navigation is playing up. I've reset screens, etc, though wanted to ask one of you to try this as I can no longer find a route to my work favourite. Thankfully, this also fails with a search for a point of interest. This definitely used to work pre 6.2 as I often go to work I would have noticed this ;-)

Can someone please attempt to navigate to "union station parking garage Seattle" please?

I've "noted" this already, though would feel better if this wasn't just me seeing this
I discovered the same thing (I think). I selected my work favorite (as I have done a few times before) and although the address looks correct, it tried to navigate me to some bizarre location.

basically the address was 933 17th Avenue S.W. and it tried to find: 306200 17 Ave E. I was navigating from an area that I don't know to well (essentially to get out) but I had already gone a bit out of my way by the time I realized something wacky was going on.

Slight change of tack. I was under the impression that the TACC hold time was now 30 seconds so I was annoyed to find that I am getting a 3 second hold only. Was about to raise a bug but decided to RT*M and discovered that hold is 30 seconds while on the highway and 3 seconds otherwise. I'm not sure what the logic is in this approach and how it decides what qualifies as a highway - maybe it is dependent on what speed is set?
Not sure if this is common knowledge, I missed this detail somehow.

(Slight change of TACC? :))

Ahh, thanks! In the release notes I think it said "when the weather is clear" and I wasn't sure how it was determining that. I had a lot of the short 3-5 sec transitions to hold and I was about to report it as a bug too...the much longer pause before hold is so nice! Wish it did that all the time (actually, I could go for a 3-5 minute pause!)

- - - Updated - - -

No because you can have a trip that doesn't work in reverse. For instance, if the last leg of your trip is 150 miles from the Supercharger, you don't have enough range to get back to that Supercharger to get back home. There are also less extreme cases where the trip is possible, but the Tesla's charging guidance won't be long enough for your round trip needs.

Obviously with proper planning this is mitigable, but given how spotty destination charging is in 2015, this seems like something that should be baked into the product.

The car would have to assume that you have no driving while at the destination, no charging, and no loss in milage just from vampire drain. That's probably a more dangerous assumption than just letting you figure it out.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm starting to rethink my opinion on blind spot. While I still think the indicators are a bit too subtle (a more noticible color would help), I think I like them where they are. Now, when I go to change lanes I first glance at the speedo to check for the indicators. While I would never trust the sensors to tell me that the lane is clear, If the indicator is lit up I immediately know a lane change is not possible without turning my head. This gets my eyes back on the road sooner.

If the indicators are off, then I do the rear camera/mirror/quick head turn.

Using it this way, I prefer blind spot indicators next to the speedo as opposed to having to glance all the way over to a mirror. In other words, I'm starting to feel that Tesla's implementation might make more sense. Just an opinion of course.

I'm starting to rethink my opinion on blind spot. While I still think the indicators are a bit too subtle (a more noticible color would help), I think I like them where they are. Now, when I go to change lanes I first glance at the speedo to check for the indicators. While I would never trust the sensors to tell me that the lane is clear, If the indicator is lit up I immediately know a lane change is not possible without turning my head. This gets my eyes back on the road sooner.

If the indicators are off, then I do the rear camera/mirror/quick head turn.

Using it this way, I prefer blind spot indicators next to the speedo as opposed to having to glance all the way over to a mirror. In other words, I'm starting to feel that Tesla's implementation might make more sense. Just an opinion of course.
Stockholm Syndrom?
stockholmsyndrom.png

With my Classic P85, I do not have Tesla's blind spot, so take this FWIW.

I'm struggling with Todd's rationale. Seems like too many steps.

Manual (without blind spot) is 1.5 steps. Look in mirror, then if clear look over shoulder (I call that additional .5 because you have already turned that way). Then change.

I have had prior cars with blind spot display in mirror. That also required 1.5 steps to check at first. Turn head partially to glance at mirror for both visual mirror check and to see sensor. If clear, turn a fraction further to actually look. Then change lanes. Over time, as I came to trust sensor, I dispensed with the over-the shoulder, and it reduced to 1 step.

I can't see the Tesla approach ever being less than 2 steps. With Todd's camera check, 3. Looking at dash, then cam, then mirror, then visual check... 3.5. Could a car sneak into blind spot while you are swiveling your head? Probably.

Having said that, I do believe that Tesla's approach is borne out of 2 things: 1) mirrors built without display, so have to do it on dash to avoid expensive retrofit. 2) optimism about how fast they could deliver auto-pilot features. I'm really coming to believe that early deliver of a car without blind spot displays in mirrors or parking sensors was less an oversight, and more an expectation that they would quickly leapfrog these technologies with auto-pilot. As reality has settled in, they've had to add these driver assist features. I can just visualize the 2011 meetings: Musk saying "we don't need those things, because the car will drive itself soon", and the more experienced car guys leaving the room saying "we'll see about that".

I can just visualize the 2011 meetings: Musk saying "we don't need those things, because the car will drive itself soon", and the more experienced car guys leaving the room saying "we'll see about that".

Yes, those must have been the same meetings that dealt with centre consoles, passenger grab handles and rear seat coathooks.

Yes, those must have been the same meetings that dealt with centre consoles, passenger grab handles and rear seat coathooks.

I honestly think those (and perhaps partially the parking sensors) were driven by a clean and minimalist interior design ethic. So that comes down to taste and feature preference. Personally, I'm totally aligned with that design ethic, and I like the difference. My Classic rear view mirror (now obsoleted by sensors) is really retro and beautiful... almost no plastic base. Ditto side mirrors. Beautiful... and I appreciate that they held off on folding until they could incorporate into same visual design. Front floor line reminds me of old Fury III station wagon... feels so spacious without console. One man's meat, another man's poison.

I honestly think those (and perhaps partially the parking sensors) were driven by a clean and minimalist interior design ethic. So that comes down to taste and feature preference. Personally, I'm totally aligned with that design ethic, and I like the difference. My Classic rear view mirror (now obsoleted by sensors) is really retro and beautiful... almost no plastic base. Ditto side mirrors. Beautiful... and I appreciate that they held off on folding until they could incorporate into same visual design. Front floor line reminds me of old Fury III station wagon... feels so spacious without console. One man's meat, another man's poison.

Overall I like the minimalist interior of the Model S. However, the need to storage and decently placed cupholders has me on the wait list for a center console.

And the lack of grab handles on a car with this kind of acceleration is just silly. I notice people grabbing anything they can find or just plain panicking when I accelerate hard, and I only have an S85. I only launch quickly now when showing someone who wants to feel it or when by myself. Fortunately My daily commute offers several point to do so.

Haven't seen it mentioned, but a ranger was installing 6.2 (2.4.136) on my fiance's P85 earlier while he was installing my next gen rear seats in my P85D.

Unfortunately his laptop wasn't cooperating with my home WiFi for some reason and it kept disconnecting in the middle of his laptop downloading the firmware (to the laptop). Weird because I have a WiFi AP right there at the garage for the cars (which have perfect signal).

My P85D has 2.4.124 and he said I'll probably get .136 OTA on it soon.

My fiance's P85 is scheduled for contactor replacement near the end of the month, so, not too worried about it. I'll ask for whatever the latest firmware is then.

Haven't seen it mentioned, but a ranger was installing 6.2 (2.4.136) on my fiance's P85 earlier while he was installing my next gen rear seats in my P85D.

Unfortunately his laptop wasn't cooperating with my home WiFi for some reason and it kept disconnecting in the middle of his laptop downloading the firmware (to the laptop). Weird because I have a WiFi AP right there at the garage for the cars (which have perfect signal).
Very interesting. First mention of that software build. No one has entered it into the Firmware Upgrade Tracker, either, so this might be brand new.

decently placed cupholders has me on the wait list for a center console.

Good luck on that. I placed my order for an Obeche Matte console on Nov 30, 2013. This is the last email I got, "you are ~1230 on the waitlist out of over 3500 customers. We estimate that a console will be available to ship to you in the April..." And that was April, 2014! Still nothing. I really can't understand this. This program needs to be cancelled.

The huge unexpected positive is that I'm fairly certain this firmware update has significantly improved the pack heating when on shore power. I say that because while it was 29 degrees F here when my wife left this morning, she left without a regen limit. That has never happened before in conditions quite a bit warmer than this. Add to that the following bit of information: we normally preheat the car, with range mode off, to warm the pack, for anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes in the morning, before she leaves. This morning we did not do that, because I didn't want her to try to connect with the app before I saw car-side whether or not the update had completed successfully. I had timed the charge of the batter to end within about 30 minutes of when she was leaving, but I usually come pretty close to that. It has been our experience that no matter what we have done to heat the pack in the past when on shore power, the pack never heats beyond a regen limt of 30 if it is cold enough to limit regen beyond that, as it certainly was this morning.

I've had temps colder than 29F in my garage overnight, and if I complete my normal daily charging within 20-30 minutes of my departure I don't have a regen limit.

How long is a charge session for you and at what current do you charge at?

Good luck on that. I placed my order for an Obeche Matte console on Nov 30, 2013. This is the last email I got, "you are ~1230 on the waitlist out of over 3500 customers. We estimate that a console will be available to ship to you in the April..." And that was April, 2014! Still nothing. I really can't understand this. This program needs to be cancelled.

Hey man, building a high-tech car is one thing, but a box made of wood and leather? That's a different level.