Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2 - Navigation for non tech package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For clarity I'm not talking about how apparently now navi is included with the car and not part of the tech package - I'm talking about basically giving navi to customers with older cars who didn't buy the tech package.

And for clarity, I think most people that don't have tech don't expet to get nav. To me nav is navigation, not trip planning. When you punch in the destination and it tells you which superchargers to go to, and for how long I would call that in the trip planning stage. Then there is a "Navigate" button on the bottom of the list of superchargers. Pressing that button puts you in the navigation stage. I have no expectations to ever see that button.

I doubt anyone without NAV expects NAV... but BACK ON TOPIC...

There are TWO big features here:
- Range Assurance
- Trip Planner

Obviously the latter of those two would be exclusive to navigation, or so it sounds. My wife tweeted at Tesla and hasn't heard a reply but her forthcoming car is non-nav non-tech 60 kWh so we doubt she gets any trip planning. I understand and get that. HOWEVER... it seems like Range Assurance would be fairly easy.

Something tells me that, driving around in a w/tech-pkg car, it isn't constantly going to "guess" a route to a nearby charger. No, instead, it is likely to have some sort of "buffer" in there and it will do simply mileage as the crow-flies. Non-tech cars already do this, showing you rough approximation distances to a nearby way-point, doesn't it? (I don't know as I don't have hands-on w/non-tech but this is what I've heard).

It seems entirely possible that non-tech cars MIGHT have Range Assurance, since that is just a simple use of the existing map/GPS/supercharger data already accessible on those cars. It might not be able to navigate you there, but hopefully this feature is part of 6.2 for the non-nav/non-tech cars. Of course, we won't know for sure for a few weeks, probably....

Well, if the update does nothing other than change the version number of the software for me, I'll still be happy and have no right to complain. The current google map with real-time traffic is more important to me than any of the trip/route/nav/etc features honestly. It is something I use and rely on every day for commuting.

If the hardware limitation is true, and is simple low $ flash that is missing, seems like Tesla missed an opportunity to get some post sale revenue for software upgrades that would cost them near nothing (beyond 3rd party nav license) to turn on. To me, original nav was not worth the $1000 upgrade fee, but I'd pay that now to get the full tamale if I could.

Has anyone here actually gotten the $1000 nav upgrade with a non-tech car? I've heard multiple mention of it, but never confirmation that it has ever actually happened.

Well, if the update does nothing other than change the version number of the software for me, I'll still be happy and have no right to complain. The current google map with real-time traffic is more important to me than any of the trip/route/nav/etc features honestly. It is something I use and rely on every day for commuting.

If the hardware limitation is true, and is simple low $ flash that is missing, seems like Tesla missed an opportunity to get some post sale revenue for software upgrades that would cost them near nothing (beyond 3rd party nav license) to turn on. To me, original nav was not worth the $1000 upgrade fee, but I'd pay that now to get the full tamale if I could.

Has anyone here actually gotten the $1000 nav upgrade with a non-tech car? I've heard multiple mention of it, but never confirmation that it has ever actually happened.
See this thread for details on those who have reported getting the Nav update. As well as reports from others that have asked their SC and been told "no". YMMV Obvs. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...re-are-Model-S-without-the-Tech-Package/page3

I don't believe Elon would say the entire Model S fleet would be getting these new 6.2 NAV features and then not fulfill his commitment. But saying that, I have been told there is no way we are getting turn-by-turn navigation, as there are hardware restrictions. These restrictions seem to be related to less RAM with non tech package cars.

I am 60 non-tech owner and do think we have a chance of getting the trip planning and (hopefully) directions in google maps. The Maps app seems to just be google maps and rendering icons, route lines and listing out directions is what it seems very capable of doing.

I do agree that having the Navigon maps in the heads-up-display is a fat chance, which is where I believe the hardware is lacking.

In Maps, if you search for a destination (address or otherwise), it will tell you the distance as the bird flies. I don' think it would be hard to render a route line and give you a list of directions or just stops where you need to do your charging. I know making Navigation standard on the non-tech cars will help simplify manufacturing operations, but it also indicates wanting to simplify software as well. If they figured out a way to have one app, Nav, with the same level of interaction regardless of Navigon turn-by-turn directions that would be awesome! It seems we should at least get what google maps is capable of doing. We obviously have GPS hardware as it plots you as you travel as well.

Will the first non-tech package to receive 6.2 please post your NAV results.

Yes please. Buddy of mine doesn't have tech package either. I'm hoping we get the new functionality revealed on Thursday. No, I don't need Nav (turn by turn) and I don't expect TBT or feel entitled to it. I DO expect the new features announced because elon said "whole MS fleet" and I'm gonna hold him to it.

I expect the nav software (Navigon) generates a route which is then displayed on the google map. So, without the nav software and maps, there won't be the ability to calculate a route to use for distance purposes unless Tesla queries a Google generated route over the air.

Of course, the whole nav paradigm could change in the next release but I'm not optimistic.

I have tech on my car but was told by a tesla rep that trip planning would be included on non tech cars. Tech is much more than NAV. Several people commented that they didn't feel like it was fair for no tech owners to get NAV which isn't what elon said. The two promised things didn't include turn by turn directions and frankly if non tech does get nav who cares. We still have power lift gate, DRL, keyless entry and walkaway. Etc...

Several people commented that they didn't feel like it was fair for no tech owners to get NAV ... frankly if non tech does get nav who cares. We still have power lift gate, DRL, keyless entry and walkaway. Etc...
Well, factory Navigation systems typically add $1,500-2,500 to a vehicle, so when I shelled out $4k for the tech package that was a huge consideration for me. I wouldn't have spent $4k to get a power liftgate, DRL, and automatic handles. If (and it's a big if, I think others are correct that non-tech will get a static map showing the route but not anything like navigation) people that didn't buy nav basically got nav for free, I think I'd consider that an affront to what I paid. You're entitled to your opinion, but careful when telling others how to think or feel.

Well, factory Navigation systems typically add $1,500-2,500 to a vehicle, so when I shelled out $4k for the tech package that was a huge consideration for me. I wouldn't have spent $4k to get a power liftgate, DRL, and automatic handles. If (and it's a big if, I think others are correct that non-tech will get a static map showing the route but not anything like navigation) people that didn't buy nav basically got nav for free, I think I'd consider that an affront to what I paid. You're entitled to your opinion, but careful when telling others how to think or feel.

Welcome to the world of technology!!!

That's like complaining that you bought a computer last month and it came with X memory and Z storage and now computers are selling with more of both for less. Same with televisions and mobile phones. I don't know why you're getting all bent out of shape over the possibility that others may get something of a bonus. Every single update to Nav and route prediction that Elon mentioned as part of 6.2, and everything you got out of 6.1, did you complain about getting those as a bonus that you didn't pay for? Doubtful. With 6.1 we got a pair of white lines when we back up. You got more and we didn't complain.

The fact of the matter is that non-tech cars will likely not get turn-by-turn, so you still have your Nav package and we still don't. If we get what Elon described with the route prediction, we're getting the same thing you are so we're still even. If, by some chance, we do get some sort of navigation with Google or otherwise, big deal. Bonus. If not, oh, well. We're not complaining either way. You shouldn't either.

I have tech on my car but was told by a tesla rep that trip planning would be included on non tech cars. Tech is much more than NAV. Several people commented that they didn't feel like it was fair for no tech owners to get NAV which isn't what elon said. The two promised things didn't include turn by turn directions and frankly if non tech does get nav who cares. We still have power lift gate, DRL, keyless entry and walkaway. Etc...

Interesting... BTW the configurator for ordering a new car has now pulled out Nav from the tech package. It seems all new cars will have Nav included automatically.

Welcome to the world of technology!!!

That's like complaining that you bought a computer last month and it came with X memory and Z storage and now computers are selling with more of both for less. Same with televisions and mobile phones. I don't know why you're getting all bent out of shape over the possibility that others may get something of a bonus. Every single update to Nav and route prediction that Elon mentioned as part of 6.2, and everything you got out of 6.1, did you complain about getting those as a bonus that you didn't pay for? Doubtful. With 6.1 we got a pair of white lines when we back up. You got more and we didn't complain.

The fact of the matter is that non-tech cars will likely not get turn-by-turn, so you still have your Nav package and we still don't. If we get what Elon described with the route prediction, we're getting the same thing you are so we're still even. If, by some chance, we do get some sort of navigation with Google or otherwise, big deal. Bonus. If not, oh, well. We're not complaining either way. You shouldn't either.
NO. That's not what I'm talking about. You're not reading carefully. I'm not talking about new purchases. I'm talking about two people who bought the same car on the same day, one spent more and they give the other guy the feature for free. That's the scenario (which I just said was unlikely) that would upset me.

NO. That's not what I'm talking about. You're not reading carefully. I'm not talking about new purchases. I'm talking about two people who bought the same car on the same day, one spent more and they give the other guy the feature for free. That's the scenario (which I just said was unlikely) that would upset me.

Let's wait until next week when we actually know what 6.2 gives the non-tech owners, then we can resume this discussion. No sense in arguing over speculation.