Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where the heck did this come from that reboot accelerates updates? Pure Blarney Stone! There was one report from someone whose update had failed saying reboot brought back alarm clock, which makes sense. But if you haven't received update, reboot does zilch.

There's no way to know if downloading an update is stalled on a vehicle so rebooting could be a solution, but it might not be.

There's no way to know if downloading an update is stalled on a vehicle so rebooting could be a solution, but it might not be.
New owners appear to be grasping at straws re updates. The rollout takes weeks or months. I'd hope with torque steer they prioritize d's since they get highest benefit. But you should still expect weeks, not days or minutes.

New owners appear to be grasping at straws re updates. The rollout takes weeks or months. I'd hope with torque steer they prioritize d's since they get highest benefit. But you should still expect weeks, not days or minutes.

See my post above. The reboot might help some people, so it's worth a try if someone is waiting for a firmware update. Also, this is my second Tesla so I'm not a new owner ...

And old owners appear more than willing to keep jumping in to discussions they have no first-hand knowledge of to offer their "wisdom" that in this case is just off the mark.

As has been pointed out several times before, while typical firmware releases may have taken weeks or months in the past, that has not been the pattern with P85D firmware updates. There have been roughly have a dozen updates to the firmware since the first P85Ds were released. And in rough terms, from reports here, I'm guessing in many cases 25-50% of people here reported having the update within the first 24-48 hours, and generally 75% of P85D owners had the update within four or five days.

This update to .140 is an exception for many of us.

So you can keep talking about updates taking weeks or months, and we're going to keep ignoring you, because we have first-hand experience that tells us you are wrong.

And old owners appear more than willing to keep jumping in to discussions they have no first-hand knowledge of to offer their "wisdom" that in this case is just off the mark.

As has been pointed out several times before, while typical firmware releases may have taken weeks or months in the past, that has not been the pattern with P85D firmware updates. There have been roughly have a dozen updates to the firmware since the first P85Ds were released. And in rough terms, from reports here, I'm guessing in many cases 25-50% of people here reported having the update within the first 24-48 hours, and generally 75% of P85D owners had the update within four or five days.

So you can keep talking about updates taking weeks or months, and we're going to keep ignoring you, because we have first-hand experience that tells us you are wrong.

@Andyw2100: Exactly. These updates appear to be rolling out very quickly for the P85D while on my P85 they were much slower. My suspicion with .140 is that there's a new bug which was discovered and Tesla is going to push P85D owners to .141 or .142 in the next few days.

OK - So, good luck with that and enjoy the anxiety! Make sure you go out to the garage every couple of hours to check.

@Andyw2100: Exactly. These updates appear to be rolling out very quickly for the P85D while on my P85 they were much slower. My suspicion with .140 is that there's a new bug which was discovered and Tesla is going to push P85D owners to .141 or .142 in the next few days.

no need to get nasty. It may be faster this time for d's because of torque steer. New owners should have more realistic expectations going forward. And, truly possible another dot release or 3 May slow it.

no need to get nasty. It may be faster this time for d's because of torque steer. New owners should have more realistic expectations going forward. And, truly possible another dot release or 3 May slow it.

Torque steer? Do you mean torque sleep?

New or old owners, it'd be helpful if we didn't add to the issues by confusing terminology between motors and steering mechanisms.

Torque steer is a phenomenon that mostly affects front-wheel-drive cars where heavy acceleration causes the vehicle to veer to the left or right

The last I heard Tesla doesn't sell cars with torque steer issues.

OK - So, good luck with that and enjoy the anxiety! Make sure you go out to the garage every couple of hours to check.

I never said I was anxious or that I was checking every couple of hours.

But for Tomas to be giving the misinformation that P85D firmware updates take weeks or months to complete is doing brand new P85D owners who just received their cars a disservice.

The P85Ds started being delivered in December. It's the beginning of February. There have been about six updates. Most of us have most of them. How could each update be taking weeks or months, as Tomas asserted?

You're really going to give me grief simply for for the fact that I was trying to prevent the wrong information from being given out?

See my post above. The reboot might help some people, so it's worth a try if someone is waiting for a firmware update. Also, this is my second Tesla so I'm not a new owner ...

Rebooting isn't going to help anyone. I'll repeat myself again. Tesla is not going to roll out a software update to all P85D's simultaneously. It will be a phased rollout, and updates might not even come for weeks or months after the first few reports. Tesla is not stupid and they are not going to risk rolling out to all P85D's at the same time simply because if there's a bug in the firmware the last thing they need is bricking their flagship model across the board. The Press would have a field day with that. People need to be patient here. If you are a new Tesla owner unfamiliar with this process please stop telling everyone you haven't got the latest patch update yet. It might take a few weeks or months whenever your car is scheduled in the randomized rollout by Tesla. Rebooting is not going to magically trigger an update. That's just silly nonsense. Whoever spread that rumor should donate their P85D to me. But by all means if you want to sit there rebooting your car over and over again go ahead and have a field day. If you do and it does work on the 373636794'th time please don't post back here that your reboot triggered the update bc you'll just be wasting more space on this thread.

I never said I was anxious or that I was checking every couple of hours.

But for Tomas to be giving the misinformation that P85D firmware updates take weeks or months to complete is doing brand new P85D owners who just received their cars a disservice.

The P85Ds started being delivered in December. It's the beginning of February. There have been about six updates. Most of us have most of them. How could each update be taking weeks or months, as Tomas asserted?

You're really going to give me grief simply for for the fact that I was trying to prevent the wrong information from being given out?

6.1 has been in rollout for over 1 month. And not done. There are 2 subsets within 6.1, those pre torque sleep and those post. Dot releases within those categories are bug fixes, and not everyone will get all of them. Tesla is clearly accelerating torque sleep to D which is why you have illusion it is going faster. That happened once before with lowering removal release. Other than that 2+ years evidence is weeks and months, you should expect accordingly.

6.1 has been in rollout for over 1 month. And not done. There are 2 subsets within 6.1, those pre torque sleep and those post. Dot releases within those categories are bug fixes, and not everyone will get all of them. Tesla is clearly accelerating torque sleep to D which is why you have illusion it is going faster. That happened once before with lowering removal release. Other than that 2+ years evidence is weeks and months, you should expect accordingly.

I am not talking about firmware releases limited to version 6.1.

I am talking about EVERY firmware release there has been for the P85D, which included some from version 6.0. For you to say I have the illusion that upgrades are happening faster implies that they actually aren't. That just isn't the case. The P85Ds are getting firmware updates faster than Tesla has rolled out updates in the past. That is not my opinion, that is not an illusion, that is not speculation, that is simply a fact.

Do I know why this is happening? Is it possibly because the dual engines pull the updates through the internet faster? Is it possibly because the extra horsepower makes the computers run faster, so all the updates can come at once? Perhaps it's the 3.2 second 0-60 time that is making the updates fast. I'm not a technical guy, so I'm really not certain. It might be that we all got little cards with the cars that explaned how we needed to line up the valve stems at exactly twelve o'clock when we park, and I expect those of us receiving the updates have been doing it. Or maybe, and I know this is a crazy idea, but bear with me on this one--it's really far out there--maybe it could possibly be related to the fact that there just aren't a heck of a lot of P85Ds sold yet, so it doesn't take all that much to cover the entire P85D fleet. Could that be it?

Seriously, I don't know why this is hard for those of you without P85Ds to understand: P85Ds have been getting firmware updates faster than the rate at which Tesla has sent previous updates. Period. End of story. Now let me get back to the garage so I can align my valve stems and check for .140 again. I think I missed checking last hour.

The P85D has had more updates in the past ~45 days than my P85 received in 10 months. This is not a complaint. Keep them coming. :)

That just tells you how many bugs and screwups tesla had in their firmware. Lots of releases like this indicate a very bad software team, not a good one.

Frankly what they are doing is very dangerous. The fact that the screwed up both the brakes AND the sport steering in these releases is VERY disturbing.

That just tells you how many bugs and screwups tesla had in their firmware. Lots of releases like this indicate a very bad software team, not a good one.

That really depends on the methodology the software team employs. With Lean/Agile processes, (not saying they're using these methodologies but I wouldn't be surprised if they were), quick, small, iterative releases are the defacto standard and recommended, especially when experimenting with new technology like torque sleep. The longer you take to put out a huge release, the chance for bugs/errors goes way up, plus you may spend a ton of time programming something that doesn't actually work or that the customer doesn't actually want, fail fast and iterate improvements to get more quickly to the optimal solution.

My guess is that they're testing two different solutions, one for .139, and one for .140, on P85D's to try to get real world data for a more optimal version coming soon. Ideally they'd want to look at how these versions perform in various places in the country based on temps, elevation, driver types, etc.

That really depends on the methodology the software team employs. With Lean/Agile processes, quick, small, iterative releases are the defacto standard and recommended, especially when experimenting with new technology like torque sleep. The longer you take to put out a huge release, the chance for bugs/errors goes way up, plus you may spend a ton of time programming something that doesn't actually work or that the customer doesn't actually want, fail fast and iterate improvements to get more quickly to the optimal solution.

My guess is that they're testing two different solutions, one for .139, and one for .140, on P85D's to try to get real world data for a more optimal version coming soon. Ideally they'd want to look at how these versions perform in various places in the country based on temps, elevation, driver types, etc.

LOL there's no new features in these patch releases. They are bug fixes. They are not going to announce to the world what bugs they are fixing with each patch release. The press would have a field day if the knew all the details of what was screwed up in each release. And I'm fully aware of software deployment strategies. Trust me this isn't Agile. More like rush don't test release get complaints fix real fast release again break more things don't test wash rinse repeat.