Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember in previous updates this sometimes happened. Has anyone tried the turning it to Low and then back to Standard trick to see if that returns the regen to the old way? #olderteslaownerwisdom

This ^

I know we have over 1,000 posts to sift through now, but it was like 10 posts ago that someone had recently suggested to try this to resolve your issue. It has been confirmed by I think 2 different sources that there was no change in regen (intentional or otherwise) if you are not getting enough regen power that you are now forced to hit the brakes then something is wrong. I am talking about those posting a real and noticeable difference that is dramatically affecting their stopping distance.

Anything else about it being "smoother" is just psychological and there has been no real change. I know when I got 6.0 I had heard comments about the regen being "smoother" and tested it out and it did seem like there was something different, but I am sure it is just a placebo effect and nothing more because it still overall feels and functions the same to me.

But if you are seeing half the regen power from before and you are set to standard, try switching it to low and back again... if this still doesn't fix your issue then go to the service center and have them take a look...

Definitely noticed a much smoother deceleration with regen when coming off of cruise control, which I thought was great!

I wonder why some cars are getting this and others are not. I did not receive any change to my regen behavior at all. I drive about 90 miles a day, mostly freeway and use Cruise quite a bit. Unless I start pressing on the accelerator as I disengage, I still get the rapid full on regen, brake lights and all. (I did do the Normal/Standard and Re-Boot just to be sure).

I wonder why some cars are getting this and others are not. I did not receive any change to my regen behavior at all. I drive about 90 miles a day, mostly freeway and use Cruise quite a bit. Unless I start pressing on the accelerator as I disengage, I still get the rapid full on regen, brake lights and all. (I did do the Normal/Standard and Re-Boot just to be sure).

I am not quite sure about others perception, but the disengage from CC is the only difference that I have noted. I have previously noticed some differences when its cooler outside, but in this case it was 75. On a few occasions, I had been traveling about 80 mph, up a hill, while exiting the highway on CC. When I disengaged, it was a very violent transition, one that would actually thrust occupants forward. With all the talk about regen changing, I happened to be in CC in the same situation yesterday, so I disengaged without putting my foot on the accelerator and it still got to full regen and slowed the car down just as well before, but without the harsh thrust forward. It was actually more like removing the foot from the accelerator.

My normal practice was to put the foot on the accelerator then disengage because of the thrust, but now I don't feel as that is necessary. I will try the reboot/settings sequence and see if I still notice the difference.

So on this thread over at the Tesla Motors forum, Regen improvement in V6.0 | Forums | Tesla Motors, I analyzed some videos an owner did. He video'd his instrument panel coming off regen at 30 mph on v5.12 and then did it again on v6.0. I went through the video frame by frame to come up with the data in the graphs. You can see the cruise control regen difference.

I would love it if someone who is still on v5 could do the same video, but instead of coming off cruise, just drive at a constant speed (30, 40, 50 mph, etc) and then let go off the accelerator and video all the way down to 5 mph. You'll need to find a nice long straight road without much traffic on it. Then, do the same video when you upgrade to v6.

@Nigel - I'm pretty sure the SvC is just reloading 6.0.15. The Gen 2 door handles require a different firmware driver and I bet the easiest way to get that through is to perform a software update. Also, if you check visible tesla, it should tell you the current firmware your car is running.

Had VT running just for fun, it didn't show any changes to FW. Odd thing was my phone just showed "Tesla Model S - New Software Available" not that it was updating. Guess that flashing a module could cause something like that to happen.

Another thought: If they re-downloaded .15 to your car, perhaps the server sends the notification to the app when the download completes?

On v6.0 (1.65.15) and I just got a phone notification that a new software version is available. Car is in for a door handle replacement right now so I don't know if it's related to that and have no way of checking till tomorrow a.m.

Got the same. Just went down and told the car to update. I'll check in the morning but probably a point update to fix bugs

So on this thread over at the Tesla Motors forum, Regen improvement in V6.0 | Forums | Tesla Motors, I analyzed some videos an owner did. He video'd his instrument panel coming off regen at 30 mph on v5.12 and then did it again on v6.0. I went through the video frame by frame to come up with the data in the graphs. You can see the cruise control regen difference.

Thanks! Finally some concrete evidence! The regen difference I feel is exactly like in the second graph. Perceptibly smoother initial attack, but overall not a big change. I was starting believe it was just a placebo effect, but your graphs show that there may indeed be a change in the behaviour.

Thanks again!

Having repeated problems with my 3G connection dropping out. Google maps of course is lost as is nav during these times. I have rebooted the screen each time and things seem to return to normal eventually.

With 6.0, about half the time 3G would take 10 minutes to come on when starting the car. Now that I've turned off all energy saving, that problem has gone away. There are occasional outages, but they're less frequent than under 5.x.

With 5.x, I would still see bars, but the words "3G" would disappear. Rebooting and waiting about five minutes would solve the issue. With 6.0, all the bars disappear and rebooting doesn't seem to have any impact. It's a matter of waiting 5-15 minutes regardless.

With 6.0, about half the time 3G would take 10 minutes to come on when starting the car. Now that I've turned off all energy saving, that problem has gone away. There are occasional outages, but they're less frequent than under 5.x.

With 5.x, I would still see bars, but the words "3G" would disappear. Rebooting and waiting about five minutes would solve the issue. With 6.0, all the bars disappear and rebooting doesn't seem to have any impact. It's a matter of waiting 5-15 minutes regardless.

Yes, you've described my experience exactly with 6.0. Took a while to realize the loss of 3G was just at start up. I've turned off my energy saving options now, so hopefully that will help things until there is a fix.