Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes! The titanium shield shall be my excuse to call Fremont Service Center. ;)

Now I'm curious, did anyone here with a Model S older than March 6 received the update OTA? Maybe they are only pushing the update to newer cars with the titanium shield?

I got the 5.9 update yesterday. Loaded it last night and it's working nicely today. Haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but so far so good.

My car entered production March 14, so I probably have the Shield. The car delivered March 21 with 5.8.10, and I had yet to see the OTA update. (I'm on wifi pretty much everywhere except when driving).
I called my DS that had 30 deliveries today, to stage the 5.9 update. They told me sure stop by.
It took them 20 mins to stage it.
About 30mins later I installed the update on my own, it took 45 mins. Went without a hitch and all changes work as expected.

So I just completed my normal 80% charge that previously yielded 204 Rated Miles, with 5.9 the same charge yields 214 Rated Miles. The car has a total of 700 Miles & it's a week old.

Last edited:
I'm a happy camper!

ma4y3ymu.jpg

As noted earlier, Tesla Burlingame picked up the car, installed the update and delivered the car to work. Kudos to them! As has become my routine, gave the nice Tesla employee an EA PS4 title - appropriately enough, Need for Speed Rivals - from our company store here as a token of thanks.

Just finished charging to 90%; 182.3 miles rated now vs 174 with 5.8.10:

ute2a2yp.jpg

Realized what I was missing and what the fuss was all about! On my commute today, I chose to go to Low at 55+ mph (as before) and could immediately tell the difference from the 5.8 days. The car feels much more planted and there's seemingly less body roll when it goes over slightly uneven pavement. The Standard ride height feels much more like a high-ride SUV-like vehicle in comparison.

Just thought of something. We might not really notice the true potential of the new algorithm until we have retrained the system to what a full battery is. Not worth range charging for no reason, but perhaps there is a hidden gem waiting the next time we charge from low to range charge.

Stopped by the Seattle SC this afternoon to discuss today's developments. I'm soon to need my 12.5K servicing, and asked about the protective retrofit, which they said will be available in a couple of weeks, and which they could do at that time. So I scheduled all of that. Mentioned I am late in getting software updates, and they offered to put 5.9 in the car. I can confirm all of the good things after short testing. But...it seems to me that my acceleration has noticeably improved (S85, rev A battery). I even skidded on hard acceleration on my neighborhood street (ok, wet roads). Can anyone else confirm my impression of better acceleration?

Before applying the update, I charged to 70% to 162 rated miles, and after the install, had 176 rated miles. Am charging up to 90% now to see what that number will be.

Realized what I was missing and what the fuss was all about! On my commute today, I chose to go to Low at 55+ mph (as before) and could immediately tell the difference from the 5.8 days. The car feels much more planted and there's seemingly less body roll when it goes over slightly uneven pavement. The Standard ride height feels much more like a high-ride SUV-like vehicle in comparison.

Yes, thank you! It may be subtle but I do believe it is noticeable. Now just imagine the difference if there was another 1/4 inch of lowering like there was back with 5.6. On a heavy vehicle a lower Cg is a lot less roll torque.

So I just got 5.9 (1.51.88). Although I have Wifi at home (kinda weak reception in the garage though), I ended up getting the update today over the air while parked for two hours. On a hunch, two days ago, I turned OFF energy saver mode making it that the car would not go to sleep. Now that I've got the update, I've turned Energy Saver back on.

The only new thing I've noticed that I hadn't seen mentioned here is that the Media Player App Settings screen now has a toggle option for Slacker Audio Quality. You can choose Medium or Best, with a note saying choose Best only when in strong cell signal coverage area. Maybe that setting was in a previous release, but I just noticed it now.

Stopped by the Seattle SC this afternoon to discuss today's developments. I'm soon to need my 12.5K servicing, and asked about the protective retrofit, which they said will be available in a couple of weeks, and which they could do at that time. So I scheduled all of that. Mentioned I am late in getting software updates, and they offered to put 5.9 in the car. I can confirm all of the good things after short testing. But...it seems to me that my acceleration has noticeably improved (S85, rev A battery). I even skidded on hard acceleration on my neighborhood street (ok, wet roads). Can anyone else confirm my impression of better acceleration?

Before applying the update, I charged to 70% to 162 rated miles, and after the install, had 176 rated miles. Am charging up to 90% now to see what that number will be.

I thought that the acceleration was better too (P85). Our roads were damp and I jumped on it and it got a lot more squirrelly than it ever had before. We probably won't have dry roads until monday for me to test it. I am wondering if the acceleration times got better too.

I thought that the acceleration was better too (P85). Our roads were damp and I jumped on it and it got a lot more squirrelly than it ever had before. We probably won't have dry roads until monday for me to test it. I am wondering if the acceleration times got better too.

Thanks for the first confirmation. I'm going to hit my usual acceleration spots tomorrow to check it out. I got really excited about the difference. Hope it wasn't just the wet roads. Anyone else?

UPDATE: My overnight (14 hour) vampire loss was only 1 mile. I wonder if that has been further improved as well.

Last edited: