Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed 5.9 and took a spin. Smart Lowering works as advertised and handling feels much better with the lower center of gravity. My P85 was delivered after high speed lowering was shut off, so I never drove it "lowered" before. The new Nav Favorites were something I expected to be there. They work like they should.

"Hill Assist" sounds nice but I can't find a hill anywhere here in south Florida to try it except highway overpasses and I haven't found one I can stop on. I may have to drive to another state :wink:

Just installed 5.9 and took a spin. Smart Lowering works as advertised and handling feels much better with the lower center of gravity. My P85 was delivered after high speed lowering was shut off, so I never drove it "lowered" before. The new Nav Favorites were something I expected to be there. They work like they should.

"Hill Assist" sounds nice but I can't find a hill anywhere here in south Florida to try it except highway overpasses and I haven't found one I can stop on. I may have to drive to another state :wink:

So, how does lowering work? Can you set a limit where it lowers or is it fixed by TM at 60 mph or another speed?

Was that you I passed on Sat on 595 at Flamingo Rd?

So, how does lowering work? Can you set a limit where it lowers or is it fixed by TM at 60 mph or another speed?

There is a slider that ranges from "always", then increments between 55 mph and 100 mph, then "never". It is the speed at which the suspension will switch between "normal" and "low" automatically. From my (albeit brief) tests, "always" and "never" seem to prefer "low" and "normal" always (i.e., it doesn't "stick" at whatever you've selected manually).

When you set it, it asks you to acknowledge that there is a greater chance of hitting road debris in "low" position.

There is a slider that ranges from "always", then increments between 55 mph and 100 mph, then "never". It is the speed at which the suspension will switch between "normal" and "low" automatically. From my (albeit brief) tests, "always" and "never" seem to prefer "low" and "normal" always (i.e., it doesn't "stick" at whatever you've selected manually).

When you set it, it asks you to acknowledge that there is a greater chance of hitting road debris in "low" position.

I knew that just wanted to confirm that Bill D actually received it :biggrin: Al

I tend to snicker at people who complain about changes in software updates, but I guess I'm in a persnickety mood.

<rant> I'm borderline pissed about the new nav features that aren't available to me as a non-tech owner. Granted, favorites and such would only be marginally useful to me, but it seems silly to tie them to nav, IMO.

Ditto the new default of displaying all charge locations. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Superchargers are going to eventually crowd out any visited non-super charge locations at low zoom levels. At the same time, this is kind of a trivial UI change, I just don't see the logic. Were people not aware it existed? Maybe they just find it easier to turn it on by default than to try to educate owners about the ability to turn it on. </rant> (I do like that I'll be able to delete charge locations, because there are 5 or 6 pins at/around my house, representing several GPS coordinates with some amount of error in them.)

Apologies in advance for the harshness. I guess I get a bit worked up when I fail to understand the reasoning behind a change that I perceive to be negative. I know I'm much more calm/accepting when I can understand and/or relate to the logic.

I'm also slightly annoyed that hill hold is only for ~1 sec. I'd like it to be infinite. I want to sit at a stoplight with my foot hovering over the accelerator regardless of the angle of incline/decline. To me, if you're worried about rolling back while moving your foot from pedal to pedal, you must have pretty slow feet, or get tailgated often. This just seems a rather useless feature to me in this implementation. I could see it being helpful in loading/unloading from a trailer though... Oh well, I'll just keep trying to find the right foot position to accomplish my infinite hold (similar to riding the clutch in a manual), and maybe they'll improve it further in the future.

On the bright side, I'm glad to see auto-lowering return. I thought I remembered hearing that there would be user control over all the thresholds, so I'm a bit sad it didn't pan out that way, but not too worried about it. Probably makes sense to disallow high or very high at highway speeds, and I can't imagine a need for it anyway.

Probably makes sense to disallow high or very high at highway speeds, and I can't imagine a need for it anyway.

download.jpg

I'm also slightly annoyed that hill hold is only for ~1 sec. I'd like it to be infinite. I want to sit at a stoplight with my foot hovering over the accelerator regardless of the angle of incline/decline. To me, if you're worried about rolling back while moving your foot from pedal to pedal, you must have pretty slow feet, or get tailgated often. This just seems a rather useless feature to me in this implementation. I could see it being helpful in loading/unloading from a trailer though... Oh well, I'll just keep trying to find the right foot position to accomplish my infinite hold (similar to riding the clutch in a manual), and maybe they'll improve it further in the future.

Way off topic, I know. Mods, just delete if you don't find amusing… At age 16 in a year I do not want to admit, I learned to drive a stick shift under duress. I was a warehouse worker in a furniture store. The delivery driver was out sick. The assistant delivery driver was on parole and one condition was he could not drive. So, I was nominated to drive this POS truck, loaded with furniture, with syncros out in every gear, with an ex-con next to me who could have driven, but wasn't allowed. Of course, once you got out of the store's driveway, there was a hill with a stop light at the top. Which, of course, turned red as I approached it. The rest you can just imagine. I did manage, after a couple of stalls, a few traffic light cycles, and some choice words from my companion, to make it through, and have been a top notch manual trans guy ever since. What do you think I would have given for even one second of "hill hold"?

I'm also slightly annoyed that hill hold is only for ~1 sec. I'd like it to be infinite. I want to sit at a stoplight with my foot hovering over the accelerator regardless of the angle of incline/decline. To me, if you're worried about rolling back while moving your foot from pedal to pedal, you must have pretty slow feet, or get tailgated often. This just seems a rather useless feature to me in this implementation.
They didn't call it hill hold because that's not what they implemented. If you'd like a hill hold feature in addition to the feature they implemented, maybe they'll consider it. Mail [email protected] to see what they say.

Is there a perceivable difference in this new Hill Hold functionality with and without Creep?

What about hill hold when in reverse? I've parked before in spots facing downhill up against high curbs. I had to be really quick to hit the accelerator (and probably moving back a bit too quickly in the process) to avoid hitting the curb with the nose of the car.

I went through the same steep learning curve while learning to drive a manual as a teenager - albeit without the ex-con in the passenger seat. I will admit to having rolled back into the car behind me at a stop light at the end of an exit ramp somewhere in California (but man, when the light turned green and I 'got it' -I took off like a bat of hell... :tongue:

Now that that I am MUCH older, I admit that I hate the hill hold function and see it as a sign of technology making me lazy (rolling back in my Tesla seemed like the last holdover of driving a manual - ok that and strong regen on deceleration - which I still miss). I was proud of my ability to balance my manual drive car on a hill with the clutch/accelerator.

Believe me, I have already emailed and asked that they make this a configurable option which can be turned on/off much like Creep (which I obviously also don't use).

Is there a perceivable difference in this new Hill Hold functionality with and without Creep?

What about hill hold when in reverse? I've parked before in spots facing downhill up against high curbs. I had to be really quick to hit the accelerator (and probably moving back a bit too quickly in the process) to avoid hitting the curb with the nose of the car.

The release notes talk about its use when facing uphill in drive, or downhill in reverse.