Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um, yes, the sound system in the S, especially our first one, was so terrible that if I were Tesla, I would quietly scramble to improve it without mentioning a thing. .

Either there is something wrong with your car, you're listening to bad sources (like Slacker, TuneIn, or low quality digital), or you want the bass to be the only thing heard. I have a fairly old (now) Studio Sound System, and it's great. Hundreds of people have sat in my car and many have commented on how good the sound system is, including the guy with the Bentley and some sound engineers. Not one person has complained about it. Now I don't doubt that a $5k+ Reus sound system it would sound better, but the premium sound package seems just fine to me.

Yes, I was charging at 80A the other day with my HPWC and it did trip near the end of a charge. This was the first time I've seen this happen. I also just happened to be running VT, and I could see the logged Voltage drop from my houses unloaded norm of ~248V to the low 200s. While none of my wiring was under any additional stress, it looks like the local transformer was.

Good point on problems outside the house. Maybe your neighbor started charging with his HPWC. My HPWC goes from 245V unloaded to 236V at 64A (I'm on an 80A circuit). I've only had one odd experience which was a "charging stopped" message. No voltage dropped and I had to reboot the console to get charging to work. Tesla couldn't find anything wrong and it's never repeated so I chalked it up to "cosmic rays" or some such. Keeping an eye on it though. I've had the car for 7 months now.

I didn't upgrade to 5.8.4 until now since I was traveling.

There are two things I noticed:

1) Slacker no longer plays the "searched" song on a radio station after you come back to your car. It used to always repeat the searched song when you got back to the car after the currently playing track was done.

2) The map finally has traffic that is not 90% obscured by the blue route line.

First time that I've seen the charging rate cut back to 4kW at 22A from the 30A station here at work that usually delivers 6kW. The voltage sag from about 208V to 192-193V has always been there.

asyjamap.jpg

Out of curiousity, has anyone noticed a difference in bass after upgrading to 5.8.4? I've definitely noticed a huge reduction and am working with the Dania Beach SC to isolate. It's almost as if the subwoofer is barely used anymore.

Anyone else notice this?

I had same thing happen. Was charging at 25A by choice. Car sensed a 'fault' and then resumed charging at 30A. Tesla needs to fix this. Not good

Heh, so the warning tripped and then increased your charge current?

Does this mean that if it trips you get reduced to 75% of the max charge rate, regardless of the rate you actually had it set for prior to it tripping?

Tesla must not have have put much thought into this "feature".

1) Slacker no longer plays the "searched" song on a radio station after you come back to your car. It used to always repeat the searched song when you got back to the car after the currently playing track was done.

Mine still does, but I think it depends on the song title. I have always found some "searched" songs will always repeat when you come back to the car or tune to a particular saved station while others will not. I think it's a licensing issue.

Heh, so the warning tripped and then increased your charge current?

Does this mean that if it trips you get reduced to 75% of the max charge rate, regardless of the rate you actually had it set for prior to it tripping?

Tesla must not have have put much thought into this "feature".

Yes, and they know it does this. Confirmed that update will fix it

really seems not thought out very well. this seems almost 'worse' than the intention

Yes, and they know it does this. Confirmed that update will fix it

really seems not thought out very well. this seems almost 'worse' than the intention
Well, good to have confirmation that they'll fix that serious bug.
Did you perchance get any information on whether the update will fix the nasty charging rate reductions on perfectly good Sun Country Highway chargers as well?

Well, good to have confirmation that they'll fix that serious bug.
Did you perchance get any information on whether the update will fix the nasty charging rate reductions on perfectly good Sun Country Highway chargers as well?

Presumably, Tesla will be rolling back this "feature" around the same time as the return air suspension function.

With the new thermal sensors in their wall adapters, such aggressive throttling should no longer be needed.

Well they definitely have been informed of the problem (by me). Would be good if anyone else encountering this problem also report it, as I consider it the biggest flaw they have ever foisted on us in a software update. Way bigger impact that the suspension thing. Adding hours to my charge time on a road trip makes this the anti-supercharger feature!

Well they definitely have been informed of the problem (by me). Would be good if anyone else encountering this problem also report it, as I consider it the biggest flaw they have ever foisted on us in a software update. Way bigger impact that the suspension thing. Adding hours to my charge time on a road trip makes this the anti-supercharger feature!

This is the exact subject of my thread here, which I believe you've commented on. I also consider this to be a bigger flaw than the limited suspension.

Well I hope they come up with a next release soon as I discovered a major issue with the charging infrastructure here in Estonia. The ABB chargers will provide 3x32A on the Type-II connector, but after 5 minutes of usage the charger will check the actual amperage. If the usage is below 16A per phase it will swap over to 3x15A relay however that swap will cause a short loss of power on the feed and the Model S will stop charging with an error message of lost wall power. Now if the Model S were pulling with twin chargers (i.e. 3x26A right now) then this is not an issue as the system sees >16A usage. If the single charger were drawing the full 3x16A as designed it would also not be an issue, but as we're limited to 3x13A the swap occurs and I can charge max 5 minutes, then need to disconnect cable, reconnect and restart charging (also registering a new charge session and hence paying more money). I've notified Tesla about this and they are talking with ABB, but they didn't have the limitation removal FW available or they would have pushed me the new one as an experimental version. So I sure hope they either will communicate at start of charging that they only need 3x13A (in which case the ABB charger immediately gives only 3x15A relay) or they remove the limiter as otherwise for single chargers the ABB charging stations deployed here (and possibly elsewhere) are useless or need a new firmware to avoid this switchover that is needed to dual charge Type-II AC and CHAdeMO DC at the same time to two cars.

Not sure if this has already been posted but last night my car downloaded 5.8.4 automatically without my permission. I have purposely been not updating for about 2 weeks after reading this thread since I am planning a long road trip and don't want the hassle of flaky charging on the trip. I came out to the car this morning and was greeted by a message on the touchscreen explaining the new update and why it's good. I think that's a bit Orwellian (ok that's an overstatement but still...)

Not sure if this has already been posted but last night my car downloaded 5.8.4 automatically without my permission. I have purposely been not updating for about 2 weeks after reading this thread since I am planning a long road trip and don't want the hassle of flaky charging on the trip. I came out to the car this morning and was greeted by a message on the touchscreen explaining the new update and why it's good. I think that's a bit Orwellian (ok that's an overstatement but still...)

I've been delaying updating for about a month now. I'm on 5.6. I will be quite annoyed if Tesla does some kind of override. I will update when the suspension and charging issues are fixed.

Ok three nights in a row it failed to charge! Grrrr

Does it charge from your home outlet if you attempt to do it immediately without scheduling the start? I realize you may be trying to fit into a time-of-use schedule but, just wondering if it's down to your wall power. I'm assuming you've checked the breaker already for that outlet.

Out of curiousity, has anyone noticed a difference in bass after upgrading to 5.8.4? I've definitely noticed a huge reduction and am working with the Dania Beach SC to isolate. It's almost as if the subwoofer is barely used anymore.

Anyone else notice this?

I've actually noticed a significant boost to Bass with 5.8.4. So much so that I will probably back off the old EQ settings I used (from here) to make the system sound reasonable. Lots more bass resonance.

- - - Updated - - -

And FWIW I've had no problems charging with the new FW update. I see 40A at 245V consistently over #6 wire. If I were having these problems I would probably have an electrician inspect my wiring and connections just to be sure nothing is out of spec.