Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To my recollection, 5.6 is the best firmware we've had so far.

Agreed. I'm still on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Car was at service today, and they forced an update. Not sure which one it is because I thought I was up to date. But, if you're in that situation where you don't want to update, might want to tell service not to do it and hopefully they listen!

I've had my car into the SC a couple of times (alignment/tire rotation) and they didn't upgrade it. They kidded me about it, but they didn't do it.

Jerry, my only concern with jumping from 5.6 straight to say, 6.0 would be any instabilities owing to that upgrade path not being tested out thoroughly, if at all. As 5.8 was absorbed by probably 95+% of the cars out there, it's more likely that 5.8 -> 5.8.4 -> 6.0 may be the only stable upgrade path.

It may be that in-car firmware - of which I'm no expert - may simply be a clean flash-and-apply but, you never know.

Jerry, my only concern with jumping from 5.6 straight to say, 6.0 would be any instabilities owing to that upgrade path not being tested out thoroughly, if at all. As 5.8 was absorbed by probably 95+% of the cars out there, it's more likely that 5.8 -> 5.8.4 -> 6.0 may be the only stable upgrade path.

My assumption would be that unless the Service Centre does a direct upgrade, The first upgrade would be to 5.8.x which is already downloaded. So it wouldn't be a three step jump.

Agreed. I'm still on it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had my car into the SC a couple of times (alignment/tire rotation) and they didn't upgrade it. They kidded me about it, but they didn't do it.

Hmmm, you're lucky. I had the TPMS worked on and they told me they HAD to upgrade me or they wouldn't work on the car. I reluctantly agreed, they better bring back the full auto-lowering.

Hmmm, you're lucky. I had the TPMS worked on and they told me they HAD to upgrade me or they wouldn't work on the car. I reluctantly agreed, they better bring back the full auto-lowering.

I did have the regional service manager call me (the person in charge of all the SCs in Texas). We talked for about an hour but the end result was that I didn't upgrade.

Tesla is not very good about sending a consistent message through their employees.

I'm currently on 5.8 (wish I was on 5.6 like jerry33) and I came across a weird bug that may be related to sleep mode. I've been holding off on 5.8.4 after reading its issues in this thread.

I come home with 175 rated miles and think to myself I won't plug in. I get into the house and 30-ish minutes later change my mind and decide to plug the car in. Clicked the UMC unlock button and nothing happens. Car's asleep. I open the door to wake the car up and insert the cable into the car and nothing but a white ring. Cable doesn't get latched onto anymore unless I lock the car and even then it doesn't allow charging to start. I reset screens several times and tried several unlock/lock combinations. I suspect sleep mode is the culprit so I'll let the car re-enter sleep mode, wait for an hour or so, drive around later in the day, then see if i can plug in like normal when I get back.

Edit:
I got back home from doing errands and sure enough my car was able to charge again from the UMC. Took a minute or so for the cable to latch but it's working like expected. Also went up the street to a J1772 plug and the car latched onto the adapter immediately.

There's definitely some quirks that need to be ironed out in the software.

Last edited:
Had some oddball touchscreen glitches today.

My wipers were in "service mode" overnight so they could properly thaw out in my garage. Get in the car in the morning, press the pedal and put it into Reverse, and they're still sitting there. So I flip the wiper stalk. They wipe up, and down again. Just when I think I can drive off, they pop back into the service position again. WTF?

So I bring up the touch screen, hit Controls, then Settings, then Service Mode Off. The button doesn't move. Huh? Tap a few more times, try tapping other buttons... that's when I realize that the screen has frozen - that's a first! I've had it crash and reboot before, but not once did it ever simply freeze! Reboot fixed that.

Some hours later I get into the car to run an errand. I felt a rush of cold air. Huh? I left the system on a custom setting but with HEAT not A/C! The temperature dials are now on LOW. Definitely wasn't like that when I parked! Dialed it up to a normal temperature and all is back to normal.

Weirdness... haven't had a glitch in ages, but two in one day!