Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um....who cares if you recharge everynight. Just plug it in and your done. And btw the energy
costs are far below that of buying gas. Its about 1-2cents per miles especially low if you do it at
night time or low use times.

Last Dec. when I got my S, it wasn't competing with so many other cars so it would get updates in a few days. Now with so many cars out there it takes a long time. Hopefully Tesla engr. figures out how to parallelize the rollout process soon! If not, it may take months to get a firmware update...

Has anyone gotten this update OTA?

It appears they have and that TM is rolling it out rather quickly now. Hope you see you update notice soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Last Dec. when I got my S, it wasn't competing with so many other cars so it would get updates in a few days. Now with so many cars out there it takes a long time. Hopefully Tesla engr. figures out how to parallelize the rollout process soon! If not, it may take months to get a firmware update...

Looks like TM plans to do future updates via WiFi whenever possible in the future. That will lead to quicker rollout and less cost to TM.

I talked with the folks at Tesla the other day and I've been told that the rollout is automated and should be completed in the next week or so via OTA.

Take this with a grain of salt; we've been told things by folks at Tesla before.

I talked with the folks at Tesla the other day and I've been told that the rollout is automated and should be completed in the next week or so via OTA.

Take this with a grain of salt; we've been told things by folks at Tesla before.

Tho there were early 5.6 users/testers, the full scale OTA rollout started nov 1. It's now the 7th. IMHO, nobody should feel forlorn until thanksgiving.

Installed 5.6 OTA last night (Nov 6). Left the car at 5:30pm 128 miles. Came to the car this morning at 6:45am and it was down to 123:
a) It wasn't plugged in,
b) the center screen was already on,
c) I made sure the power save setting was on,
d) key fob was away from the car, no where near it.

I never realized tracked my vampire loss until today.

Agree key fob first check… Also, I suspect if someone is monitoring using REST API, it would disturb sleep.Here's another hypothesis to explain wide variation of perceived overnight loss: we know that part of 5.6 is a refined projected range calculation. let's assume that this now factors in temperature. So, all things being equal, someone who puts to sleep and wakes up in similar environment will see almost no loss in rated range - but someone who puts to sleep in early evening warmth, and wakes up in early morning cold will see lower rated range. I have not checked addresses of all of the posters on this topic to see if the data points match climate, and I have no idea if temperature (either via thermometer or GPS location) is factored into range calc. But this could explain lower AM projected range even if battery is untaxed all night...PS: I got 5.6 yesterday and will not be a data point because I have sleep mode off and will only turn it on if/when I need it for extra range. For me, <40 cents per day is well spent having car immediately responsive.

Ok I moved the key fobs to the other end of the house ~50 feet. Last night I only lost 4 miles which is much better than previous nights. But it was also ~20-25 degrees warmer last night (mid 50’s). So the temperature theory is looking like a possible explanation. I’ll continue to take measurements over the next few nights so see if there is a pattern based on temperature.

Is it possible that newer cars are sleeping better (I.e. losing fewer miles over the same period) than older models? I haven't thoroughly reviewed all the random data points we have here, but I do seem to see a trend in that those reporting > 2-3 miles lost in 24 hours have older cars with lower VINs.

I'm just throwing this out there as a wild guess so please refute my claims if incorrect.

VIN 246 lost 1 mile overnight last night, so I'd say no :)

Got it last night. Kinda bummed the wifi isn't sensitive enough in the car to reach my AP in my house (detached). My phone can pick it up though.

Interestingly, after upgrading I linked to my home WiFi network, but only with one bar or so. Over night after charging and assmuedly hibernating, when I got in to the car this morning, it showed a 3G connection instead...

A very good source at Tesla indicated that there is no active battery heating while parked unless it's REALLY cold. Those looking at the power saving mode in 5.6 and concerned about whether a 20 degree difference from yesterday to today is affecting your real range should have no fear. It might affect the indicated range assuming Tesla's algorithm takes that into account--but it won't result in losing actual range.

I received 5.6 yesterday. Two observations so far:

- Nav routing now seems to take traffic into account. When I pick up my daughter from school, I have a choice of 2 routes, one of which is marginally shorter but has a lot more traffic. On 4.5, the Nav always routed that way. 5.6 routed the other way today...
- it looks like my car did not sleep while at work today... Still lost 3miles of range (similar to 4.5). Will watch this over the next few days..

- Nav routing now seems to take traffic into account. When I pick up my daughter from school, I have a choice of 2 routes, one of which is marginally shorter but has a lot more traffic. On 4.5, the Nav always routed that way. 5.6 routed the other way today...
- it looks like my car did not sleep while at work today... Still lost 3miles of range (similar to 4.5). Will watch this over the next few days..
I have to admit that I find it very annoying that the methodologies used in the navigation program are so hidden. Would seem that a paragraph or two stating how the navigation system works and on what basis it computes the route would be elementary. We are left to speculate. And this applies to most of the MS systems.

That's surprising; seems like something they would probably list in the release notes (general consensus up to now was all Model S firmware releases did not auto-route around or account for traffic)
The turn-by-turn navigation is Navigon software based, whereas the Google maps / Google traffic data is a separate entity. Navigon already has a traffic database feature that can route you around traffic... not sure if they activated that feature or did something else proprietary.