Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you delete the wifi network and re-join it, the annoying daily pop up should go away. At least it did for me.

If there is another weak and/or intermittent wifi visible to the car, it could be prompting for that. I had that happen with my neighbors open wifi. It was pretty weak but slightly stronger than mine in the garage. I joined to theirs and the message went away. (and, yes, I have told them about their wifi but they don't seem to care. also, it never actually connects to their wifi.)

I can't believe people actually demanded pictures as if this is so far-fetched. He even said it has the same release notes. It's not like he claimed to have 7.0 alpha and that his car now drives itself.

People are VERY sensitive to version updates... I haven't seen anything else be treated so passionately on these forums... Which is saying a LOT because we are all pretty passionate here on TMC. Not excusing some of the hostilities just explaining why it always seems to happen when it deals with software updates.

It is also very unusual that only a single person reports a new version and no one else gets it and a service center checks with engineering and is told there is no such version.
And frankly, if you go back through the forum you'll see that for pretty much every new version people either post pictures right away or are asked to post them...

It is also very unusual that only a single person reports a new version and no one else gets it and a service center checks with engineering and is told there is no such version.
And frankly, if you go back through the forum you'll see that for pretty much every new version people either post pictures right away or are asked to post them...
Yes, but this is Cattledog, a speaker at the recent TMC conference. Not a new forum member with one post talking about something someone told him.

I think we've had enough off topic. Cattledog posted his note, I took his word for it and started this thread, making it sticky in the process....End of story.

Kind of curious that no-one else has v5.14 but there are ~50,000 Model S out there and not everyone is on TMC. :eek:

Indeed. And it's particularly curious given that a fair number of us are on buggy 5.12 firmware. One would think Tesla would prioritize the firmware updates for those on unstable versions.

I am picking up my car from the Palo Alto service center today. It went in with 5.9 firmware so we will see what version they loaded.

---update---

I got 5.12 (1.64.38). Service advisor said it was the latest. I made mention of "rumors of a 5.14" but he only said that "some people are testing 6.0".

Last edited:
Not really sure what to say, maybe they sent me a buggy update to 5.12 that had a typo of 5.14 and 1.66.20 (some 5.12 updates seem to be up 1.64.38). I didn't post any photos right away because I said in my original post that I didn't see anything different from when I had received the 5.12 update, so I assumed all it did was fix some bugs. I posted a photo after it seemed people didn't believe that I'd received it. So did I get a 5.12 with the wrong name or 5.14 with the wrong content? Or is Tesla sending things out just to head fake all of us? I don't know.

Well, we heard of 6.0 going into a car at a service center a few weeks back and then they pulled it. They are very quirky with this whole update thing. I assume I wasn't supposed to get it, but I got it. If there's any takeaway, it's that anything that's 5.XX seems to be rather inconsequential compared to what we anticipate is in 6.0.

Not really sure what to say, maybe they sent me a buggy update to 5.12 that had a typo of 5.14 and 1.66.20 (some 5.12 updates seem to be up 1.64.38). I didn't post any photos right away because I said in my original post that I didn't see anything different from when I had received the 5.12 update, so I assumed all it did was fix some bugs. I posted a photo after it seemed people didn't believe that I'd received it. So did I get a 5.12 with the wrong name or 5.14 with the wrong content? Or is Tesla sending things out just to head fake all of us? I don't know.

I don't think it's a typo as that would have required them to mess up both the 14 and the 66. Could be the release got pulled because of some issue they found in it at the last minute or maybe they gave it to you to fix an particular issue you reported to them? It's definitely unusual as I've never seen a release show up without becoming the release everyone else starts getting at the SC (with the exception of when 5.0 came out and it was not being installed on cars in for service, but that was a new major release). At this point we may never know. Maybe 5.14 will become known as the Cattledog release. :)

Or you're just reading way too much into this and it's not really a big deal either way.

Actually, I think it is a big deal. There are a number of possible interpretations, none good:
  • It was a "random" occurrence. This is actually a screaming red flag. Are their release processes and controls so loose that a one time thing like this happens??
  • It was an employee prank. Those wild and crazy firmware engineers... I doubt this was the case, though.
  • They released it and then changed their minds. That says there is chaos in their release management.
  • It was an intended release due to 6.0 not being solid yet. Uh, not good at all as other have expressed. But kind of unlikely given no one else has seen the release and the service center folks claim no knowledge of it.
  • It's a fake. I think this has been fully debunked. Added here only for completeness.
Maybe there are other possible explanations (black helicopters?) but doubt they will be comforting.

My guess is that most of the FW team is focused on the Model X and they are giving the Model S 6.0 short shrift. I hope they have separate development and sustaining teams plus a world class test/release team but maybe we are seeing symptoms of just a single team trying to serve multiple masters.