Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like a few other posters in the thread, I've had significant Bluetooth issues, a lagging display, and reboot problems since the 5.9 update. I had *never* (in 7+ months of ownership) had to reboot the screens before 5.9, and now I've done it three times. Attempting to pair my phone now is an exercise in frustration and, on the chance that I get it to work, my Bluetooth connection will randomly drop - even in the middle of calls. I haven't received 5.11 yet, but I am *really* hoping it helps.

Interesting happenings tonight. I had been navigating and using everything just fine. Then, I dropped someone off at a hotel, and when I went to navigate home, it said "navigator is initializing" and my blinker on the dash stopped flashing (i was waiting to turn out of the parking lot) and just had the green background shape with no arrow.

Cancelled the navigator, and it said initializing again the second time, but it eventually went and my blinker didn't act funny

It's always possible 5.11 has some new features that haven't been "enabled" yet. I haven't seen Tesla so this, but it's not uncommon to push out client code before a new service release, wait for distribution, and then flip a bit to enable all the clients at the same time.

The comments about console reboots are interesting. I've had the .94 flavor 5.9 for several months (as have most I suspect), and haven't had any real issues.

In the least couple of weeks I've had to reboot the console 3-4 times for either the navigation portions of the center console not working, or Slacker not responding...

Only issues I've had so far at all with regard to the consoles (5.9, may or may not be 5.9-only issues):

• Every now and then while slacker is playing, it will start playing a song and then do the whole "broken record" stutter thing (technically where the sound hardware keeps repeating the last few KB of sound). Within 5 seconds or so it stops and resets, and restarts the same song (just Slacker, not the whole console). So, it's not a huge issue. (Only happened about 4 times total)
  • When parked in my dark garage, sometimes when I pull out during the day the consoles do not auto brighten. I have to reboot the center screen to make it happen. Same happens sometimes at night after parking in a well lit area and heading to the street, screens don't darken without a reboot. (Only has happened ~3 times total)
  • Center console was completely unresponsive one morning after sitting overnight (not plugged in). After hopping in and driving off, nothing from the center console after 5+ minutes (black). Reboot solved. (Happened once.)

This is over the course of ~3 months and ~8,000 miles. I consider all of it extremely minor, but figured I'd note here.

One thing to remember is that our cars are NOT identical. There are different hardware versions as Tesla has made many changes over time. They have to send different cars different firmware configurations.

The Signature cars in particular often have a mix of different generation hardware as changes were made more rapidly in the early days, and if service was performed they would get newer components. My car had its touchscreen replaced with a newer version, and it had its door handles replaced with the newer ones that extend 90%. So my car is probably unique in the fleet, as no doubt are many others.

One thing to remember is that our cars are NOT identical. There are different hardware versions as Tesla has made many changes over time. They have to send different cars different firmware configurations.

The Signature cars in particular often have a mix of different generation hardware as changes were made more rapidly in the early days, and if service was performed they would get newer components. My car had its touchscreen replaced with a newer version, and it had its door handles replaced with the newer ones that extend 90%. So my car is probably unique in the fleet, as no doubt are many others.
FYI a service manager told me the car downloads every iteration and then automatically knows which one to apply for it's specific configuration.

FYI a service manager told me the car downloads every iteration and then automatically knows which one to apply for it's specific configuration.

This makes more sense. Think of an OS. They run on a multitude of configurations. The drivers are the only aspect that require reprogramming to get the setup to run on different boxes. Thus, I suspect that Tesla has different software drivers for A/B/C/D packs, revision 2 door handles, etc. It would make little sense for them to handcraft each firmware revision on an individual car by car basis.

Perhaps they've changed things. I was originally told that they had to generate a build for each unique configuration. Now maybe that was just in early days... it certainly sounds like a tedious way to do things.

Nevertheless, it's possible that there's a combination of hardware out there - various revisions of various modules - that has a problem they haven't figured out yet.

Not sure if this will help, but what do the people having Bluetooth, Navigation, and/or Slacker trouble have set for their browser homepage?

A Tesla Ranger, who was out a couple days ago assessing my car's damage (sad topic for another day), advised me to leave the browser homepage set to "Google", "Tesla Motors" or other websites that do not constantly update/refresh. The example the Ranger gave as a site to avoid was a anything containing a Stock Ticker.

Apparently, a slow/unstable BT connection has been linked to overworking the car's cellular modem. It seems the car will refresh these pages even while powered off, and result in connection problems after a while.

Having never using the browser to any extent myself, I cannot comment on whether there is any truth to these claims. However, I do know that I have not experienced any issues with BT or phone connections, despite running FW5.9 from day-one.

Like a few other posters in the thread, I've had significant Bluetooth issues, a lagging display, and reboot problems since the 5.9 update. I had *never* (in 7+ months of ownership) had to reboot the screens before 5.9, and now I've done it three times. Attempting to pair my phone now is an exercise in frustration and, on the chance that I get it to work, my Bluetooth connection will randomly drop - even in the middle of calls. I haven't received 5.11 yet, but I am *really* hoping it helps.

Interesting happenings tonight. I had been navigating and using everything just fine. Then, I dropped someone off at a hotel, and when I went to navigate home, it said "navigator is initializing" and my blinker on the dash stopped flashing (i was waiting to turn out of the parking lot) and just had the green background shape with no arrow.

Cancelled the navigator, and it said initializing again the second time, but it eventually went and my blinker didn't act funny

Odd how others, like myself, have had no issues with the any version of OS since 5.x... using Bluetooth, wifi, driving 60+ miles a day, etc. etc.

Makes me wonder if there are different components on one motherboard to the next.

The comments about console reboots are interesting. I've had the .94 flavor 5.9 for several months (as have most I suspect), and haven't had any real issues.

In the least couple of weeks I've had to reboot the console 3-4 times for either the navigation portions of the center console not working, or Slacker not responding...

Perhaps they've changed things. I was originally told that they had to generate a build for each unique configuration. Now maybe that was just in early days... it certainly sounds like a tedious way to do things.

Nevertheless, it's possible that there's a combination of hardware out there - various revisions of various modules - that has a problem they haven't figured out yet.

A Tesla Ranger, who was out a couple days ago assessing my car's damage (sad topic for another day), advised me to leave the browser homepage set to "Google", "Tesla Motors" or other websites that do not constantly update/refresh. The example the Ranger gave as a site to avoid was a anything containing a Stock Ticker.

That's actually correct. The browser in the Tesla apparently stays live whether or not the browser is being displayed. A static page doesn't continually make connections.

Interesting... I typically simply leave the browser on whatever page I was on last. Admittedly one of these is a weather forecast page that does indeed dynamically update.

I'll pay attention to that and see if I can correlate results...

Thanks Mayhemm...

Set the S browser to Google home page when I left home today. Drove for about an hour and a half with nav and slacker working correctly. Parked while I was at a baseball game.

Couldn't connect to car via mobile app after game, although when I got in the car it had good reported 3G connectivity. Slacker wouldn't play. Nav and browser did work correctly.

So in this case, despite a static web page loaded on the browser, it appears that something still covered a couple the apps that rely on connectivity...