Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing miscalculation- any accountants out there?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm taking delivery of my car in about 8 hours and I got the Retail Installment Contract about several hours ago to review. No matter how hard I try, I can't figure out how to reconcile my expected loan payment (based on several methods of calculation) with the one in the contract (Wells Fargo).

Here are the numbers I'm working with:

Amount financed: $84,825.00
Interest rate: 0.99%

Wells Fargo calculates my monthly payment at $1214.45 with the total finance charge over the life of the loan at $2615.40.

When I calculate using the loan template in Excel or multiple other online calculators, I get a monthly payment of $1213.95 with total finance charge over the life of the loan of $2579.22

The difference in the calculations is: $0.50 per month.

$0.50 per month is not a major issue in the grand scheme of things but to satisfy my own curiosity I do wonder how they came up with that number and what that $6/year is going towards.

I'm sure some of you here have some financial background. Anyone with more sleep and more brains want to try to get this through my thick head?

Could be a measure of how interest is compounded by one algorithm vs another :) rounding up or down tenths of a cent would do that over long periods of time.

$6...lol. Maybe cut out one Starbucks grande latte and your golden :)

Congrats on your purchase!

Could be a measure of how interest is compounded by one algorithm vs another :) rounding up or down tenths of a cent would do that over long periods of time.

$6...lol. Maybe cut out one Starbucks grande latte and your golden :)

Congrats on your purchase!

:) No need to cut out Starbucks- I feel like I'd be tempting fate with white seats :D

But, to clarify, I'm not trying to raise a stink about paying $0.50 more per month. I was just curious as to why the discrepancy was there but for curiosity only.

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingRockies