Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fastest that I can charge at work ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear All

In anticipation of delivery of Model 3 Performance, I am looking into chargers at work. We have a beefy 3 phase supply, and I can get the charger connected to this . I am being offered a 22kw charger by a few companies, but I understand that the model 3 can only charge at 11kw on AC ? Is this correct ?

R

Mehul

Home Charging Installation

1618727525710.png

Last edited:
already answered at 11kwh which will be more than enough. Agree - either suggest a 22kwh to max it out in case someone else (or you) has a faster car later, or preferably 3x7kwh if its likely others may benefit from it. if you’re parked up for 8 hours that’ll pretty much fill a LR/P (and more than fill a SR+) so arguably no need for a faster charger unless you find yourself on long trips to work, needing a short topup and heading out again to a client/customer etc.

There exist 22kW (and similar) DC chargers - I'd really like to see more of these being used in public locations rather than 7kW (which is no real use for a short stop). I don't think they are particularly expensive (considering the other installation costs for a commercial site).

However, when I was charging at work, I found 11kW was a good improvement over 7kW (meaning 3 or 4 people can charge over the course of the day compared with just 2, depending on how keen they are to move, and commute distance). I found that if I got in at 8, I could be charged and moved before the car park was full at 10.

An interesting observation:
The only time I’ve used a 3 phase 22kW charger my SR+ reported a solid 12kW throughout the charging period. I believe that though the onboard charger is nominally 11kW it will nudge up beyond that if the local voltage is higher than nominal. As many people will know it is quite common in the uk for mains voltage to be higher than the 230v spec due to legacy infrastructure that still runs in the 240/250v range.

If like many installations they are supply limited, slower charger points would allow multiple vehicles to be charged at same time achieve the same without having to monitor charge progress.

If you could get 32A per phase, ie a 22kW (3 * 32A) capable 3 phase installation, you would instead get 3 cars simultaneously charging at 7kW, even omitting that a Tesla is unlikely to benefit from the whole 22kW (and a Model 3 only benefiting from 11kW)

Taking that a step further, you would get 6 cars simultaneously charging at 3-4kW, the latter adding 14kWh per 4 hour period, enough for 40 miles (80 at 32A) every 4 hours on charge for most vehicles all years round miles, more in summer.

Or around 10 cars simultaneously charging at 10A/2.3kW - using a dedicated Type 2 charge point rather than 13A socket and a mobile connector such as UMC- leaving them plugged in all working day, 8 hours charging would yield over 18kWh for each vehicle, over 50 miles added for a typical EV. All for the similar power requirements as a single 22kW charge point.

A host of load balanced charge points allowing adaptive albeit inconsistent charge rates would also be a good flexible option.

imho, more lower powered charge points is probably more useful than one or two high powered charge points. Load balancing offers even more flexibility.

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl
I also thought about having a fast/rapid charging setup some time ago and all the above posts and comments are very informative and things to think about. The fastest way to charge is generally DC charging and was tempting, but not cost effective to have for me and possibility many private or small businesses, unless you could somehow recuperate the costs.

One factor with DC charging at public/work locations is the mix of CCS and Chademo vehicles out there - the charger would need to be multi standard. Not an issue with an untethered Type 2 A/C outlet where driver would supply their own relevant cable.

I also thought about having a fast/rapid charging setup some time ago and all the above posts and comments are very informative and things to think about. The fastest way to charge is generally DC charging and was tempting, but not cost effective to have for me and possibility many private or small businesses, unless you could somehow recuperate the costs.

Yes, looks very expensive for DC charging unless special circumstances dictate that speed. Good for a taxi company or delivery service perhaps?

@Mr H your avatar pic shows a white Model 3 with fog lights ... yet you have an SR+ that doesn't come with fog lights as standard ... is this a different car or did you fit fog lights or did you get a surprise freebie by mistake?
Tesla did fit fog lights to SR+ cars for a very short while, but the avatar pic looks like a LHD to me or else it was taken when abroad.