Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Farewell Model X and Hello Lincoln Navigator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To go from a Model X to a Lincoln Navigator is just something I can't wrap my head around...??? Climate change is real and while a single SUV isn't going to move the needle, it's this kind of thinking that does... I sincerely hope each an every person who makes this ridiculously foolish and short sighted decision be faced with $10+ per gallon gas. Make it hurt...

Here are some reasons, not OPs probably
- Lincon is cheaper
- No Tesla service in the area

This is what frustrates me at times with this place... The OP posts something that's begging to get negative comments and yet TMC choses to ignore the provocation and focus on the response?

To go from a Model X to a Lincoln Navigator is just something I can't wrap my head around...??? Climate change is real and while a single SUV isn't going to move the needle, it's this kind of thinking that does... I sincerely hope each an every person who makes this ridiculously foolish and short sighted decision be faced with $10+ per gallon gas. Make it hurt...

I have my issues with Tesla but I couldn't imagine driving an ICE again much less owning one... Between the electric drive train and AP, I just don't get it...

I didn't see the OP as trying to provoke anything. I think she was giving an honest assessment of why the Model X doesn't work for her. Feedback like that is useful to hear. What's not acceptable here is attacking other members, and some of the posts here (not yours) were right on the borderline of that IMHO.

I don't want to get into a debate about why OP should be driving an EV vs. an ICE, but it's a fact that people have certain requirements (like "doesn't make my kids sick" or needing to meet a certain pricepoint, or having a certain range) for a car. And if a car (whether it's a Model X, a Navigator, or whatever) can't meet those requirements, it doesn't matter how green it is, it's unsat. Perhaps if there were more EV SUVs than just the Model X, OP might have tried one of those instead, who knows.

Bruce.

I didn't see the OP as trying to provoke anything. I think she was giving an honest assessment of why the Model X doesn't work for her. Feedback like that is useful to hear. What's not acceptable here is attacking other members, and some of the posts here (not yours) were right on the borderline of that IMHO.

I don't want to get into a debate about why OP should be driving an EV vs. an ICE, but it's a fact that people have certain requirements (like "doesn't make my kids sick" or needing to meet a certain pricepoint, or having a certain range) for a car. And if a car (whether it's a Model X, a Navigator, or whatever) can't meet those requirements, it doesn't matter how green it is, it's unsat. Perhaps if there were more EV SUVs than just the Model X, OP might have tried one of those instead, who knows.

Bruce.

Agree Bruce completely the shaming and fanboy crap needs to stop.

Sending my farewell to my Tesla family. It’s been a great 2 years and 3 months, but it just wasn’t working for us. The harsh cold here in Chicago killed my battery. I was always anxious about traveling far. My family is far and my daughter does travel soccer. The interior was getting tight for my growing 3 girls. Kids we’re getting car sick in the car all the time. In all honesty, it just wasn’t the fun family car we used to have. My husband has a Tesla Model S and that was another reason. Having two electric cars wasn’t working for us either. We needed the convenience of a gas car. Anyway, I’m happy to buy another American car. I’m loving the Lincoln Navigator.

Congrats! If you're looking for a large 3 row SUV, the navigator (or Ford Expedition XL/Max equivelant) is definitely the way to go! Prior to getting the X, I almost went with one myself. At the time they didn't have the ecoboost though, so 16mpg was a little difficult to swallow for me at the time. The new one gets 22mpg I think, which is tremendously better; and if they put the diesel in...I'd have a difficult decision to make on whether to stay electric myself.

For those who are not aware, the Ford is one of the few that actually uses independent on all 4 corners, which allows normal sized human beings to sit comfortably in the 3rd row. We can fit them in the X sure..but it's not exactly a preferred seat. Heck even in the 2nd row it isn't exactly a preferred seat in comparison. While many do a great job in the middle row, the Lincoln/Ford is the only one I've seen that can haul a family of 8, 2-3 large dogs, luggage for the weekend, and still tow a boat and do it all in comfort.

Wish you the best, and hopefully Tesla creates something that's competitive to that in the future!! (I consider the X a competitor to the Ford Explorer/Lincoln MKT, not the Expedition/Navigator)

Reactions: MXWing and Dalia
De

Depends on age of kids. With a baby, nursing and blowouts happens. My kids don’t watch tv so we don’t get 2 hrs after the first stop, which is much longer than 15 min.

Yes that's a good point. We are just past nursing with the youngest one. When she was still nursing, the 1 stop was 40 minutes. We've made the same trip with the same stop many times by now, so we are pretty proficient. Would be different I'm sure if we were in an unfamiliar place.

I was wondering this as well. I always reverse in as well so that my trunk can open all the way and load it easily with all of the kid stuff. I didn't measure 100% so I'm not totally positive the FWDs will clear, but once I get the car I'll measure to verify for certain.

The ONLY concern is if I geotag the doors at home to open all the way and someone that isn't me drives the car, they're probably going to scratch up the doors.

It's the same concern with the trunk. I could override the height and geotag that when I reverse in, but it won't be able to tell the difference if the car is parked in reverse or not, so again another recipe for disaster. Things to worry about for sure.
I haven't needed to geotag the doors. I guess when backing in, I'm far enough away that they open fine without being told to always open full height. I put a strip of painters tape on the ground behind my car to mark how far I need to back in to clear the garage door.

• Informative
Reactions: Corsair
Sending my farewell to my Tesla family. It’s been a great 2 years and 3 months, but it just wasn’t working for us. The harsh cold here in Chicago killed my battery. I was always anxious about traveling far. My family is far and my daughter does travel soccer. The interior was getting tight for my growing 3 girls. Kids we’re getting car sick in the car all the time. In all honesty, it just wasn’t the fun family car we used to have. My husband has a Tesla Model S and that was another reason. Having two electric cars wasn’t working for us either. We needed the convenience of a gas car. Anyway, I’m happy to buy another American car. I’m loving the Lincoln Navigator.

The 2018 Navigator L is almost 2' longer than the X, so it should have more space. However, can you explain what you mean by "harsh cold here in Chicago killed my battery"? I am in a similar situation and drive to Chicago often. I drove through the -10 degree weather in Chicago/MN and road trips just fine.

Also, Autopilot is a huge advantage on a long road trips. The 2018 Navigator does not have a steering assist function.

And maybe stopping to charge while you eat lunch with no kids or older kids is refreshing, but with 3 under 6, none of our meals are refreshing - they are battles to be won.

How do you avoid eating meals on road trips in an ICE car? I don't get how an ICE car solves the stopping for meals/bathrooms/changing issue.

Navigator? I guess you didn't care that much about the environment after all...

Surveys in the past (on this forum, as I recall) indicate that environmental benefits are not the foremost reason that people buy a Tesla.

Aside from that, i don't think you should bash this person -- They made the purchase of both an S and an X, and find they need something else. They came here to tell us their reason. I suggest being nice to people, even if they make a different choice. The OP did not complain or knock the car, just stated her reasons for choosing another.

Surveys in the past (on this forum, as I recall) indicate that environmental benefits are not the foremost reason that people buy a Tesla.

Aside from that, i don't think you should bash this person -- They made the purchase of both an S and an X, and find they need something else. They came here to tell us their reason. I suggest being nice to people, even if they make a different choice. The OP did not complain or knock the car, just stated her reasons for choosing another.
i'd be killed if i said that i've recently driven the Camaro ZL1 10 speed & the much more exciting Camaro ZL1-1LE and have seriously been considering dumping my X for that beast. :p:D;)

if something doesn't change soon with tesla i will be forced to move on as i'm getting kinda bored of the 6-year-old Model S which is largely unchanged from it's first iteration (same basic size and look, not talking about little trim changes) and IMHO the X is too small for a 7 passenger SUV...these cars need to be made bigger and the 400+ mile range that elon musk mentioned can't come soon enough.

Um... You do realize you are on a enthusiasts forum??? Furthermore the use of the word "fanboy" is derogatory and unnecessary. Perhaps you're in the wrong place?

Jeff

Jeff,

You are barking up the wrong tree. Wow, I didn't realize I was on a Tesla forum. Fanboy is a word used earlier in the thread that I was highlighting and it's hardly derogatory. Perhaps you should try a little harder to find something wrong. Lastly, so because this is an enthusiasts site it gives free reign for you and your cronies to be rude to someone? I think your "enthusiasm" is misplaced and unwelcome. I will continue to support Dalia's decision as well as the people who support that. Enjoy the evening :)

Jeff,

You are barking up the wrong tree. Wow, I didn't realize I was on a Tesla forum. Fanboy is a word used earlier in the thread that I was highlighting and it's hardly derogatory. Perhaps you should try a little harder to find something wrong. Lastly, so because this is an enthusiasts site it gives free reign for you and your cronies to be rude to someone? I think your "enthusiasm" is misplaced and unwelcome. I will continue to support Dalia's decision as well as the people who support that. Enjoy the evening :)

When you're going to make ridiculous comments you should expect someone to chirp back. Again, this isn't an anti-Tesla site (although sometimes you wouldn't know it which is another issue in and of itself), this is supposed to be a pro-Tesla site. As far as enthusiast sites go, TMC does a better than average job of hearing dissent and responding to it. That being said, threads like this are so completely unnecessary and serve only one real purpose "look at me"...

The term "fanboy" is not now, nor has it ever been, a positive word to describe people who are passionate about something. You can think my enthusiasm is misplaced and unwelcome all you want, it's not going to change my approach to things one bit. I'll continue to criticize Tesla when it's appropriate and I'll continue to enthusiastically support them otherwise. If you have a problem with that, then that's on you and there are remedies available to you should you need them such as putting me on ignore or simply not reading my posts. What you do is entirely up to you and what I do is entirely up to me and it's going to stay that way...

Jeff

• Disagree
Reactions: Gpa9504
. Again, this isn't an anti-Tesla site (although sometimes you wouldn't know it which is another issue in and of itself), this is supposed to be a pro-Tesla site.
Jeff

though i am new, IMO this is neither a PRO nor ANTI tesla site, i feel this is a tesla discussion site. like 'hey how are you i have a tesla too, these things are awesome, these things are not so good, what do you think they can improve on, let's meet up' kinda thing. i personally have used it to gain a wealth of information, and i like this site, but i am not an enthusiast. lots of them here though, and lots of people with beefs about tesla here too looking for info just like everyone else.

it's the ones who say 'WTFOMG you are an idiot how could you drive an ICE and destroy the environment' or 'HAHAHAHA another autopilot crash tesla stock went down bankruptcy is imminent!' that add no value and serve little purpose to this site other than clogging up the threads and wasting everyone's time.

maybe someday when tesla releases a better looking EV SUV with an actual luxury interior, with doors that work, actually seats 7 comfortably, has real 1000mi range that charges up in 10 minutes, is not affected by the cold, costs $35,000, AND elon can release it on time, then we can bag on someone buying a navigator.

until then, you know what if someone feels a navigator is better than a model X for them, and wants to rationally explain why on this site, it should be met with understanding and debate, but not criticism.

When you're going to make ridiculous comments you should expect someone to chirp back. Again, this isn't an anti-Tesla site (although sometimes you wouldn't know it which is another issue in and of itself), this is supposed to be a pro-Tesla site. As far as enthusiast sites go, TMC does a better than average job of hearing dissent and responding to it. That being said, threads like this are so completely unnecessary and serve only one real purpose "look at me"...

The term "fanboy" is not now, nor has it ever been, a positive word to describe people who are passionate about something. You can think my enthusiasm is misplaced and unwelcome all you want, it's not going to change my approach to things one bit. I'll continue to criticize Tesla when it's appropriate and I'll continue to enthusiastically support them otherwise. If you have a problem with that, then that's on you and there are remedies available to you should you need them such as putting me on ignore or simply not reading my posts. What you do is entirely up to you and what I do is entirely up to me and it's going to stay that way...

Jeff

Let's break this down.

Red: I don't think anyone would say my comment was ridiculous. It clashes with whatever you believe therefore is "ridiculous" to you.

Orange: Your Opinion

Green: Your Opinion

Blue: Your Opinion

You jumped right on OP for sharing her experience, and a well thought out paragraph on how they planned to continue on while still owning a Tesla mind you. Jeff you seem very high strung and quick to jump on people who don't fall into your line of thinking. That isn't a huge deal but, if someone has moved on from your obsession and explains why, don't call them a planet murderer and start picking fights. It's a bad look. I hope you enjoy the night. Hope to talk with you again.

• Funny
Reactions: Gpa9504 and XHokie
The 2018 Navigator L is almost 2' longer than the X, so it should have more space. However, can you explain what you mean by "harsh cold here in Chicago killed my battery"? I am in a similar situation and drive to Chicago often. I drove through the -10 degree weather in Chicago/MN and road trips just fine.

Also, Autopilot is a huge advantage on a long road trips. The 2018 Navigator does not have a steering assist function.

How do you avoid eating meals on road trips in an ICE car? I don't get how an ICE car solves the stopping for meals/bathrooms/changing issue.

Just FYI, the navigator does have a steering assist function. In my opinion it doesn't work well, but it is technically there.

An ICE cooler ironically - what a horrible pun :) . We eat while we drive. We aren't the kind of people that like to lounge around on road trips that aren't scenic/historic. We would rather just get where we're going. I don't think many people would argue that the superchargers in the rural midwest are surrounded by areas of scenic and/or historic interest. And yes, we don't want to wait 30 extra minutes to charge. And the snow/cold etc do have a significant negative impact on the battery. Myself, wife and 3 kids only need 1 stop in the middle of the particular 5 hour drive that we do several times per year.

Also, I appreciate the OP sharing their experience. It's helpful to all of us in similar situations making similar decisions.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
To be fair, and it was mentioned above, some of us don't buy a tesla because it's green. I care but that's not why I'm buying a tesla. I'm buying one because it's a high performance car that can seat my entire family and some guests and has all the tech I could ever want in a car. The fact that it's zero emissions and doesn't consume gas is a nice side effect that didn't impact my decision at all.

A lot of electricity comes from burning coal and other things that are nasty for the environment too. Unless you're paying extra to get only renewable energy from your energy provider, it's not like your carbon footprint is 0.

As someone who just placed an order and is eagerly awaiting my model X, I can still appreciate the post to understand why it wasn't working out for the OP. I want to make sure the X is a car I can keep for a decade (really hope it can be) and I have young kids so I'm also interested in why they were getting sick.

So my kids get sick when we drive on winding roads. I think this is because they cannot see out of a window, but some kids just get motion sickness, so who knows. It could possibly be that one or both parent tends to like to accelerate a little through turns on curvy, hilly roads. At any rate, I keep bags in the car (actual trash bags that do not leak - made that mistake before) just in case someone feels ill. No one had any issues sitting in the back on our long highway trip from Virginia to Florida, so it appears to be the rolling/winding hills of Virginia that do them in. Perhaps OP has the same scenario?

We had a Navigator extended, and I personally like my X better (or I guess I'd still be driving it). It was painful to spend $500+ in premium fuel a month (otherwise it would start knocking and losing power going up hills). My main problem with driving an ICE anymore is that I expect them to slow down when my foot eases off of the accelerator, and I can totally see blowing a stoplight/sign or just rear ending another car.