Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm preparing to embark on a road trip from California to the Northwest. Undoubtedly, I'll be using the Washer/Dryer 14-50 outlets of friends to charge my X. Keeping in mind that I have the High Amperage Upgraded Charging capability, what extension cord would you recommend? Any trial-and-error experiences to share?

I'm preparing to embark on a road trip from California to the Northwest. Undoubtedly, I'll be using the Washer/Dryer 14-50 outlets of friends to charge my X. Keeping in mind that I have the High Amperage Upgraded Charging capability, what extension cord would you recommend? Any trial-and-error experiences to share?

If you're using your friend's washer/dryer outlet, they're typically 14-30 outlets, not 14-50. Most 14-50 are kitchen ovens. I would recommend you double check on that. There are threads on how the outlets look. Have your friend take a picture of his/her outlet and forward it to you so you know what you are dealing with.

Keeping in mind that I have the High Amperage Upgraded Charging capability, what extension cord would you recommend?

That makes no difference when it comes to an extension cord since the UMC only puts out 40 Amps max. That's great for the HPWC or destination chargers in excess of 48 amps.

I bought the Camco one when I got my car and I was surprised how heavy and bulky it was. I then read here that it has an extra wire that is not used by Tesla, so I made one myself using these parts:

6 3 SOOW So Cord 30 ft HD USA Portable Outdoor Indoor 600 V Flexible Wire Cable | eBay

Camco 55353 50 Amp Female Replacement Receptacle New Free Shipping | eBay

Camco Power Cord Plug 50 Amp Electric Male Connector RV camper Travel Trailer | eBay

I marked it "Tesla Only" since it should never be used for RV's or damage will result. I also removed the neutral plug and it fit both my dryer outlet and range outlet at my cabin (before I installed a HPWC there) but you have to remember to dial down the amps to 30 in the vehicle when using a dryer outlet.

More info here:

How to build a lightweight 50A extension cord

• Informative
Reactions: Paul Carter
Here's another possibility with a special plug that works with NEMA 14-30, 14-50 and 14-60 outlets: Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft.

Can't decide where the car is going to go, so looking at an extension cord so we can mess about figuring the best way to fit the 3 vehicles in the (no where near) cleared out garage ... The above thread raises one question. If I install a NEMA 14-60 instead of 14-50, will the MS charge at 50AMP continuous as it will with the wall charger - or will something else limit it?

Can't decide where the car is going to go, so looking at an extension cord so we can mess about figuring the best way to fit the 3 vehicles in the (no where near) cleared out garage ... The above thread raises one question. If I install a NEMA 14-60 instead of 14-50, will the MS charge at 50AMP continuous as it will with the wall charger - or will something else limit it?
The UMC is limited to 40 amps. You need a Wall Connector or a high current J1772 to exceed that. You might be able to do that with a 14-60 cable on a 70 amp JuiceBox if you want something portable.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I found the NU-CORD to be a little cheaper than Camco but very heavy duty, very happy with it so far.
25 footer: Amazon.com: NU-CORD 94552E 25-Feet 50-Amp Rv Extension Cord: Automotive

They also carry a 50 foot
That does look better than the EVSEAdapters.Com cord I bought.

I tested the EVSEadapters cord I got at a local campground, and only see a 10 volt A/C drop:

IMG_5529.JPG
image.jpg
IMG_5538.JPG
IMG_5533.JPG

The voltage drop:

image.jpg

IMG_5534.JPG

This is the old Roadster SuperCharger equivalent experience that they used to always say was "slow" compared to the current 70kW-120kW SuperChargers. Now I see what the Roadster owners used to feel about road trips back in the day.

Now with the 100 batteries and Model X out, and the Faraday Future 91 and Lucid Air in reservation at CES show with 130kW batteries, I feel really behind in experimenting at a campground in a Model S 60 for something Roadster owners first experienced back in 2008, nine years ago (so I'm "behind" by a decade and about six iterations --- monetarily speaking, I guess).

I like knowing I have the backup.

The cord doesn't feel warm.

Gratuitous photos:
IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: GoTslaGo

I recommend paying Quick Charge Power to extend the cord on your UMC. They have the special cabling that the UMC uses, and know how to make aircraft grade high reliability splices. This setup will be lighter than an extension cord. It also will have the entire length downstream of the UMC, where it is protect by the UMC's ground fault detection.

Here is a link to their website:

Tesla UMC extension

GSP

I recommend paying Quick Charge Power to extend the cord on your UMC. They have the special cabling that the UMC uses, and know how to make aircraft grade high reliability splices. This setup will be lighter than an extension cord. It also will have the entire length downstream of the UMC, where it is protect by the UMC's ground fault detection.

Here is a link to their website:

Tesla UMC extension

GSP
I really like this solution. Here are some reasons:
  • As you said, GFCI. I did not know the UMC had that. That is a feature to have downstream, indeed.
  • UMC enforces amperage based upon each specific plug type via its proprietary adapter connection to its special connector. But, if using an extension like I did in pictures above, that all runs through the UMC's highest amp 50 amp adapter connector, meaning it will amp limit to the max it can handle for that 50 amp connector, which for continuous use (which is how charging EV's is interpreted in code) is 80% of the circuit rating, so 80% * 50 amp circuit = 40 amp continuous amp use setting. Problem is, if you put the plug adapters on the other side of this (on the non-Tesla side of the UMC, past the 50 amp Tesla plug adapter), as EVSEadapters.com does, this allows a full 40 amp draw from any circuit at whatever length (50 feet in my picture), such as a 30 amp circuit, and if you forget, or don't pay attention, or don't know, or don't want to follow the rules, or have some sort of brain disability (even a non-permanent one like being sick or distracted or a semi-permanent one like getting old like I have), and don't set it to the proper amps inside the Tesla, this could cause a fire or electrocution or both (at any time after, such as while you're there, or after you leave -- next time you see the fire engine for that town, remember, they might have put out the fire that burned your loved ones to death, because you used EVSEadapters.com). For a 30 amp dryer plug, this is 24 amps. For a 20 amp plug, this is 16 amps. For a 15 amp plug, this is 12 amps. And yet, the Tesla will try to pull 40! Extending the UMC fixes this, and it will automatically and seamlessly (without interaction) set and enforce each proprietary Tesla adapter type very specifically to the proper amps (the same amps that you'd have to manually set in the car when using EVSEadapters.com).
I consider the above a huge safety advantage over the pre-UMC extension cord route that I already purchased into. The next time I get a pool of money, I'm definitely ordering myself a modified extended UMC for this very reason. I do have one location I visit that I like to plug into their dryer outlet, and it is very far from where I park, so I need the UMC extended some way.

Had I known about this earlier, this is the only way I would have done it.

Here's what I would do now if I had $1,000 to do this:
  1. Buy Tesla — Mobile Connector Bundle ($550), and according to that, it has a 3 week lead time online, so best to go to a Service Center and buy it directly over the counter (plus tax, so around $600).
  2. Immediately ship it to the address listed on Tesla UMC extension via FedEx/UPS (notate the exact service you want QCP to perform and who to ship it back to) -- looks like $42.98 for ground shipping via UPS from California, and it only takes 2 days -- figure $50 complete with cable protection (I'd start by including the bag), boxing, etc.
  3. While in shipment, payment could be sent to QuickChargePower for the conversion. $300 for the longest length, which is what I would need in my case.
Step 1 & 2 can be done any day, but assuming it's done in one weekday and ground shipment from California is used (hint: take out the plug in adapters from the UMC bundle so the weight is less), QCP then works on it for 2 days, and sends it back, I don't know what courier type -- what if it was 2 days? That would be minimum 6 working days, or more than a week's worth of working days. So, this whole process could easily take 2 weeks. Get on it soon if you think you want this.

I think this is more expensive (by double) than what I already obtained, but that extra whatever $ is nothing compared to the safety level this provides.

Note that using the extension cord by EVSE without any of their adapters doesn't run into the amp setting problem; 40 amps is proper for that if using a proper 50 amp circuit and extending that.

Last edited: