Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty? I can't believe it. What did he just say?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im lost. I have 132k miles, ZERO maintenance or service. what r they doing?
I have had a lot of sw work done. New motor last week free with 3 qts of oil. New motor harness FREE.
I love my service center in Jax. Gotten loaner each time.
I got ripped off in Richmond, that is horrible sc.

Per your signature you have a Model S so not sure how it pertains to discussion of warranty extension options on Model 3.

If I were in your shoes I would plan to replace my car annually. The hit on vehicle value on a 1 year old 50,000 mile car isn't that bad, but a 2 year old with 100K miles is PAINFUL to sell /trade. If you were to collect (or write off) the Federal per mile rate you would find that you would be well ahead to swap cars annually.

The other option is to operate it for 5 or 6 years getting all the way up to 300K miles! This would be daunting, and you would be far better off buying a lightly used two year old S to get the 8 year battery and drive unit warranty, and drive it until the 8 year warranty is up. I would look for one of the last ones with free supercharging from late 16 or very early 17. That would give you six years of warranty on the drive unit, and you would either get 50K bumper to bumper or a max 100K bumper to bumper warranty on the whole car. I would take a route like this as you limit your risks as much as you can near term, and the BIG risks longer term.

A warranty to 100K buys you one more year, and then you are in a worse position to trade / sell it.

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750 and brkaus
Everyone,

I have been shaken to my core and have no other words.

I called Tesla Customer Support @ 1-877-798-3752. Prompt 2 and then Prompt 2.

I told the rep that I am interested in acquiring an Extended warranty for my Model 3. He responded " At this time Tesla does not offer any extended warranties for the Model 3. "

No problem. -

I then told the rep that I'm concerned because I am putting a TON of miles on my car right now and I will probably exhaust my warranty before I've had the car for a year. I told him that if I were going to have to pay for my upcoming service appointment outside of warranty - then I would have to pay upwards to $1800 to $2000 that I don't have. I told him that I just want to know if I can speak to someone about this.

After a few min of pleasant conversation.....

He said to me " You do realize that you knowingly purchased your car with full knowledge that Tesla did not offer any kind of extended warranty".

I said "Excuse me?"

and then he said this " You do realize that you knowingly purchased your car with full knowledge that Tesla did not offer any kind of extended warranty - so......".

If I didn't record it on my phone I wouldn't believe it.

I don't know what to say. I'm floored.
1. Servicing costs are the same whether in or out of warranty.
2. If you don't have $1800 to $2000 then you can't afford an extended warranty :)

I have nothing to say to them.

Charge port door wouldn't open.
Frunk latch replacement.
Leaking seal in rear trunk.
Lights in trunk missing.
Car wouldn't charge - week 1.
No dual tone horn.
Window's on passenger side wouldn't roll all the way up.
Passenger side mirror wouldn't retract.

Wow, that stinks. Sounds like you got a car full of problems so I don’t blame you for at least inquiring about an extended warranty. I’ve had my 3 for 4 months and 17k miles and so far haven’t had a single issue other than the strange popping noise I reported on another thread. Another poster seems to think the noise I heard was from small bits of ice between the glass and frame, which may be the case since I tend only to hear it in cold weather. Good luck with your car!

I am less than a month away from tripping the 50,000 mile mark.

Please pray for my car to have a long healthy lifespan.

Dude, you have a VERY EARLY Model 3 with lots of miles, so congrats! If you don’t mind sharing, what has your experience been with Repairs and Maintenance? Many issues or few and far between? The more detail you are willing to share the better. Thanks!

@Garlan Garner

Have you reviewed the policy offered? Assuming offered in IL.

Seems like a lot of the fit and finish item issues you are having aren't covered. Not sure how much value it would be.

I would think the motor and battery issue could be more of the concern for you as doing 50k a year it would exhaust quickly.

Post warranty many of the fit and finish pieces can be found from totaled cars. You also might find a better labor rate at a local shop specialized in EV's as those start to populate.

What?

You are talking about the service costs to Tesla. That's not what I'm talking about.

I don't have $1800 per occurrence. But for one time insurance....yes.

We have a 10 year and 125,000 or a 8 year and 100,000 miles extended service agreement for Model 3 available on our site to check out (both add-on time and miles). coverage matches the Tesla ESA with only a $100 deductible. We should be live in IL very soon.

www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
Finally...

Some help instead of criticism.

lol only here to help.

Our FAQ is at the bottom of the page and we also have the instant quote tool so you are able to see extended coverage options for you car along with pricing associated with it. You are also able to purchase directly online and we will send you a "X-Care Members Card" (like a Model 3 key card) that has all of your specific information.

For IL, since we are not yet live (should be a couple more weeks hopefully) you are not able to go through the check-out process. But once we get our license approved from the state, then I will turn it on. Once you select a specific coverage option, please enter your email and we will ping you once we are live!

Feel free to comment with questions or reach out directly - [email protected]

Just a few interesting things about this product. Not criticism, but information. Part of this forum is to educate and provide information to all that consider any vendor. A healthy productive discussion is why many come to this forum.

https://www.xcelerateauto.com/terms-conditions-pdf/

I would appreciate any thoughts or a redirect on any of these from @X-Care EV

1. It says breakdown part is not covered if I don't do maintenance services on my vehicle. Is that just that part that fails or do I have to do all the services at each interval according to Tesla to maintain your warranty? Must these services be done during the Tesla warranty period as well, or just when yours kicks in? Interesting that I must maintain receipts for these service. Can't you get them from Tesla?

2. Tesla doesn't provide a spare. It says you will only change tire when I provide a spare. So tire service can't procure a tire for roadside assistance that a Ranger could potentially?

3. If you don't select that you do commercial work (Lyft/Uber) you can't add it at a later date.

4. Really check this policy if you have made any suspension mods.

5. No Mexico (not surprising) I think Tesla used to be this way once.

6. 30 day cancelation policy (free look period) less $50 assuming no claims.

Some of these things may not apply due to state by state laws that have minor differences. So dive into the state by state differences if you like. There are many.

I would say to @X-Care EV. Be careful about speaking about the states you don't offer coverage in currently. As an insurance company or agent of one, there are certain laws pertaining to not being able to currently offer a product in a state, yet still act in the manner of selling.

Last edited:
Just a few interesting things about this product. Not criticism, but information. Part of this forum is to educate and provide information to all that consider any vendor. A healthy productive discussion is why many come to this forum.

https://www.xcelerateauto.com/terms-conditions-pdf/

I would appreciate any thoughts or a redirect on any of these from @X-Care EV

Of course! We are here to help and answer all questions.

1. It says breakdown part is not covered if I don't do maintenance services on my vehicle. Is that just that part that fails or do I have to do all the services at each interval according to Tesla to maintain your warranty? Must these services be done during the Tesla warranty period as well, or just when yours kicks in? Interesting that I must maintain receipts for these service.

For Teslas, not getting your yearly maintenance check-up would not void X-Care. We cover all EVs, and other warranty booklets and maintenance schedules are different than Teslas. We view Teslas annual service check-up as more of an inspection and only replaces items like wiper blades, key fob batteries, tire rotations and brake checks.

We know that most Tesla owners do not, nor do they have to, get their annual service done and therefore will not affect your X-Care coverage.

2. Tesla doesn't provide a spare. It says you will only change tire when I provide a spare. So tire service can't procure a tire for roadside assistance that a Ranger could potentially?

Since Teslas do not have spare, we will cover towing to your nearest Tesla Service Center to have it repaired. Since this is worded for all EVs (present and future) if one does have a spare, then we will replace for you. If not, then towing service/roadside assistance would cover you to your nearest service center.

3. If you don't select that you do commercial work (Lyft/Uber) you can't add it at a later date.

This is a good question and just double checked on my side - if you are driving for Rideshare/commercial and a breakdown happens, you cannot add it during a claim - it must happen before. If you reach out to us before/during you sign on for rideshare, then we will accept the add-on for future claims.

4. Really check this policy if you have made any suspension mods.

Any modifications would not be covered under X-Care nor would it by Tesla (ESA or normal warranty). If a part is damaged due to a modified component, that wouldn't be covered by X-Care nor would it by Tesla either.

Personally speaking - I have a modified Model 3 that is under warranty and recently had to go through this. Tesla wouldn't touch my car unless I brought it back to stock.

5. No Mexico (not surprising) I think Tesla used to be this way once.

Yes - if you are in Mexico and a breakdown occurs, we will not cover.

6. 30 day cancelation policy (free look period) less $50 assuming no claims.

We are nice and reasonable people. If it was just a few days later, we would give you 100% of your money back. If it was already processed on all of our ends and we already sent you material, such as X-Care Members Card, processed payment to our administrator, then that makes it a little more complicated to undo. I hope that is understandable.

I would say to @X-Care EV. Be careful about speaking about the states you don't offer coverage in currently. As an insurance company or agent of one, there are certain laws pertaining to not being able to currently offer a product in a state, yet still act in the manner of selling.

All of our information is on our website no matter which state you are in - coverage is all the same in every state whether you purchased it from a dealer that sold you your Tesla, or purchased directly online (limited depending on what state you are in). We partnered with one of the largest providers of vehicle service contracts in the country and worked with them to create and launch X-Care. They have a ton of resources and knowledge and about what we can or cannot do. I view this as more "educating" than "selling" considering this is the first of its kind (EV industry).

I hope this helps!!

Reactions: smythey
What?

You are talking about the service costs to Tesla. That's not what I'm talking about.

I don't have $1800 per occurrence. But for one time insurance....yes.
So by “service appointment” you don’t mean than you have an appointment for servicing.
I must sue my year 6 reading comprehension teacher for her appalling lack of foresight (although my year 8 sarcasm tutor would applaud my ongoing dedication).

Rather than pay $5k to extend a warranty ..... how about $10,000 - just to get same day service, with sonic / air / same day parts delivery, instead of having to wait 'till Tesla has spare time to make extra headliners, or CV joints, or air suspension compressors, or screens w/out yellow borders etc. And no waiting for a loaner. It'd be kind of like a Disney fast pass - only way better Now THAT would sell like hor cakes.

Sorry I can't edit above thread - but mods have seen fit to make a short duration time limit on on how long after the post you can modify (sigh)
Terms & Conditions - Xcelerate Auto
Has anyone gotten a quote from these folks?
Some companies charge a flat rate, but from their website's info form, their cost may turn on what different features you may have. Would be nice to know what the high and low is, if that has even been determined.
More importantly .. why is ANYBODY asking about a warranty so early? You have up to the very last mile/day of your existing warranty to add an aftermarket warranty. Some will even allow a gap, but most won't.
Does anyone actually offer a 3rd party warranty that will cover a Tesla?
Some jurisdictions do not allow companies to call these 3rd-party contracts a warranty. It's easier for some people to wrap their head around the notion that they are in fact more of an extended service contract. 6 of one - ½dozen of the other. Companies like to call them a "warranty", because there are stricter enforcement rules under various States' Insurance Commissions - & in essence, the 3rd party company is assuring you that your car will be fixed when broken, just as State Farm insurance assures your house will be fixed - if someone drives through it, or it burns down - as our renters did to our Nashville home last year;
2018-05-29 04.47.31.png

Sure - we had to fight with them for nearly a year, but it all worked out.
And like the probability of negligent renters causing destruction, an actuary will calculate odds of your model 3 ending on the side of the road prematurely (after factory warranty), just like they calculate the odds of negligent renters, or tornados, earthquakes damage or lightning.
Since all of the model 3 cars are still under warranty, an actuary cannot adequately determine whether or not the model 3 will incur large costs, or run problem free for another 150,000 miles Beyond your policy. Risk aversion versus profit lost. These Arrangements after all, are designed to make money for their respective companies. (As a 'warranty' some fly-by-night companies would simply declare bankruptcy when they failed to determine cost adequately. The insurance industry, although some have tried to do that can't do it so easily.). Many people feel these policies are BS. We've had 2 different cars with extended policies. One was for a Range Rover, the other for our Prius. Both of the policies more than paid for their self. Usually though, that's not the case, FWIW. Eventually there will be policies available for the 3 Once they figure what the cost should be and still yield a profit to the companies offering.

Last edited:
More importantly .. why is ANYBODY asking about a warranty so early?
Because it will not be long at all before some Model 3s are hitting 50k, and at least in my case I would rather hand my cash to Tesla than to an aftermarket extended warranty provider. Seems like an easy source of cash for Tesla to offer these, just as they did for S/X. I'll be at 50k before the end of 2019, and am certain others are driving more than I am driving mine.

Reactions: Darthbenji
Some companies charge a flat rate, but from their website's info form, their cost may turn on what different features you may have. Would be nice to know what the high and low is, if that has even been determined.

X-Care here...happy to help answer your questions. The rate will vary between the year, make, model, and odometer of the vehicle. In our analysis when creating X-Care for the Tesla community, we did not see a significant difference in component failure for various options to warrant a pricing methodology that varied per option.

More importantly .. why is ANYBODY asking about a warranty so early? You have up to the very last mile/day of your existing warranty to add an aftermarket warranty. Some will even allow a gap, but most won't.

It turns out to be cheaper to buy it ahead of time. The rate increases as your vehicle age and odometer increases. So by waiting, you would be paying more. We account for the vehicle still being under warranty so therefore cheaper to get an 8 year right after you take delivery, vs buying a 4 year once your vehicle is 4 years old/has 50k miles.

These Arrangements after all, are designed to make money for their respective companies. (As a 'warranty' some fly-by-night companies would simply declare bankruptcy when they failed to determine cost adequately. The insurance industry, although some have tried to do that can't do it so easily.). Many people feel these policies are BS. We've had 2 different cars with extended policies. One was for a Range Rover, the other for our Prius. Both of the policies more than paid for their self. Usually though, that's not the case, FWIW. Eventually there will be policies available for the 3 Once they figure what the cost should be and still yield a profit to the companies offering.

We do not defend other companies nor other products. We are here to break whatever stigma that might be out there. We are Tesla veterans, have been working directly with Tesla as a 3rd party lessor since 2014, and have staff who were high level management at Tesla for several years. We knew that the more vehicles that end up in dealers hands, the more vehicles that would not be eligible to buying Tesla's ESA, which is why we mirrored X-Care with the Tesla ESA except with half the deductible. Our goal is to give that peace of mind to individuals and help them make that jump. Those are the stories we love to hear...we want to be a catalyst for these vehicles and overall strengthen the brand from the Used/Resale side.

Because of our knowledge/data behind the vehicles, we were able to create an X-Care extended service agreement for Model 3 already. Feel free to reach out to us directly if you would like to learn more.