Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty? I can't believe it. What did he just say?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems likely that Tesla just hasn't put the model 3 extended warranty program together yet, what with all the other stuff they are doing. Personally I wouldn't make more of it than that. I will probably buy the warranty when it becomes available, but not too worried before then.

I guess if it was crucially important to me to be able to buy an extended warranty, I would have confirmed pricing and availability before buying the car.

There is never a way to determine what Tesla will do in the future on things such as this.

Remember? Before the Model 3 came out...things changed daily.

Free supercharging - NO free supercharging
EAP or AP … FSD?
Air Conditioned Seats - No air conditioned seats.
Air suspension - No air suspension
Gift for waiting in line on March 31st 2016....No gift.
etc.

No...I'm not complaining, just pointing out that there is STILL no way to tell what Tesla is going to do - EVEN when they state what they are going to do.

I actually find that to be a little exciting.

Last edited:
Most car companies I know do.

This topic is partly why I switched from Model 3 to Model X. Just didn't like the idea of owning a Tesla with out factory coverage.
Also got unlimited miles on Battery and drive train.

I had assumed Tesla eventually would offer it on Model 3, I find it very odd that they do not.

example? I think you will find they are ALL 3rd party. Yes, dealer sells it to you. But it is insurance by 3rd party.

Almost all extended warranties are third party. Most car manufacturers do not offer. Tesla offering for S, X unusual. I doubt they will Ever offer again.
Ford manufacturer warranty: Ford Protect

Honda manufacturer warranty: Honda America

GM manufacturer warranty: GM Financial

Lexus manufacturer warranty: Lexus Financial

Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler manufacturer warranty: Mopar, from Chrysler Group LLC

BMW manufacturer warranty: BMW USA

None of those are 3rd party.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
example? I think you will find they are ALL 3rd party. Yes, dealer sells it to you. But it is insurance by 3rd party.

Jeep is not, Chevy is not. VW is not.

Many sleazy dealers will TRY to sell you 3rd party warranty and dealers can do what ever they want. All 3 of those brands I got the warranty from the factory by other means. All learned through respective forums. And they were all factory warranties and they automatically showed up in dealers computers. Without buying it from them. Sad thing is though I hardly had to use them.

Ford manufacturer warranty: Ford Protect

Honda manufacturer warranty: Honda America

GM manufacturer warranty: GM Financial

Lexus manufacturer warranty: Lexus Financial

Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler manufacturer warranty: Mopar, from Chrysler Group LLC

BMW manufacturer warranty: BMW USA

None of those are 3rd party.
OK. I stand corrected. Have owned > 20 cars and nobody ever tried to sell me one of these except dealers selling 3rd party and aggressive 3rd party selling themselves.

I still would be surprised if Tesla offers again soon. They over-prescribed service for early S. Neither Tesla nor customers knew how reliable they’d be. Now I think they’ve gone too far the other way. Almost no prescribed service for 3 and I presume Y.

Reactions: jkdman123
OK. I stand corrected. Have owned > 20 cars and nobody ever tried to sell me one of these except dealers selling 3rd party and aggressive 3rd party selling themselves.

I still would be surprised if Tesla offers again soon. They over-prescribed service for early S. Neither Tesla nor customers knew how reliable they’d be. Now I think they’ve gone too far the other way. Almost no prescribed service for 3 and I presume Y.
I think the manufacturers only offer these extended service plans at the time of sale on new cars only (and MAYBE for a short time after purchase). If you have a used car then you have to go 3rd party, which I’m VERY leery of.

Just want to mention, all of these comments is the exact reason why we created X-Care. Yes, its technically 3rd party, but we mirrored Tesla's ESA and made it specifically for Tesla then lumped every other EV in. We mirrored the factory extended warranty to give current and future owners an option for peace of mind.

We saw that Tesla wasn't expanding on these programs - so why deprive the community and future owners by letting traditional companies try create a warranty product for Model S, X, 3 and soon Y. We have been offering a Model 3 ESA for over a year now and we are glad to say that we were the reason why hundreds of new owners decided to buy a used car now that there was a warranty option. We are customer centric and transparent in every thing that we do.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Just want to mention, all of these comments is the exact reason why we created X-Care. Yes, its technically 3rd party, but we mirrored Tesla's ESA and made it specifically for Tesla then lumped every other EV in. We mirrored the factory extended warranty to give current and future owners an option for peace of mind.

We saw that Tesla wasn't expanding on these programs - so why deprive the community and future owners by letting traditional companies try create a warranty product for Model S, X, 3 and soon Y. We have been offering a Model 3 ESA for over a year now and we are glad to say that we were the reason why hundreds of new owners decided to buy a used car now that there was a warranty option. We are customer centric and transparent in every thing that we do.
Am I correct that X-Care does not cover the battery or drive train for Tesla’s?

Am I correct that X-Care does not cover the battery or drive train for Tesla’s?

Yes, the battery and drive unit are not covered under X-Care since that is already covered under your existing 8 year warranty from Tesla. We are looking to create a separate product that does cover battery and drive unit once the vehicles get a bit older and people are exiting their existing warranty. From our knowledge, as of now, no one (3rd party of through Tesla) has an offering to extend battery and drive unit warranty.

Last edited:
Yes, the battery and drive unit are covered under X-Care since that is already covered under your existing 8 year warranty from Tesla.

Just to head off some confusion- This is supposed to say NOT covered, right?

That's my understanding from the contract terms... and otherwise the rest of the post doesn't make much sense

Y
We are looking to create a separate product that does cover battery and drive unit once the vehicles get a bit older and people are exiting their existing warranty. From our knowledge, as of now, no one (3rd party of through Tesla) has an offering to extend battery and drive unit warranty.

Reactions: XCare EV
What is X Care’s expectation for “recommended service” since Tesla no longer has a service chart?

For Tesla, we do not look for any previous service history or maintenance. Since they eliminated their recommended service and annual maintenance plans, it does not apply. That applies for other EVs that are different than Tesla in that regard.

Reactions: Red_DS
On the topic of warranty, at the bottom of page 3 of the Terms and Conditions for buying a new Tesla there is a paragraph on "What vehicles are covered?" Tesla apparently will not provide new car warranty coverage if you buy a car in one "warranty region" but move to another region say across the USA, then sell it. For example, you originally buy your Model X in NY and register it in NY. You have established that warranty region as the region any subsequent owner must bring the car to, even if that new owner is in Oregon. The new owner can only get warranty service by bringing the car to New York. Subsequent warranty service can only be obtained if the subsequent owner returns the car to the original warranty region (NY). I cannot imagine what prompted Tesla to have that gem in the Terms and Conditions.

The word "country" is used in the final sentence. If this does not apply to the USA, they should state it. I was about to fly to Seattle to purchase such a 3k mile 2020 MX, and had I been aware of how this might screw up the warranty I would have not looked at a used Tesla outside of my "warranty region". Am I not understanding this correctly?

There are a number of such illogical statements in the Terms and Conditions. Of course, the current Terms and Conditions have changed considerably over the years. This issue could only be dealt with by asking Tesla to alter the rules, at their "sole discretion". When I study the Terms and Conditions "at Tesla's sole discretion" appears numerous times. It appears that every incident where Tesla felt taken advantage of, or did not fare too well, got documented over the years and covered in the newest Terms and Conditions.

Has the newest Terms and Conditions and warranty language been a problem for any of you readers? Does the 2nd owner of a MX in Washington state, who bought a used MX from a Ford Dealer in Seattle, then goes to the Grand Canyon, and experiences failures normally covered under warranty, does he get screwed? Perhaps this is an example of where humans realize the absurdity of it and invoke the "sole discretion" magic?

20201118_194403.jpg

On the topic of warranty, at the bottom of page 3 of the Terms and Conditions for buying a new Tesla there is a paragraph on "What vehicles are covered?" Tesla apparently will not provide new car warranty coverage if you buy a car in one "warranty region" but move to another region say across the USA, then sell it. For example, you originally buy your Model X in NY and register it in NY. You have established that warranty region as the region any subsequent owner must bring the car to, even if that new owner is in Oregon. The new owner can only get warranty service by bringing the car to New York. Subsequent warranty service can only be obtained if the subsequent owner returns the car to the original warranty region (NY). I cannot imagine what prompted Tesla to have that gem in the Terms and Conditions.

The word "country" is used in the final sentence. If this does not apply to the USA, they should state it. I was about to fly to Seattle to purchase such a 3k mile 2020 MX, and had I been aware of how this might screw up the warranty I would have not looked at a used Tesla outside of my "warranty region". Am I not understanding this correctly?

There are a number of such illogical statements in the Terms and Conditions. Of course, the current Terms and Conditions have changed considerably over the years. This issue could only be dealt with by asking Tesla to alter the rules, at their "sole discretion". When I study the Terms and Conditions "at Tesla's sole discretion" appears numerous times. It appears that every incident where Tesla felt taken advantage of, or did not fare too well, got documented over the years and covered in the newest Terms and Conditions.

Has the newest Terms and Conditions and warranty language been a problem for any of you readers? Does the 2nd owner of a MX in Washington state, who bought a used MX from a Ford Dealer in Seattle, then goes to the Grand Canyon, and experiences failures normally covered under warranty, does he get screwed? Perhaps this is an example of where humans realize the absurdity of it and invoke the "sole discretion" magic?

View attachment 609717

Perhaps read the next paragraph. The region for you would be anywhere in United States or Canada.

So if the car was originally purchased in the United States you can get it serviced anywhere in the United States or in Canada, but not in China. If the car was purchased in France you can get the car serviced in Germany but not in China.

This seems totally reasonable to me.

Screenshot_20201118-192604.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Interesting that you say that throwing some burnable carbon on the fire at this time solves nothing - Because it has actually solved something.

I just got a call from Tesla about my burnable carbon concern and they have issued me an opportunity for an extended warranty on everything.
I have to check the details and pricing, however they did reach back out to me on their own.

They indicated to me - and I quote " If you are willing to exhaust your warranty in less than a year due to mileage....we won't leave you out there hanging".

They are adding a link to purchase an extended warranty to my account page in a little while.

NEVER say that the squeaky wheel doesn't get the oil. Especially not this month.

Garlan: did TSLA ever get back to you with a EW quote? (did I miss your post?)