Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty - Is it violated if I added MPP suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYLR owner considering adding extended warranty for $2K but I did add the MPP comfort coilover suspension. Does anyone know if that violated my warranty so extended it wouldn't make any sense? I've heard more service horror stories these days than when I first bought almost 3 years ago.

Like any warranty, it depends on what you are expecting to be covered. Since you did aftermarket suspension, you should expect nothing in the suspension to be covered by any sort of manufacturer warranty. This includes toe arms, etc.

If you purchase an extended warranty and the screen in the car goes out, your aftermarket suspension wont matter one bit related to that. If you purchase an extended warranty and then go rolling up to tesla to talk about "it squeaks when I go over speed bumps" or anything at all related to anything with the suspension parts (any of them) expect to be told "sorry thats not covered".

So, if you are purchasing it because you are worried about suspension, then you shouldnt purchase it. If you are purchasing it because you want to cover the screen, or battery or charging stuff, then "voided warranty because of my suspension" doesnt apply.

Though the burden of proof is on the dealer/Tesla, one should also take into consideration, the drive motor. Since the drive shaft angle is altered from the factory geometry, any abnormalities in the drivetrain could be blamed on the modified suspension.

Though the burden of proof is on the dealer/Tesla, one should also take into consideration, the drive motor. Since the drive shaft angle is altered from the factory geometry, any abnormalities in the drivetrain could be blamed on the modified suspension.

People always say this, and its sort of true and sort of not. If you do an aftermarket suspension, and then have problems with the suspension, unless the aftermarket suspension is designed to mimic the OEM one exactly, then the manufacturer already has passed the "burden of proof".

The whole magnusson moss thing is about parts designed to the same specifications. not just "aftermarket parts", but "aftermarket parts designed to the same specifications. If you purchase tires that meet the same specifications as the OEM (for example) meaning same speed rating, same weight rating, and same type as offered OEM, then have an issue, they cant deny you.

If, however, you purchase tires in a different size than offered in OEM on the vehicle, or put them in a staggered setup when its not offered that way oem, or put them in a square setup when its only offered OEM as staggered, etc etc, then the manufacturer just has to say "this is not how we designed it", and they have passed the burden of proof.

Any aftermarket suspension seller will also tell people the same thing. Dont expect to get warranty service on suspension issues if you replace your OEM suspension with aftermarket. That has nothing to do with a warranty on brake lights or the computer screen though, and people somehow marry the two together in "void your warranty" as if the warranty on the entire car would be voided, when it isnt.

MYLR owner considering adding extended warranty for $2K but I did add the MPP comfort coilover suspension. Does anyone know if that violated my warranty so extended it wouldn't make any sense? I've heard more service horror stories these days than when I first bought almost 3 years ago.

Off topic but do you like the comfort suspension?

My car is about to roll out of warranty and needs new tires. I asked my 'guy' which tires would improve the ride the most and he said none, I needed to change the suspension. Since the car is going out of warranty anyway, and I really trust this guy (and he does install the comfort suspensions) I'm starting to get feedback on braver folks than I who have already done it.

Reactions: patsfan02360
I had UP lowering springs on my previous Model 3, and there was squeaking in the suspension (before i installed the springs) - Tesla originally denied me service in all since I had aftermarket springs. I said that was ridiculous and this problem was happening before i even installed the springs. After a lot of back and forth and argue, they finally worked on my car and covered it.

With my Cybertruck, I asked one of the techs about a power converter if someone were to try and install an aftermarket sound system (48v -> 12v), his first response was "your entire vehicle warranty will be void if you do that" without entertaining a technical conversation in any way as just a hypothetical. depends on who you deal with, but most of the folks i dealt with at Tesla Service aren't that good (but the ones who are good, tend to be wonderful)

Reactions: patsfan02360
Off topic but do you like the comfort suspension?

My car is about to roll out of warranty and needs new tires. I asked my 'guy' which tires would improve the ride the most and he said none, I needed to change the suspension. Since the car is going out of warranty anyway, and I really trust this guy (and he does install the comfort suspensions) I'm starting to get feedback on braver folks than I who have already done it.
I had the MPP comfort coilovers installed and adjusted (that took three tries, btw ask Jessie at MPP for an installer recommendation before you buy!) and they worked for me. I thought the ride in my 2021 MYLR was unacceptably rough. One trip down a cobblestone street and I was looking for help. These worked for me.

• Informative
Reactions: SidetrackedSue