Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty? I can't believe it. What did he just say?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 50k I would have pretty much been on my own except for the fact that I'm now being offered an extended warranty. I don't see the particulars yet.
Even if they offered the extended warranty for the Model 3, the most that Tesla offers for the Model S and X is an additional 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first (the cost of which is $4,800-$5,300 depending on when you purchase it). So you would only be getting an additional year of warranty based on the amount of mileage you drive.

Reactions: AlanJ
Even if they offered the extended warranty for the Model 3, the most that Tesla offers for the Model S and X is an additional 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first (the cost of which is $4,800-$5,300 depending on when you purchase it). So you would only be getting an additional year of warranty based on the amount of mileage you drive.

That's only IF the 3 matches the S & X's warranty......which the currently they do not match.

I didn't say they were mileage based...

I said that my mileage would exhaust me of my warranty faster than my issues might show up.

Unlike you....I WILL NOT take a loss on anything. Period.

Read my post above.

That's exactly my point! Your issues are not mileage-based, but with your high mileage you'll burn through a 4yr/50k extended warranty in the first year. That means you'll be plopping down at least $3k every year, on top of any routine maintenance. If that's not considered a "loss", then I don't know what is.

Xcelerate to sell third-party warranties for EVs including Teslas

Note that the article indicates the extended warranty needs to be purchased BEFORE the 5k mile mark!

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and outdoors
Xcelerate to sell third-party warranties for EVs including Teslas

Note that the article indicates the extended warranty needs to be purchased BEFORE the 5k mile mark!

That's odd. Usually extended warranty could be purchased anytime before the original warranty ran out. Maybe it is a typo.. 50k? But $3200 is about what I would expect Tesla to charge for the Model 3 covering from 50K to 100K. Depends on which parts are likely to break down between 50k to 100k miles...$3200 may not be too bad. I am sure I paid more for our BMW X5 in out of warranty repairs between 50K to 100K. On the other hand, I drove 180,000+ miles on my Lexus and did not have to spend a penny on out of warranty repair. I am hoping Tesla would be more like Lexus in the reliability department.

I went on to Xcelerate's site. www.excelerateauto.com X-care is the product and is service is provided by Tesla Service Centers

For a 2018 Model 3 with 20k in miles they want $3500. Would not let me put more than 20k in miles box. My assumption is they don't offer more than that....

@Garlan Garner . Currently not offered in IL.

for 5,000 miles and below you get two options

10y 125k for $3700
8yr 100k for $3200

So coverage would be to 130 and 105 respectfully.

Lot's of information in the FAQ's

Not for me.....20k was so last year:p

• Informative
Reactions: Need
I went on to Xcelerate's site. www.excelerateauto.com X-care is the product and is service is provided by Tesla Service Centers

For a 2018 Model 3 with 20k in miles they want $3500. Would not let me put more than 20k in miles box. My assumption is they don't offer more than that....

@Garlan Garner . Currently not offered in IL.

for 5,000 miles and below you get two options

10y 125k for $3700
8yr 100k for $3200

So coverage would be to 130 and 105 respectfully.

Lot's of information in the FAQ's

Not for me.....20k was so last year:p

Wrong link, here's the correct one: https://www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/

I've never purchased an extended warranty for a vehicle before, but shouldn't it "extend" the manufacturer's warranty and not apply the warranty to current date and mileage? Also, this does NOT seem to include coverage for the battery and motor(s)...yikes!

...shouldn't it "extend" the manufacturer's warranty...

If I input current 20,000 miles for 2018 Model 3 it would say "8yr or 100,000 miles $3,500" and "Coverage until 2/14/2017 or 120,000 miles.

So by paying $3,500, the first 50,000 miles is a duplicated between Tesla and Xelerrate but from 50,000 miles to 120,000 miles it's on Xelerrate only, thus the word "extend" which does not end at 50,000 miles.

Reactions: outdoors
Wrong link, here's the correct one: https://www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/

I've never purchased an extended warranty for a vehicle before, but shouldn't it "extend" the manufacturer's warranty and not apply the warranty to current date and mileage? Also, this does NOT seem to include coverage for the battery and motor(s)...yikes!

Probably because Tesla covers battery and motor for 8 year 120k on AWD and Perf. 8 year 100k on mid range.

Sorry on the link earlier picked wrong one off of the google link

We just released the first 3rd party Service Agreement for Model S, Model X and Model 3.

We have an online tool where you can learn, see, and purchase coverage directly on our website. X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

Product Highlights
- $100 Deductible
- Exclusionary Coverage
- Highlighted Items; MCU, Instrument Cluster, Internal Charger, HVAC, Door Handles/Falcon Wing Doors, Sensors/Cameras, Air Suspension, Sunroof, etc.
- Emergency 24/7 Roadside Assistance
- Trip Interruption Coverage

Let me know if you have any questions.

Xcelerate to sell third-party warranties for EVs including Teslas | Reuters

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: brkaus and Pkmmte