Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expectations Blown away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a lot of the joy has been sucked out of driving by the environmental focus/guilt/hyper-sensitivity/whatever.

I would use the word reality. Yeah, heck! I agree! It really sucks big time! But unfortunately there’s just no way you can just put a smile on it and do donuts around the reality that is the chemistry and the physics behind man made global warming. There just isn’t.

My Model S has sparked more interest and attention than any other car I've owned, by a major factor. Not a single day goes by when I don't have someone stop me to ask questions, take photos on the highway from their moving cars, or just stare. People are becoming more aware for sure -- I've had half a dozen people mention the CR review.

My friend ended up ordering a p85 yesterday, he didn't even wanted to check any other cars.

I didn't think about it quite like this before, but because I started following Tesla in the Roadster days and was excited about the Model S when it was announced, by the time I needed a new car and put down my deposit, I'd been on this path where I never thought about another car seriously, either. I mean if I'd been told it was too much and I couldn't get it, I would've looked at hybrids, probably, but I was so into Tesla and the Model S by the time I needed--really, was way past needing--a new car, I kinda skipped the whole "what should I look at" thing. (blush)

I was late to a management/leadership mini-class at work and walked in to find people had been talking about my car while waiting for me; not sure who ratted me out. ;-) One woman wouldn't stop talking about it afterwards--made the receptionist pull up Tesla's site, asked where it was parked so she could look at it, etc. ;-) I offered a test ride and got a "oh, no, I couldn't ever get one" (I guess she was afraid it'd spoil her?)...I offered again after she went to see it and came back to gush, and she was like "yeah I might take you up on that ;-)." LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. But I must admit, I've had little Tesla time compared to many of you, it sounds like. Or at least, very little from total strangers. (And that's okay by me.)

The thrill is not gone yet in California. We still get lots of thumbs up, waves, and plenty of questions from amazed people at the superchargers.

That is great. What you had been/are experiencing on the west coast is just starting on the east coast which should continue to drive demand. The CR report and stock gyrations have certainly lite a fire under the car/brand.

Funny. We have a couple in the area near me, and I loosely know a dozen of the owners in the metro area here Portland. While I'm waiting for mine, whenever I pass one on the road, my heart always seems to skip a beat, I put the window down and flash them the peace sign as I pass.

It would be interesting to see what kind of number of (how many) "acknowledgements" people get on any given drive.

One friend that surprised me last week saying he had finalized his MVPA after stewing over for 6 months.

I had three friends say they were interested in Model S, but didn't want to take a test drive as they believe they would be hooked.

This is believe is the tipping point. People that have been reading about Model S know that if they get in one, they will want it and most likely buy/lease it. I wish there was a big sign in the Seattle store that said *No obligation FREE test drives*

One friend that surprised me last week saying he had finalized his MVPA after stewing over for 6 months.

I had three friends say they were interested in Model S, but didn't want to take a test drive as they believe they would be hooked.

This is believe is the tipping point. People that have been reading about Model S know that if they get in one, they will want it and most likely buy/lease it. I wish there was a big sign in the Seattle store that said *No obligation FREE test drives*
I'm not sure if I'm making friends or enemies when I give rides. The vast majority want it but don't want to spend for it.

A little reminiscence perhaps.
Other cars that have struck the hearts of purchasers and lurkers alike when they were first introduced. Some that I remember:
1932 Packard Boat tail.
1952 Healey Hundred (Known to many and the Austin-Healey 100/4).
1952 Chevrolet Corvette.
1954 Porsche Speedster.
1954 Mercedes Benz Gullwing.
The 1961 E-Type Jaguar.
Perhaps even the 1964 and 1/2 Mustang.
Many of the modern $1,000,000.00 + Supercars (yea, but for only the very few!!!).
Not going to mention the "F" word here...
And I am sure each of you has some favorites from days past.
These cars and others offered "Car Guys" something to long for. Art aficionados something to look longingly at. Engineers something to delve into.
But, dare I say, none have provoked the interest of such a wide diversity of fans, potential fans, and probable buyers as the Tesla S.
Every time I drive it and every time I don't, there is the potential for a discussion about the importance of what Mr. E. Musk and his car means to the future and to the present.

RNG
2013 Tesla S
2010 Lexus RX 350
2004 Mercedes SL 500
1973 Volvo P1800ES
1964 Mercedes 230 SL
1960 Austin-Healey 3000
1955 Austin-Healey Hundred (recently adopted by new caretaker)

This is the way I think of it.

(1) Some people don't want a car at all. (More every year, as statistics show, for whatever reason; many point to cellphones, which you can't use while driving.) No problem: they can walk, bike, ride an electric motorcycle, take an electric train, whatever. That's cool.
(2) However... among people who do want a car, or who don't want but need a car, basically everyone wants a Tesla. (Some just don't know it yet.)
(3) Among those people, those who can't afford a Tesla... still want an electric car.
(4) Only a shrinking leftover tiny minority actually wants a car which runs on dinosaur juice.

The end of the ICE age is nigh.

Back in February, we got a LOT of attention in the Model S... Now, it's a lot more toned-down. On my 10-minute drive home after work from Menlo Park through Atherton, I saw about six Model S's... Not counting the three or four at work, or the other one my neighbor owns...

2 - i actually feel sorry for you California folks. Telsa is so common out there, the thrill must be gone. ..

Your time will come.

- - - Updated - - -

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by kinddog viewpost-right.png

it's funny because in general, youngin's are less and less interested in cars and driving in general. very different from when i was a kid and turning 16 and getting your license was the end-all-be-all of human existence. now they couldn't care less! perhaps they aren't as eager to go sit in traffic (smart).

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by brianman viewpost-right.png

I think a lot of the joy has been sucked out of driving by the environmental focus/guilt/hyper-sensitivity/whatever.
I disagree. Many twenty-somethings literally cannot afford a car (or at least think they cannot). They may be saddled with student-loan debt, and may have been forced to move back in with their parents. In that situation, a car may seem like a luxury you can do without. A lot of middle-class families have been squeezed to the point where they cannot donate their older car to junior or help them buy one.

Another factor is that teenagers can interact with their friends by texting and using things like Facebook and Instagram. There is less desire to get out of the house to hang out with your friends than there used to be.

Cars sales are down nearly 25 percent in the youth market. Pretty easy to ask a teen to see lack of interest

Here is the TMC thread on the subject. I just added a new study "the Driving Boom is Over' from NBC today.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...generation-quot-love-quot-cars-like-the-older

I was already so convinced about the car, I purchased it without a test drive. I have to say I am so happy I did so, because going back to an ICE and having to wait for delivery after a test drive would likely be unbearable. :)

My wife had the longer travel plans today, so she got to take the S while I was stuck puttering around in the Prius (I even had to fill it up! :mad: First time at a gas station in over two months). It is so unpleasant driving an ICE now, Tesla has ruined me.

Me too. Or I should say, I put down a deposit prior to a test drive. Now it's a race to see which is done first, the garage I'm building for my Tesla or my Tesla. Taking GF to test drive it this week.

2 - i actually feel sorry for you California folks. Telsa is so common out there, the thrill must be gone. Even in a wealthy suberb of Washington DC, they are like black swans. people go CRAZY. it seems to be getting MORE intense, the attention and adoration, not less. last year, most people still didn't know what Tesla was (or care). but with the glowing press coverage, it's in that stage where people now know about it and are actively looking for them out on the roads. a very cool time to be a Tesla owner 'round these parts...

Coming up on four months with the car now, in a fairly upscale Philadelphia suburbs area... I'd say 85% of my/spouse's trips end up with a conversation and/or compliments about the car. EVERY time I drop the kids at school the moms/dads behind me gawk and gush over the jump seats. And as often as not, it's just the straight design of the exterior that draws comments... no clue about the tech, just gushing over how damn pretty the thing is. "Wow, georgeous. Is that your Maserati?" heh...

Your time will come.

- - - Updated - - -

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by kinddog viewpost-right.png

it's funny because in general, youngin's are less and less interested in cars and driving in general. very different from when i was a kid and turning 16 and getting your license was the end-all-be-all of human existence. now they couldn't care less! perhaps they aren't as eager to go sit in traffic (smart).

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by brianman viewpost-right.png

Cars sales are down nearly 25 percent in the youth market. Pretty easy to ask a teen to see lack of interest

Here is the TMC thread on the subject. I just added a new study "the Driving Boom is Over' from NBC today.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...generation-quot-love-quot-cars-like-the-older

My teenage focus group hates the idea of driving. I have 18 yo and 16 yo boys. The 16 yo actually let his learner's permit lapse and has no desire to renew it.

that said, while young folk are less and less interested in automoting, they are discordantly MORE interested in Tesla. Proving that Tesla is much more than just a way to get from Point A to Point B.

I'm going to say something that's a little bit weird...

I'm a college student. In engineering and computer science circles, Elon is held as a messiah of sorts. In a group of 30, 3-4 are fanatics and the rest are usually admirers. The fanatics think he's either here to save capitalism from the decay of 'good enough, time to cash out' or that he's going to rule over Earth from his throne on Mars. People follow his every step. If he was in charge of Tesla or SpaceX alone, but not both, he would've been simply admired. Instead, he's venerated. I know a very enthusiastic fellow who has pamphlets explaining who Elon is and what he does.

My dorm also had a large poster of him made from different pieces of paper, but he's one of three (the other two being MLK and JFK.)

Granted, those circles are specifically the more entrepreneurial ones (Hackathon group and the like.) But the level of fanaticism is still worth mentioning.