Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Executive Rear seats discontinued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure they are not getting rid of the rear seat option. They are either doing an update on the seats alone, or more likely the entire model S interior for the new chassis.

I'm also going to wildly speculate on a new battery configuration for the new chassis that has contributed to the need for a seating change.

I don't know. I liked the option, though it was a bit expensive. I rarely have to fit 3 across in the back, and the rare times when I do, it's not a big deal if the center lacks the same comfort as the sides. I can't remember what the exec seats looked like, but if they were missing a head rest for the center, that would be another bonus. I would rather have the visibility. Right now I drive a Volt, which is 2+2 with no center rear seat, and it's never been a problem.

Probably the only deal breaker, other than maybe the price, would be if you could not fold them down, which sounds like it might be the case based on one of the prior comments on this thread.

I've never in my life heard of a rear car seat that reclines. Some of you are coming from a different world I've apparently not visited.

my 2007 Toyota Camry XLE has them. Slight recline function.

Of the cars I helped deliver last month, I would guess about 5% had the executive rear seat option.

Several other people said they had been interested, but the fact that they didn't fold down was always the sticking point. We almost never have 5 people in our car and I'd consider them if it wasn't for the folding issue as well.

I have the option and love it, gives the car a more luxury feel. I had a P85D loaner for a few days and it had the next gen seats and the back seat didnt fold flat so it seemed pointless for it to even fold down. My car was a demo (50 miles), with a 5k discount, I would have bought it even if it didnt have the executive rear seats. However if I had to pay more than $500 for the option I would pass on it... now if it was free I would take it over the regular seats, like I said they executive seats look nicer and give the car a more luxury feel..

I don't know. I liked the option, though it was a bit expensive. I rarely have to fit 3 across in the back, and the rare times when I do, it's not a big deal if the center lacks the same comfort as the sides. I can't remember what the exec seats looked like, but if they were missing a head rest for the center, that would be another bonus. I would rather have the visibility. Right now I drive a Volt, which is 2+2 with no center rear seat, and it's never been a problem.

Probably the only deal breaker, other than maybe the price, would be if you could not fold them down, which sounds like it might be the case based on one of the prior comments on this thread.

You couldn't seat three people in the back in any way with the Executive Seating option. There was a console between two larger seats.

When we got our Lexus LS460L Executive Class back in 2007, the major attraction was the four seat configuration - mainly for the right rear passenger side seat, which reclines and has an ottoman which allows the passenger to put her feet up. The front passenger seat moves all the way forward in that situation, so the car becomes a 3 seater. The seat has two different massage settings and, of course there is a video that comes down from the roof and a built in DVD player in the back (with two sets of wireless headphones for the left side passenger seat which also reclines). You lose some trunk space, too, to fit all the mechanical parts for the seats. My wife sits in the back and I am the chauffeur. Cost about $12K more and it was special order only. I've only sat in that seat a couple of times, when someone else was driving - better than flying first class, at least domestic!

Not sure whether it is still true today, but back then, IIRC, the Maybach was the only other car that had an ottoman in the rear to put up your feet. It cost a couple of bucks more than the Lexus.

I was planning on getting them. Yesterday, I actually sat in a model with them and thought, "Yep." Little did I know the universe had plans to mock me.

I wanted them because: 1) this model S would be the second one, so I already had a car with folding seats, etc, 2) I never have five in my car anyway (and again if I'm going to, I'll just use the other car), 3) I *often* have two guests in the back for various dinners, etc and it would be nice to have a nice seat and 4) I have two kids and the rear console (while quite nice and useful) seems to be a magnet for crap underneath the front.

My guess is that they sold out of v1.0 and are manufacturing for the new chassis. That would indicated a Model S refresh with the X reveal.

This is my bet as well. There are a couple of other things pointing that way:

a) Selling only front NG seats with mismatching rear seats.
b) Giving up on making matching center consoles.

They would be trying harder to offer fixes for these various issues if they intended for the interior configuration to hang on for a longer period.

Maybe not with the X, but by the fall I bet we'll have a complete new interior c/w more storage, flip down back armrest, some additional physical buttons and a general level of fit and finish closer to what you see in a Mercedes in the same price range. And it won't be retrofittable. :)

Ah well... that's how it goes.

IMHO until they make the interior of the Model S more luxurious to compete with the 7 series and the S class the Executive Rear seat option made little sense, especially since it prevented the seat from being folded, could not recline it, and limited rear seating to just 2 people.

The Model S is a driver's car and it drives better than any car available to buy at any price. However if I were to be chauffeured in, I'd rather buy an S class as the back seat amenities, including reclining seats, and interior luxuries are on a different level altogether. Just look towards the end of the following video for an overview of the back seat of the new 7 series. Makes a Model S, even with the Executive Seat option, seem Spartan by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4PETTBNjTw

All that effort they poured into the Executive Seat option IMHO should have been invested into a Premium Center Console to delight their customers, matching trim included.

Very sad to see this option go away. My future build was going to have it as my use case for the S did not require more than 4 passengers or excessive storage. Perhaps then this is the precursor to a totally new interior design? My order build has just become a wee bit less expensive as a result.
Sigh...

Last edited:
IMHO until they make the interior of the Model S more luxurious to compete with the 7 series and the S class the Executive Rear seat option made little sense, especially since it prevented the seat from being folded, could not recline it, and limited rear seating to just 2 people.

The Model S is a driver's car and it drives better than any car available to buy at any price. However if I were to be chauffeured in, I'd rather buy an S class as the back seat amenities, including reclining seats, and interior luxuries are on a different level altogether. Just look towards the end of the following video for an overview of the back seat of the new 7 series. Makes a Model S, even with the Executive Seat option, seem Spartan by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4PETTBNjTw

All that effort they poured into the Executive Seat option IMHO should have been invested into a Premium Center Console to delight their customers, matching trim included.

Mercedes, BMW, AUDI, etc... with executive rear seating do not permit the rear seat to be folded down. Ordering all the options required for executive rear seating on an S class costs $5600 so for $3600 more than what Tesla was charging you get reclining seats, and one foot rest... OH, and a smaller trunk.. which applies to the other brands too.

Not seeing any Model S's at Sebring, so calling it a "drivers car" is questionable at best.... its a four door luxury sedan that goes fast.. just like a Porsche Panamera, Mercedes CLS63, or AUDI S7.... all of which only seat 4 people. (Audi can seat 5 if you option it that way)