Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any updates on the Melbourne based chargers ?
These would take the pressure off the Tesla network.
Almost all the Melbourne ones on that list exist in some form:

Calder Park: Taylors Lakes Coles Express
Epping: BP Epping
Mulgrave: Ampol Dandenong North
Ringwood: Red Rooster Vermont
Rockbank: McDonald's Melton South
Werribee: Yeah, this one didn't happen.

They're balancing half as many sites with two chargers versus the problems of single chargers.
I wouldn't expect 2 stalls to cost twice as much as 1 stall at a location. Perhaps they could have done 2/3rds the locations, but with 2 stalls at each. At least there is redundancy and you can make alternative plans for locations without one versus getting caught out with a broken charger.

Reactions: AussieOwner
Wouldn’t the chargers be taking to each other given both drawing 350kw at the exact same time would be non existent.

You can’t guarantee that unless the entire site was hard limited to 350 kW and power shared between the two cabinets. Demand charges don’t deal with probabilities but actuals. If you say the entire site won’t draw more than 350 kW, but at some point it does, even briefly, then the operator will get slammed.

Power sharing 175 kW between two cabinets might be fine in terms of providing the service to EV drivers 99% of the time, but the OP did not include that caveat.

You can’t guarantee that unless the entire site was hard limited to 350 kW and power shared between the two cabinets. Demand charges don’t deal with probabilities but actuals. If you say the entire site won’t draw more than 350 kW, but at some point it does, even briefly, then the operator will get slammed.

Power sharing 175 kW between two cabinets might be fine in terms of providing the service to EV drivers 99% of the time, but the OP did not include that caveat.
I was specifically talking about installation costs.

But the others are correct, no reason power sharing can't keep demand low enough to avoid triggering demand charges.

I haven’t paid attention to the units. But I’m guessing 350kw the power units don’t live in the dispensers. If that’s the case easy to stay under the cap only have 350kw worth of power units installed shared between the 2 dispensers. They may be 25kw units or 50kw units etc..

Personally don’t care too much so long as they work and are reliable.

50kW Evie Arena chargers at the recently opened Mall 88 in St. Leonard's, Sydney.
Looks like carpark entry from Lithgow St around the park (Plugshare entries already locked grr)

As well as the two Evie chargers, site has four 22kW BYO Type 2 Ocular chargers on the Explorer network (at $0.28/kWh), and from the Plugshare entry possible prep for an additional ten (they have some reserved numbers)

Last edited:
Interesting quote

Mills says Evie Networks operates 110 charging stations in Australia, with plans to grow that to 150 by July and 250 by year’s end.

Numbers not particularly surprising given Evie's involvement in the Arena suburban and Vic DCAV programs in particular

Interesting quote

Numbers not particularly surprising given Evie's involvement in the Arena suburban and Vic DCAV programs in particular
Also hopefully confidence about reliability going forwards, and not just limited to getting over Easter!

Mills says Evie Networks has stockpiled replacement parts and will roster staff over Easter to ensure chargers are operational or fixed quickly, preventing unnecessary queues.

Finally posted on Facebook today. Sounds like a bigger partnership expanding to other 'key' Dan Murphy's sites too.
The longstanding 50kW charger at Dan Murphys Batemans Bay has recently switched from Chargefox to Evie - likely part of this partnership.

It also switched from free to 45c/kWh at the same time. With three free NRMA chargers in town, two of which are 75kW, I suspect usage will be light.

The longstanding 50kW charger at Dan Murphys Batemans Bay has recently switched from Chargefox to Evie - likely part of this partnership.

It also switched from free to 45c/kWh at the same time. With three free NRMA chargers in town, two of which are 75kW, I suspect usage will be light.
I think this has also changed to 2xCCS. I think there used to be a Chademo. The old plugshare entry has been deleted and replaced with an Evie one so I cannot check historic photos and did not take one myself.

The NRMA ones will also only likely remain free for less that 6 months. (Which is probably good)

Hmmm… holiday traffic, people queuing up for the free NRMA chargers with screaming kids in the back, while the Evie charger sits empty? 🤔

People pay for convenience, accessibility and reliability.