Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everybody remembers their first time.......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woodbridge, VA. May 2015. Never too early to train the minions.
image.jpg

Sept. 2013 @ Waco, TX.

Huge Tesla turnout and Grand Opening celebration for Texas' second Supercharger replete with local media, local politicians, owners, etc.

P1013069.JPG

Second biggest "Tesla sign" (Fremont's sign is HUGE) I have seen to date, and it is still there.

P1013064.JPG

P1013060.JPG

On my way back home, swung by Corsicana to observe their construction status.
Couple of months later (November) had the opportunity to attend TWO more Supercharger Grand Openings on the same day.

Last edited:
9/21/2013, Newark DE, with my family on our way from DC to Philly. I had picked up the car brand-new just 15 days prior, and Newark was one of just a handful of locations in the eastern US. I distinctly remember checking the iPhone app constantly while we were having lunch at the rest stop, marveling at the charging speed. Even after that first experience, I never would have guessed that the following summer we'd take a 2500-mile supercharged road trip down to south Florida and back... but that's precisely what we did last August.

I'll admit it: my first time was pretty awkward.

We were on a weekend trip to Monterey, and part of that plan included a stop at the Gilroy supercharger on the way home to "fill up the tank." I carefully backed into the stall, proud of myself for maneuvering the car so effortlessly with the help of the backup camera, and being all ready to head straight out when it was time to leave.

There was only one problem. This was a stall with the supercharger pod located toward the front (aisle) rather than the back (curb). For whatever reason, I imagined the cable was UMC-length, and that it retracted into the supercharger pod and I would be able to extend it. So I try to pull on the "hose," expecting some longer spool of cable hidden in a recess of the pod. And... nope. It didn't get any longer by tugging it. What you see is what you get.

There was nothing to do but get back into the car, pull out with all the other owners watching me and smiling, then turn around and come in again.

My first time was at the Burlington Superchargers. It was quite the drive there because I figured I could just go up Hwy 9. I didn't realize what a driving adventure that would turn out to be. From that adventure I learned how well the auto hibeams worked, and that it was a mistake turning it off.

Once I made it there I awkwardly backed it up, and I was grateful there wasn't anyone there to witness my first time backing this spaceship up to its docking port. I was still getting used to the size, and I couldn't really see where the back end was. For whatever reason I completely forgot to look at the backup camera and the lines.

After it started charging I had to chuckle because it was then that I noticed that a bunch of the charger signs had been backed into.

Mangler of the English Language is my official title.

More seriously: some things are extremely​ difficult to transfer across language boundaries, as I am sure you know.