Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVangelism - Who have you talked into an EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't talked anyone in my area into one yet but we have a few local car shows in my area that I plan to bring it to. Also my place of work recently installed chargers so i'm sure I will be getting some questions from at least a few of the 5000+ people that work here when I have it parked there.

I've actually toned down EVangelizing for Tesla quite a bit. Since I had to revise the answer to the question "When does your car arrive?" multiple times in the past, always pushing further away. That's just not the kind of answer to build up confidence. With more and more EVs coming to the market, I go pointing out driving electric as a general relief to (very high) gas prices. Not everyone is in the market for a 200km/h 5 seat sedan, but there are the SmartED, Fluence, Leaf, Kangoo, Ampera all available now. That's what customers like - choice.

Not bad but not as good and funny as the Renault one, that was then recycled by Nissan in the US.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FUwjVUi_7U (Renault version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7K_hWuPwv0 (Nissan version)

And I also like the message, "yeah it's new and scary, but you will quickly get used to it"

Nissan had that ad played about 3 times every break during the Tour de France last year. I thought it was a Volt ad at first (not paying attention to the advertizements) because I saw the volt towards the end. I was a bit confused because I knew the Volt could use gasoline. I finally saw the LEAF at the end. I really like the ad.

I turned my orthopedic trauma sales rep onto Tesla and he is planning on buying the Model X. He then goes and convinces another orthopod at another hospital to put a deposit for a Model S.

Too bad Elon doesn't run Tesla like Amway, I'd be a double diamond by now :biggrin:.

Talked my friend, former professor, and current manager into putting down a deposit on a Model S yesterday at the Bellevue store. His biggest complaint is the wait time, he would like it in three or four months...

I think the Gen III will sell like mad around here. The price tag of the 300 mile S is just a little steep for my Engineering co-workers that have children who they plan to put through college. Everyone I have shown the car says that it is the future and the ICE is stupid junk!

I have been told of several 'wealthy' business people around town that want to see my car. I think they would buy one in a heartbeat. I'll need to work out some trade w/ them or get my wife into some of their events

So an update on my boss's EV conversion. He's really scatterbrained about certain things and super busy so really didn't prepare for Tesla much. I kept bugging him to get things ready but he wasn't when his beautiful silver 60 kWh Model S was ready for pickup two weeks ago. He didn't have a place to charge in his condo, hadn't gotten a charge point card or even thought too much into a lot of the details. I had helped him meet with an electrician and he finally settled to simply get a 110 outlet due to the price, but there are so many levels of approval with his homeowners association that it may be another month before it gets installed.

When the car was ready he I urged him to pick it up anyway because we have charging at work. At his request I went with him to the Seattle service center so I could hear everything they said in case he had questions later. All went well and after I drove his awful gas guzzling Lexus SUV back to his condo while he followed in the S, we went to work and I showed him how to work the J1772 adapter there. Thankfully our work has 200V 30A charging. I had him sign up for a charge point card as well. Over the last two weeks its been amazing to see him become knowledgeable about the EV life. He had to fly out of town two days after getting the S but was unsure if SeaTac had adequate charging so he left it with a friend with a garage. After he got back he told me how he learned about several parking companies with charging. And his other trip last week he took the S. His confidence has grown as well and he drives it whereever he needs and charges it at work. He loves watching the energy usage and takes immense pride in showing off that his estimated range is higher than the ideal. The lowest its gotten so far has been 71 ideal miles. It's amazing to watch this whole process since he really didn't know anything about EVs but trusted me enough to buy it. Now he sees that he doesn't even need charging at home if there's adequate work charging and he's very confident that with a simple 110 V outlet at home, he'll really never need to worry. The real kicker is that he told me that he had a lot of friends who told him he was crazy and all sorts of problems with EVs, but now he'll be able to show them all of the advantages. He'll probably never buy another ICE again and will probably convince some of his friends to get EVs, and it will spread and spread. I'm glad that I read this forum so much so I could have the confidence to convince him in the first place.