Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a guy on the Norwegian EV forum who has a script he runs on this site. It's a public site for getting technical information about any car registration. All BEVs in Norway have licence plates in the format ELXXXXX, so by polling the entire range now and then, you can see which numbers are taken and which ones are yet to be assigned.

Anyway, he's been dead accurate thus far, so I have no reason to doubt his data.

- - - Updated - - -

Great stuff, go Norway!! What is the total number of Model S's sold in Norway to date?
The total has now reached 6974 Model S. Plus any registered today.

Keep us updated on daily based this week :)

There's a guy on the Norwegian EV forum who has a script he runs on this site. It's a public site for getting technical information about any car registration. All BEVs in Norway have licence plates in the format ELXXXXX, so by polling the entire range now and then, you can see which numbers are taken and which ones are yet to be assigned.

Anyway, he's been dead accurate thus far, so I have no reason to doubt his data.

- - - Updated - - -

The total has now reached 6974 Model S. Plus any registered today.

On European sales :
On the Dutch speaking Benelux part of the forum I have seen a few mentions in the past weeks of the Tilburg site having a 'neck-breaking' number of P85D's being prepared for delivery. I have not been there myself, seen no pictures, so no proof. However the March Europe numbers might very well see a pretty good number of P85D deliveries.

For two days in a row now I saw a packed trailer with new Tesla's during my daily commute, on the opposite side of the highway, heading from The Netherlands to Germany. No evidence of high numbers ofcourse, but definitely a sign that the traditional End of Q-delivery bump is well underway.

http://ecomento.tv/2015/03/26/elektroauto-rekordfahrt-4000-kilometer-in-zwei-tagen/

Here is the story of Michael Willenberg, a German who got rid of his S Class and purchased a Model S.

And drove 4000 km around Europe in 48 hrs 11 minutes setting a new record for electric cars.

Mr Willenberg said
" a bargain;The S-Class has cost me with gasoline, maintenance and other costs about 20,000 euros per year, Tesla is only 2,000 euros. "

So there is at least one German not only comparing Model S to S Class but replacing the latter with the former.

Notice Mr Willenberg did not drive an E-Class 200 BlueTec before buying his Model S.

^OTOH no one buys 100k car to save money.

And yet, Mr. Willenberg, did. Which means there are others. Lots of well-off people buy expensive, quality things AND don't like to be ripped off or have excessive car maintenance costs or, or, or all the other myriad of expenses in life. It makes total sense to buy a 100k Model S over a 100k (fill in ICE of choice) when the former costs far less to fuel and maintain. That's a lot of money saved over the life of the car and is a smart buy - as in if you're going to buy a 100k car, you might as well buy the one that doesn't cost you another 100k to drive (and offers so many superior attributes).

And yet, Mr. Willenberg, did. Which means there are others. Lots of well-off people buy expensive, quality things AND don't like to be ripped off or have excessive car maintenance costs or, or, or all the other myriad of expenses in life. It makes total sense to buy a 100k Model S over a 100k (fill in ICE of choice) when the former costs far less to fuel and maintain. That's a lot of money saved over the life of the car and is a smart buy - as in if you're going to buy a 100k car, you might as well buy the one that doesn't cost you another 100k to drive (and offers so many superior attributes).

Indeed

+ 1

There's a guy on the Norwegian EV forum who has a script he runs on this site. It's a public site for getting technical information about any car registration. All BEVs in Norway have licence plates in the format ELXXXXX, so by polling the entire range now and then, you can see which numbers are taken and which ones are yet to be assigned

Thanks for the information, that's great news!
By polling all registrations with their corresponding license plate in the format ELXXXXX, how can you distinguish a registration from an e.g. Nissan Leaf?

Thanks for the information, that's great news!
By polling all registrations with their corresponding license plate in the format ELXXXXX, how can you distinguish a registration from an e.g. Nissan Leaf?

Yes. You poll all 99999 possible EL plates and for each it either returns, among other info, make and model or "non existent license plate".

Yes. You poll all 99999 possible EL plates and for each it either returns, among other info, make and model or "non existent license plate".

Ahh, I see, I have to put the digits right after the prefix "EL" and fill with zeros at the end (tried it the other way round before (leading zeros afterwards digits)).
Like "EL 11100" is a Renault Kangoo electric from 2003 (link).
I just wanted to verify if that data source really works;)

Update:
The latest registration data I could pull was for this registration code "EL61140", a Vokswagen UP! from 2015.03.11.
Anybody able to access newer data?

Last edited:
Ahh, I see, I have to put the digits right after the prefix "EL" and fill with zeros at the end (tried it the other way round before (leading zeros afterwards digits)).
Like "EL 11100" is a Renault Kangoo electric from 2003 (link).
I just wanted to verify if that data source really works;)

Update:
The latest registration data I could pull was for this registration code "EL61140", a Vokswagen UP! from 2015.03.11.
Anybody able to access newer data?
The licence plate numbers are not handed out sequantially. Instead, each dealer is assigned a block of numbers, and when they're done with those, they move on to a new block of numbers. Also, as you experienced, the range 00000-09999 is unassigned. (And it will probably never be used.)