Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The official figures for Norway just came in. It ended up at 1493, exactly the same as the unofficial numbers. Tesla was the second largest car maker in Norway in March, only beaten by Volkswagen, and the sixt largest car maker thus far this year, beaten by Volkswagen, Toyota, BMW, Nissan and Volvo, in that order.

The Model S is the most sold car model both this month and thus far this year, with respectively 1493 and 2056 sold. Market share ended up at 10.8% this month and 5.6% thus far this year.

Electric cars ended up with 20.3% market share this month, with 2813 sales, aided by the Nissan Leaf selling 425, the VW e-Up! selling somewhere around 400 (they don't seperate between the electric version and the gasoline version), and the BMW i3 selling 336. 20.3% market share is an increase of 720% from March 2013, where electric cars had a 3.2% market share.

Insane Tesla Record
Tesla crushes all - historic record in March
Crazy Tesla record!

Also FUD:
Clear breaches of the Working Environment Act

Thanks Yggdrasill.

fwiw, EVs excluding Tesla at 9.5% for March 2014 an impressive increase over 3.2% EVs total prior year March (pre Tesla sales in Norway).

update: perhaps a Norwegian speaker could give a more accurate translation, but this is from google translate of the article from the second link in Yggdrasill's post:

"Sales manager at Tesla Motors, Kjell-Arne Wold, naturally enough very happy with the numbers.

- Many of the cars have been delivered in March, orders that have been built, he can tell, but continues: - sales rate remains steady and the majority of the cars are running sales, as we deal thanks to a larger organization."

(my bolding)

if this 1,500/month is even close to the run rate of ongoing sales in Norway, Norway alone is running close to current total North American sales. Given Tesla's roughly 600 vehicle/week production rate currently, Norway and North America alone would be more demand than they can supply for the next few months until production increases. Only downside I see, I guess we are likely to see stories in the next few months FUDing that sales are down in either the U.S. or Norway, as Tesla simply cannot meet demand in both if 1,500 cars is truly underlying demand in Norway.

Last edited:
Thanks Yggdrasill.

fwiw, EVs excluding Tesla at 9.5% for March 2014 an impressive increase over 3.2% EVs total prior year March (pre Tesla sales in Norway).

update: perhaps a Norwegian speaker could give a more accurate translation, but this is from google translate of the article from the second link in Yggdrasill's post:

"Sales manager at Tesla Motors, Kjell-Arne Wold, naturally enough very happy with the numbers.

- Many of the cars have been delivered in March, orders that have been built, he can tell, but continues: - sales rate remains steady and the majority of the cars are running sales, as we deal thanks to a larger organization."

(my bolding)

if this 1,500/month is even close to the run rate of ongoing sales in Norway, Norway alone is running close to current total North American sales. Given Tesla's roughly 600 vehicle/week production rate currently, Norway and North America alone would be more demand than they can supply for the next few months until production increases. Only downside I see, I guess we are likely to see stories in the next few months FUDing that sales are down in either the U.S. or Norway, as Tesla simply cannot meet demand in both if 1,500 cars is truly underlying demand in Norway.

It's ambigous and hard to interpret actually. In no certain way does he state that they are averaging 1500 reservations/month.

I interpreted that part as some of the orders are "old" sales. And I know many people that could have the car delivered before christmas or in january elected delayed delivery until the snow is gone and they can really use the car.
I suppose you can split the sales in march into two groups those sold with fixed outside mirrors and those with folding mirrors (i.e. new orders with new prices and new specs.). My guess would be 500-1000 of these 1500 are of the new variant with folding mirrors and that probably represents a realistic steady state sale for Tesla Norway. Though due to shipping and batching at the factory those 500/month will probably still end up "clumping" at the edge of a quarter later this year as well.

Cobos

My shot at a translation retaining most of the nuance:

"A lot of the cars delivered in March are earlier orders, he can reveal, but continues: - The rate of sales is steady and the majority of the cars are running sales, which we can handle thanks to the larger organisation."

I interpret this to mean that a lot of the sales are old, but the average rate of new orders remains fairly stable at a given plateau. If you average Q4/Q1 numbers through to the end of the year, that would mean around 7000 sales in Norway in 2014. This is at the high end of what Norwegian Tesla fans believe possible, but culd very well be close to the truth.

Takk for the nuanced native translations!

It does seem like "majority of the cars are running sales" is at least suggestive that current demand is over 7,000. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to extrapolate as if every word from a Tesla employee were uttered with machine like calibration (as far as I know that's just an Elon thing), but I think there's at least a reasonable possibility that "majority" is accurate, and this would suggest over 750 cars per month, i.e., 9K+ per year.

We seem to have a really excellent Swedish Tesla Forum. And according to them, these are the Tesla Model S sales in Sweden so far:

MonthNew registrationsTotal
2013 October88
2013 November210
2013 December616
2014 January521
2014 February324
2014 March2650
Source (in Swedish): Antal sålda bilar - Tesla Club Sweden

According to the same source there are 8 Tesla Roadsters in Sweden.

And here’s a comparison to some other brands and car model sales in Sweden in March '14: Alfa Romeo (22), SAAB (6), BMW i3 BEV (14), Volkswagen E-Up (22) and Nissan Leaf (38).

Source (in Swedish): 26 nya Tesla Model S i Mars! - Tesla Club Sweden

Update:

Some more sales figures from March '14 in Sweden for comparison: Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (144), Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid (87), Toyota PiP (45), BMW I3 REX (24), Opel Ampera & Chevy Volt (0).

Source: http://www.bilsweden.se/storage/cms/50543d33a04340a9a1f0969e0e5750a2/02eebf3b857d4eb7891cfc867b1ddcf3/pdf/8/PressRel1403II.pdf?MediaArchive_ForceDownload=true&PropertyName=File1&ValueIndex=0

(Note: This URL automatically downloads a PDF-file with sales figures compiled by BIL Sweden who represents manufacturers and importers of cars, trucks and buses in Sweden.)

Last edited:
Just walked home and saw 2 (!) Model S for the first time in my little home town of Aachen :). One red P85 (even with a local license plate) was parked at a public charging point and I showed it to a friend, while we were standing there quite a few other people noticed the car and stopped. Just a few minutes later another black one from the Netherlands came out of the street I live in. Cool! I think I got a crush :love:...

Interesting numbers: An analysis of the German "Zentrum für Sonnenenergie-Wasserstoff-Forschung Baden-Würtenberg" (Research Center for Solar and Hydrogen of Baden-Würtenberg) says: The worldwide sales of electric vehicles have doubled in 2013 to approx. 400'000 vehicles. Biggest demand is the USA, Japan, China. Germany is on seventh place with 17'500 vehicles. (source:ZSW: Weltweit über 400.000 Elektroautos unterwegs). They conclude, that one of the main reasons for the strong demand are the incentives in the respective countries (no wonder).

My conclusion is, that even in countries with no or very little incentive, the numbers of EV's are rising fast. The myth of low demand in Germany has more to do with sky high expectations, than anything else. Give it time...

There were 13 Tesla Model S registered in Finland in Q1/2014. This made Tesla the 30th most registered car maker. Porsche was at 29th place with 17 cars, and Tesla dropped Jaguar out of the top 30.

The first place went to Skoda, with 2869 new cars registered.

Interesting numbers: An analysis of the German "Zentrum für Sonnenenergie-Wasserstoff-Forschung Baden-Würtenberg" (Research Center for Solar and Hydrogen of Baden-Würtenberg) says: The worldwide sales of electric vehicles have doubled in 2013 to approx. 400'000 vehicles. Biggest demand is the USA, Japan, China. Germany is on seventh place with 17'500 vehicles. (source:ZSW: Weltweit über 400.000 Elektroautos unterwegs). They conclude, that one of the main reasons for the strong demand are the incentives in the respective countries (no wonder).

My conclusion is, that even in countries with no or very little incentive, the numbers of EV's are rising fast. The myth of low demand in Germany has more to do with sky high expectations, than anything else. Give it time...

Well, reading the source material I would like to add that this isn't talking about EVs only (as the numbers clearly contradict what we know about EV sales for example in Germany). This blindly adds together PHEVs and EVs. GM is in second place in this statistic based on its Volt/Ampera sales.

I wish there were similar data on pure EVs.

Let's talk about demand... Estonia is a tiny country, one of the poorest of EU, but we've been progressive and have quite a good EV infrastructure and subsidy from CO2 sales to Mitsubishi a couple of years ago. Tesla has sold 5 cars here that are already here and probably many more on the way. So due to interest they decided to do a test-drive weekend here. So on Saturday morning at 11AM they sent out to everyone who'd shown interest in Tesla an e-mail inviting to the event and asked me to disseminate it on the Facebook fanclub of Estonia as well (~2400 members). By today morning I got an e-mail from Tesla that I should disseminate that people should stop registering as they are multiple times overbooked :) Within 48h of a weekend over 330 people had registered to the event. In every communication it was clearly stated that due to limited slots the event is for potential customers only.

And that's a small country outside core markets with no Tesla sales, no Tesla service and no superchargers within 1000km showing in Winter 2014 map. Now contemplate what that means for the other, bigger countries with Tesla presence. In any case, Tesla was really surprised by the huge huge interest and are contemplating addon events here :)

Let's talk about demand... Estonia is a tiny country, one of the poorest of EU, but we've been progressive and have quite a good EV infrastructure and subsidy from CO2 sales to Mitsubishi a couple of years ago. Tesla has sold 5 cars here that are already here and probably many more on the way. So due to interest they decided to do a test-drive weekend here. So on Saturday morning at 11AM they sent out to everyone who'd shown interest in Tesla an e-mail inviting to the event and asked me to disseminate it on the Facebook fanclub of Estonia as well (~2400 members). By today morning I got an e-mail from Tesla that I should disseminate that people should stop registering as they are multiple times overbooked :) Within 48h of a weekend over 330 people had registered to the event. In every communication it was clearly stated that due to limited slots the event is for potential customers only.

And that's a small country outside core markets with no Tesla sales, no Tesla service and no superchargers within 1000km showing in Winter 2014 map. Now contemplate what that means for the other, bigger countries with Tesla presence. In any case, Tesla was really surprised by the huge huge interest and are contemplating addon events here :)

That's awesome to hear. Test drive events are a great bang for Tesla's buck and are exceedingly effective. Can you update us later on how many people were able to test drive at the event?

While most people on this thread appear to be pessimistic on Europe sales in the next couple years, I'm thinking sales will pick up as more service centers, stores and superchargers open up this later this year.

While there are notable challenges as discussed in this thread, Tesla has already secured their European "beachhead" in Norway that will allow them to spread into other European countries.

Service Centers in Europe
19 currently
23 coming soon

Stores in Europe
28 currently
18 coming soon

Superchargers in Europe
14 currently
? coming soon (my guess is that Tesla opens 20-40 new superchargers this year in Europe)

For those who haven't seen this yet, here's a video of Tesla's Scandinavian director sharing about Europe. He notes (at around 14:30) that 6000 cars have been delivered to Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is also a Model S test-drive event in Helsinki Finland, on the 24th of April. The first Tesla-originated such event here, I believe.

Test Drive Model S in Helsinki | Events | Tesla Motors

It's actually a second such event. The previous one was September 28-29 2013 and I got the invitation to join then too. The Tallinn event is straight after the Helsinki one (they travel to Tallinn on 25th and the test drives are on 26-27). I'd have to say, the empirical evidence that they created the second Helsinki event as a single day event suggests that demand in Helsinki region is low? The Tallinn event overwhelmed they scheduling multiple times over so likely they will shortly create another event to accommodate those who couldn't get a drive in the first, but six months later and only one day seems like Finns are a bit cold on this front oddly...