Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A quick youtube video I recorded this morning at Tesla Motors Drammen, they are going for a new daily record in deliveries and a new monthly record ever for any car delivered in a month in Norway.:)

..recorded with an iphone, and quick editing. not ready just yet, give it 5 minuts for youtube can process.;-)

Runarbt, this is great! Way to get the "money shot" at the end! (I know, I know, Elon isn't as fond of that phrase as he used to be ;)

ps... GREAT feedback all around from a long list of members. when I have a bit more time, I have a few follow up questions to various posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Runarbt, this is great! Way to get the "money shot" at the end! (I know, I know, Elon isn't as fond of that phrase as he used to be ;)

ps... GREAT feedback all around from a long list of members. when I have a bit more time, I have a few follow up questions to various posts.

Yes.:)
Filming and making the video was fun even though the result is kinda rough, tried to do it quick but ttt..(my wife had to wait with the dinner, so that I could put it up on youtube, not very popular!), but all the positive feedback completely made my day! :-D Thank you everyone.

Yes.:)
Filming and making the video was fun even though the result is kinda rough, tried to do it quick but ttt..(my wife had to wait with the dinner, so that I could put it up on youtube, not very popular!), but all the positive feedback completely made my day! :-D Thank you everyone.

Runarbt, really appreciate your video and first-hand report from Norway. I have a couple of questions:
1. Are those cars just unloaded from truck this morning or it might be carried over from previous days?
2. If you are convenient, a late afternoon video might be more valuable to see how many cars are actually delivered today
3. In Noway, usually what's the delay between car delivery and car registration? I do see some very good registration #, but I suspect it could be underestimated for several days delivery because there could have delay between them.

Thanks again!

As much as I love the news about Norway deliveries (1248 registrations in March so far+155 in Runarbt's video), I am not sure about the implications. Does that mean that deliveries have dropped everywhere else in Europe? If deliveries haven't dropped off in the rest of Europe, then they must have dropped off in North America, and we know that deliveries have been arriving a few days early in North America. The only other implication would be that Tesla ramped up production in "reckless growth" style, which seems unlikely given the low-ball guidance we were given.

Either deliveries in the rest of Europe dropped (which may indicate lack of demand), or Paulos Santos is right about North America, or Tesla will deliver 7000+ cars in the first quarter. Crossing my fingers for the latter.

Last edited:
As much as I love the news about Norway deliveries (1248 registrations in March so far), I am not sure about the implications. Does that mean that deliveries have dropped everywhere else in Europe? If deliveries haven't dropped off in the rest of Europe, then they must have dropped off in North America, and we know that deliveries have been arriving a few days early in North America. The only other implication would be that Tesla ramped up production in "reckless growth" style, which seems unlikely given the low-ball guidance we were given.

Either deliveries in the rest of Europe dropped (which may indicate lack of demand), or Paulos Santos is right about North America, or Tesla will deliver 7000+ cars in the first quarter.

The factory in Fremont is able to make X number of cars in Q1 2014. It doesn't matter where they are sold, the factory can only make X. Tesla can pick and choose which orders to fulfill. They do not choose to fulfill them in order. Tesla also chose Y vehicles to build as right hand drive units. Since it appears that no RHD units have been delivered in Q1, then X - Y = Z total units could have been delivered in Q1 worldwide. Z is very likely greater than the number of orders that Tesla had for Model S's going into the beginning of Q1. Therefore, nothing that Paulo Santos has implied or said about demand is true since Tesla is still production constrained. There is discrepancy in regards to demo units and cancelled units and therefore there is fodder for the bears to pounce upon. Also, delivering lots of units in one place potentially means starving another location. We simply won't know until Tesla reports units, either at or before earnings.

Runarbt, really appreciate your video and first-hand report from Norway. I have a couple of questions:
1. Are those cars just unloaded from truck this morning or it might be carried over from previous days?
2. If you are convenient, a late afternoon video might be more valuable to see how many cars are actually delivered today
3. In Noway, usually what's the delay between car delivery and car registration? I do see some very good registration #, but I suspect it could be underestimated for several days delivery because there could have delay between them.

Thanks again!

1. Not sure. The harbor with the main "car storage" for the entire country is just a couple km away, they only have a short way to go to refill their car lot. I assume they did most of the moving last night to be ready for the push today.
I was told that there was full activity last night at 08:00 PM with deliveries at full speed. I also drove past at 02:00 PM today, and it looked about just as full, only difference was there were 5-6 deliveries being conducted it seemed like.

2. I'll do a late night drive by before I go to bed.:)
3. We have been told lately that there are a 6 month wait. I do think those who get their cars now, placed their order last September or thereabout. Maybe some other Norwegians may help with some hard facts?

Last edited:
1. Not sure. The harbor with the main "car storage" for the entire country is just a couple km away, they only have a short way to go to refill their car lot. I assume they did most of the moving last night to be ready for the push today.
I was told that there was full activity last night at 08:00 PM with deliveries at full speed. I also drove past at 02:00 PM today, and it looked about just as full, only difference was there were 5-6 deliveries being conducted it seemed like.

2. I'll do a late night drive by before I go to bed.:)
3. We have been told lately that there are a 6 month wait. I do think those who get their cars now, placed their order last September or thereabout. Maybe some other Norwegians may help with some hard facts?

Thanks again! Looking forward to seeing your late night report :)

if there's a 6 month wait in Norway, and if 1,000+/month cars reflects ongoing demand rather than filling out the waiting list that's been built up over years this is obviously huge for Tesla. I think Europe as a whole they were thinking roughly 15K/year. I suspect they will focus deliveries to the countries that have best SuperCharging coverage first, so that the best possible customer experience is discussed. So, perhaps, for some of the countries with low registration numbers this is by Tesla's choice rather than reflective of order volume (Germany would not fit into this group as it looks like they've already got SuperCharger coverage).

As much as I love the news about Norway deliveries (1248 registrations in March so far+155 in Runarbt's video), I am not sure about the implications. Does that mean that deliveries have dropped everywhere else in Europe? If deliveries haven't dropped off in the rest of Europe, then they must have dropped off in North America, and we know that deliveries have been arriving a few days early in North America. The only other implication would be that Tesla ramped up production in "reckless growth" style, which seems unlikely given the low-ball guidance we were given.

Either deliveries in the rest of Europe dropped (which may indicate lack of demand), or Paulos Santos is right about North America, or Tesla will deliver 7000+ cars in the first quarter. Crossing my fingers for the latter.

The fact that there are no RHD deliveries yet or China deliveries yet despite both being targeted for end of Q1 tells me demand is very robust in all other markets combined...if Tesla could come close to meeting demand in the other markets combined by now then they would have started delivering to China, UK, Hong Kong, or Japan by now so that their ramped up capacity could be met.

Demand is huge...while a couple countries in Europe may have their demand growing much slower, and while CA is now steadily growing again after the initial backlog of first adopters orders filled the GROSS global demand will remain more than the capacity Tesla can fill...this is also why we may see Model X being delayed. If you have a 'money car' already you can sell more than you can make for quarters to come even with ramping up, then there isn't any rush to introduce that 2nd model (the X).

I didn't get a chance to do any recording, but there were plenty of activity there now at 10 pm. Cars being moved around, I assume preparing for tomorrow. Garages with a lot of activity. Not as many cars there now as earlier today, but still a lot! (100+)
I do assume they have had the car lot refilled during the day, but I guess we will need to get the specific registration number from Drammen before we can say for sure. Guess we will know during tomorrow.

I got to 155 including the 6 on the truck
I'm pretty confident in my number. 134 +/- 2 I would say. (I divided the parking lot into 5 sections, then counted the cars in each section and added together. Less chance of counting cars twice.) The one uncertainty is that Runar never panned right at the start of the video. There were probably a few more there. So, maybe ~140.

I guess the exact number isn't that important - Drammen has reportedly been handing out around 100 cars a day this week, so I would think the number of Model S at the service center will go up and down quite a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't get a chance to do any recording, but there were plenty of activity there now at 10 pm. Cars being moved around, I assume preparing for tomorrow. Garages with a lot of activity. Not as many cars there now as earlier today, but still a lot! (100+)
I do assume they have had the car lot refilled during the day, but I guess we will need to get the specific registration number from Drammen before we can say for sure. Guess we will know during tomorrow.
If we assume they'll deliver 100 tomorrow, 50 saturday and sunday, 100 on monday, and that they have 100 in their parking lot, they should have around 200 cars at the docks. This might be reduced to 100 cars tomorrow, 50 on saturday and 0 on sunday. The inventry at the store however would remain around 100 until sunday, and then go down til zero over the course of monday. Something like this would allow them to completely empty out their inventory by 1. April.

WoW, it'll be for sure to exceed 1500/month, even it can surpass 3 times of last best month (553 in december) -- 1659 without much difficulty.

Assume 1467 is the data as of 03/27 (03/28 data won't come out so soon)
There was 1248 as of 03/26
There was 898 as of 03/24

So delivered 219 beteen 03/26 and 03/27
average daily delivery is 175 between 03/24 and 03/26

If keeps this momentum in the remaining 03/28, 03/31 plus weekend in between, it's possible to see another 400-500 deliveries and even challenge 2000/month milestone.

Amoss is reporting 1467 thus far in the month of march on the Norwegian EV forum.
Still saturday and possible sunday as well as monday left of the month.

Cobos

Last edited:
Ok, so on the topic of subsidies...

Bear in mind we are talking about politicians 1 week before a general election... but it has just been announced in Hungary that the gornment introduces a new program, named after Hungarian electric engineer/inventor Anyos Jedlik, to encourage EV adoption. (Note, until now there were little to no subsidies over here, at most you got a little break in you annual car tax if you had a hybrid.)

Under the new program, you can get a suprisingly high subsidy of HUF 2 million, which is about EUR 6600/USD 8700.

Details (and fine print)) to follow, and I'll be checking how much of this becomes legistlation after the elections... Nevertheless a step into the right direction, especially when you consider we have a 27% VAT and a New Vehicle Registration Fee on top of that.