Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To avoid a massive derail - let me give you the short version. Electric cars and hydrogen cars (not REEVs/EVERs) are exempt from purchase taxes, which usually start at $10-20k for a small car and can run over $100k for something like a BMW M5. Fueling costs for an EV are about a fifth of what it will cost to fuel a frugal diesel car (gas is about $10/USG), and 90% of our electricity comes from clean renewable hydropower. EVs are exempt from toll road fees, and can drive in the bus lanes (saving up to 30 minutes commuting into Oslo). EVs get free parking in all public parking spaces, and free charging at thousands of charge points around the country. EVs also get free ferry rides (for the car, not the driver) and a $400 reduction in the annual car registration fee.

So basically in Norway you buy a Model S unless you are an idiot and if wait too long and the rules change you will want to punch yourself in the face every single day for the rest of your VW golf-driving life.

So basically in Norway you buy a Model S unless you are an idiot and if wait too long and the rules change you will want to punch yourself in the face every single day for the rest of your VW golf-driving life.
Yes. But there is of course still a large segment of the population that can't afford a Model S. Many (if not most) car buyers can only afford used cars, and you can of course buy 6 five-year-old Passats/Octavias/Focus/Avensis/etc for the price of one Tesla.

The goverment has reached a bi-partisan deal with all political parties ensuring that the incentives will remain until 50,000 EVs are on the streets. I would expect this number to be reached by summer 2015. That is not to say that EV number 50,001 won't have any incentives - changes to the incentives will require a political decision, and there are no indications that the government intends to do anything significant regarding the incentives any time soon. In fact, all parties are still in favour of the incentives - although most say that the exact nature of the incentives may need to be revised.

One incentive that is not covered by the bi-partisan deal is the access to bus-lanes. This can be altered at any time, and the impact the congestion of EVs in the bus lanes has on public transportation is heavily criticized from numerous directions. The bus lane access is an important incentive for smaller city-cars, but I would assess the impact on Model S sales to be somewhere between minimal and non-existent. The Model S is for most people the primary car used for picking up groceries, transporting kids, going to from cabins, going on road trips, etc. It's not merely a commuter car, like many of the smaller EVs.

Here in Finland we do not yet have official Tesla presence, but a local premium car importer started to import Tesla Model S late last year.

When I ordered in the middle of January they had about 25 orders. They originally expected to sell around 10 cars this year, and were very surprised by the interest. They have upped their sales goal to 100 cars this year, and the latest information I have (about a week old) is that they have already close to 40 orders.

In Sweden I have heard rumors about something similar although we have official Tesla presence. Reason is that leasing companies need a prober b2b business model (place an order, get the goods, get an invoice, pay in that sequence).

Incentives in Sweden are 40,000 SEK back from the government for environmentally friendly cars (less than 50g CO2/km). Considering the base price for a S85 is 717,000 SEK, this is not much. (1 USD = 6.5 SEK). Also exempt from annual "road tax" but that is only about 2000 SEK ($300) for my current BMW anyway....
Most people simply can't afford a car at that price so there are very few MS.
However, there are good deals to be made if you either own a company or have an employer that lets you lease a car for a gross salary deduction. This is because the benefit tax of a MS is between a quarter and a third of a similarly priced ICE car.
This results in a total monthly leasing cost comparable to a bare minimum Audi A6 or a reasonably equipped Volvo V70 with a small engine.
Why don't more people get that then? Lack of availability of a b2b business model...

A quick youtube video I recorded this morning at Tesla Motors Drammen, they are going for a new daily record in deliveries and a new monthly record ever for any car delivered in a month in Norway.:)

..recorded with an iphone, and quick editing. not ready just yet, give it 5 minuts for youtube can process.;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick youtube video I recorded this morning at Tesla Motors Drammen, they are going for a new daily record in deliveries and a new monthly record ever for any car delivered in a month in Norway.:)

..recorded with an iphone, and quick editing.

Wow ! Thats quite a sight :)

Its ironic that the Tesla store is right next to a Shell petrol station, clearly seen in the video clip.

That video is amazing, by tonight I hope its shared on Seeking Alpha, yahoo finance, the bearish financial analysis & Gov. Christie.
Asked to comment, Gov Christie said "my heart goes out to all those buyers in Norway who bought all these cars without being able to go through a trusted local dealership to protect their interests and be there for them in their hour of need."

..recorded with an iphone, and quick editing. not ready just yet, give it 5 minuts for youtube can process.;-)

this is one of the most joyous videos I have ever watched on YouTube

Just wait an hour before forwarding the link to anyone/tweeting it.
Youtube complained that it was recorded with a unsteady hand, so "they are fixing it" for me. Dont know what the result will be like, might have to upload it again. ;-)

Last edited: