Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Yggdrasill. How does May number compare with Feburary number in Norway?

Never mind. I found it in previous post, it was 431 in Feburary.

Some figures for Norway (April in paranthesis):

Tesla Model S: 371 (171)
Nissan Leaf: 342 (451)
BMW i3: 131 (236)
Other: 502

Total number of electric cars sold: 1346

The electric cars got a 10.9% market share, while it was 10.4% in April.

(More figures will follow - they've only released some of the figures.)

Bloomberg article out this morning had the following comments about Germany:

"It represents the right direction, a paradigm change," said Michael Willberg, chief executive officer of German headphones maker Ultrasone AG. He got a Tesla Model S in February after driving Mercedes and Audi cars for 20 years and has driven from the Munich area to Berlin, Cologne and Dresden. "Tesla is the car of our times."

"Germany's premium automakers feel Tesla's rise more keenly because they're expected to be the biggest innovators," said Juergen Pieper, a Frankfurt-based analyst at Bankhaus Metzler. "Tesla will be able to win over people who'd normally buy a BMW. Even in Germany, people are lining up to test drive" the U.S. carmaker's Model S sedan, the brand's only car."

While the second comment sounds very encouraging, I take it with a grain of salt as I have no idea how reliable this analyst is (my experience of U.S. analysts is some are straight shooters, some are not... though those that are not have thus far only been among the bearish).

Does tesla immediately raise price in Europe with the euro weakening. If not it may hurt margin or they could ship more to china

This can be easily checked in the Tesla MS design studio by selecting various european countries.
But no thry don't. It would be impossible as well since they get paid 4-5 months after confirmation when the price is locked down in local currency.
So instead they do like many other large companies doing international trade. They "insure" their exchange rates to some degree. Some one with better financial vocabulary can probably give the proper woed for it.

Alfred, thanks for posting the link.

It seems that Tesla is selling well due to 'wow' factor.

Swiss sales 2013

Porsche Panamera 232
Tesla 213
Merc S 189
BMW7 163
Audi 8 118
VW Phaeton 15

Swiss sales 2014

Merc S 186
Tesla 149
So Mercedes S class stayed about flat in the two time frames you are comparing (not sure if this is all of 2013 or just the same months), but Tesla dropped more than 25%?
I may be missing your point.

So Mercedes S class stayed about flat in the two time frames you are comparing (not sure if this is all of 2013 or just the same months), but Tesla dropped more than 25%?
I may be missing your point.

No point meant, I just listed the numbers as they are reported in the linked article.

2013 numbers are for the full year. 2014 numbers are up to the date of the article.