Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Sector News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WTI $87/bbl
Brent $90 /bbl
NL TTF gas €35 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

China vulnerable

UK weakness (I lose track of how often UK flip flops on this - and eventually this one too will get flipped at mates rates to the City)

UK total failure - no bid (by my count the UK Conservatives have destroyed UK solar, UK insulation. UK onshore wind, UK offshore wind, UK smallwinf, UK hydro, and are doing a good job of destroying UK heat pumps, and are a long way to destroying UK automotive and UK battery mfg)
and

This is not just a UK issue, and not just a renewables issue
.... and in USA Texas

... hence Texas ERCOT

Mexico weakness

Russia-Iran; and China-Europe bypassing Russia
and

Compare USA (16%) with global (19%) and one can see USA is catching up

Shell, we have a problem

.... and the great carbon credit boondoggle also impacts Shell

More battery types

Inverter factories are an easy build

Boomtime USA

Slow steps USA

Last edited:
This may not be the best location for this comment but here it goes.

There is this company that seems to be selling carbon capture offsets to tech companies, it is called Heirloom Carbon.

I go to their website and it is all rosy with buzz words but light on the technology. I find a link to a white paper and some details…. Then on page 6 in mid paragraph they disclose their energy requirements.

Claims are based on net new low carbon energy sources???

They are essentially making lime (requires limestone plus 900 degree heating) which creates lots of CO2 which they bury etc. This is well understood with the problem of the huge energy required to deliver the 900 degrees of heat up front.

lime will absorb atmospheric CO2 and return to limestone naturally over about 100 years. This is old news. This is the benefit of hempcrete as a building material which actually is net carbon negative.

It seems the “net new low carbon energy sources“ required to drive this scam? could be much better used to just replace fossil fuels In the first place. Stop making CO2 then you don’t have to bury it later on.

This smells a lot like a fossil fuel scam. It seems a horrible deceit. Just convert to sustainable energy sources and stop burning fossil fuels. My opinion of course.

Global problems

UK problems (and suddenly everyone is an expert)
and

Reactions: fhteagle
WTI $87/bbl
Brent $91 /bbl
NL TTF gas €36 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

EU gas storage @ 94% full

EU CBAM is a coming ...

... so expect more carbon pricing

Rail/etc corridors

Piraeus cut off (but not I think Thessaloniki)

Cons blink, taxpayer bribes disbursed to BMW Oxford, no battery announcement (I think EU CATL planned)

Lawfare

Small is beautiful

Wreckage of missing UK offshore bids leaves scant solar pickings

WTI $87/bbl
Brent $91 /bbl
NL TTF gas €35 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Lithium batteries averaging below $100/kWh

(I've checked my own database and I had projected this $100 transition for end-2022, with a end-2023 price projection of approx $80/kWh and approx 2.5 TWh cumulative deployment. It seems that market factors (i.e. demand) are pushing prices above trend at present)

1694513537713.png

1694513592213.png

On the subject of forecasts the IEA are now proclaiming peak fossils this decade

(personally I forecast 2026 for peak fossils, maybe 2025, though it is a gentle plateau so could shift either direction by a few years depending on happenstance)
1694514125695.png

But propping up fossils remains a World Bank thing

It really shouldn't be necessary to write this stuff but the fossil FUD is strong
from

Tata for solar in India

Grid congestion action
and

Dogger Bank installs are go

Hostages

It really shouldn't be necessary to write this stuff but the fossil FUD is strong
from

I watch Electric Vehicle Man on YouTube and his story of getting a heat pump and the varying quotes he got for the work implies a huge mis-selling problem.

Last edited:
I watch Electric Vehicle Man on YouTube and his story of getting a heat pump and the varying quotes he got for the work implies a huge mis-selling problem.
Mis-selling is a real issue in this segment.

I got quotes for fitting an ASHP at my GF's rather large pile, in the UK. The quote pack I issued the various contractors included dimensioned building plans for all rooms; existing 45kW oil boiler model/etc situation; existing insulation package listings for all rooms/roofs/etc; my heat loss calculations (using a standardised MCS format); and notes re the existing wet loop radiators/etc; and full electrical supply considerations. You couldn't have asked for a better quote request pack.

The quotes I received in response varied from £10,600 inc VAT to £25,000 inc VAT for supply & install. The sizing varied from 14kW to 28kW. One lot wanted £5,000 just to do a site survey and indicated that they had in mind 40kW and £40,000. (This would also have required a new electrical supply). Another lot said it was impossible to do an ASHP for such a large property.

My calculations were that the 14kW solution was correctly sized and was the one we selected, and was also the cheapest price. It has worked absolutely fine and is performing exactly as anticipated.

I have since come across clients of some of the other more expensive companies, who are paying to rip out the disastrous systems in their properties.

It is an absolute scandal what is going on out there.

Mis-selling is a real issue in this segment.

I got quotes for fitting an ASHP at my GF's rather large pile, in the UK. The quote pack I issued the various contractors included dimensioned building plans for all rooms; existing 45kW oil boiler model/etc situation; existing insulation package listings for all rooms/roofs/etc; my heat loss calculations (using a standardised MCS format); and notes re the existing wet loop radiators/etc; and full electrical supply considerations. You couldn't have asked for a better quote request pack.

The quotes I received in response varied from £10,600 inc VAT to £25,000 inc VAT for supply & install. The sizing varied from 14kW to 28kW. One lot wanted £5,000 just to do a site survey and indicated that they had in mind 40kW and £40,000. (This would also have required a new electrical supply). Another lot said it was impossible to do an ASHP for such a large property.

My calculations were that the 14kW solution was correctly sized and was the one we selected, and was also the cheapest price. It has worked absolutely fine and is performing exactly as anticipated.

I have since come across clients of some of the other more expensive companies, who are paying to rip out the disastrous systems in their properties.

It is an absolute scandal what is going on out there.
Going to approach my parish about “when are we going to eliminate our carbon footprint?” in the next while.

If the idea goes anywhere, I would think the next six months would be simply gathering raw data before contemplating any available solutions.

Going to approach my parish about “when are we going to eliminate our carbon footprint?” in the next while.

If the idea goes anywhere, I would think the next six months would be simply gathering raw data before contemplating any available solutions.
In very rough terms the carbon footprint for any western/industrialised economy splits three ways:
- 1/3 transport;
- 1/3 heat/cold/cook;
- 1/3 everything else.
The same holds true at parish scale as at country scale.

It is always easier to raise such a proposal if one has previously identified at least one viable pathway. That way during the information-gathering period one can be fairly confident that things won't head down a 'too-difficult' dead-end that is ultimately counterproductive. The middle third (heat/cool/cook) is often the hardest to tackle (the last third tends to come along naturally as a result of tackling the top two).

Therefore my advice is to get hold of a standard building heat modelling spreadsheet and work through the solution pathways that address the (several?) most common building archetypes in your parish. That way you will have a handle on how tractable your parish's issues are before you go public.

I can offer a public-domain heat modelling spreadsheet that is valid for the UK (it comes from MCS, I didn't write it*) but unfortunately the environmental data in it is UK-specific and it doesn't contain the weather profiles for Canada, and regrettably those pages are locked so it is difficult to hack it to include Canada. You will need something similar for Canada that is accepted (i.e. as being a valid engineering tool) and it would be best if it was freeware rather than require a licence fee, as that way many fellow parishioners can explore their own building issues. (One can adapt the MCS one with a bit of thought to cater for everything through to Passivhaus with MHRV, and it also gives helpful comparisons for other sources such as oil burners, direct electric, etc. I have also added in a basic solar, vehicles, and storage calculator - email me if you want a copy).

I don't know if such a thing exists in Canada. Maybe you already know where to go (in which case tell us). Otherwise you might want to ask around some of the institutions/etc that are mentioned in this PEI/WeiCan link set as towhether they can point you in the right direction. See Government / Research Institutions / Associations - Wind Energy Institute of Canada .

* all credit to John Holden etc, see MCS Launch New & Improved Heat Pump Calculator - MCS

WTI $89/bbl
Brent $92 /bbl

(I really do wonder if there is any point tracking both Brent and WTI these days, given that Brent includes WTI now, and the differential is darn near a constant. Until of course the day when it is not a constant.)

EU marks self

Proof is

Sits vac

Carbon capture boondoggles

FUD strong offshore USA

USA gas LNG strong

China naughty step ( .... maybe)

Standardisation by markets

Hydrogen matters

Big claims in flow battery world

Rail affected by drought

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and iPlug
In very rough terms the carbon footprint for any western/industrialised economy splits three ways:
- 1/3 transport;
- 1/3 heat/cold/cook;
- 1/3 everything else.
The same holds true at parish scale as at country scale.

It is always easier to raise such a proposal if one has previously identified at least one viable pathway. That way during the information-gathering period one can be fairly confident that things won't head down a 'too-difficult' dead-end that is ultimately counterproductive. The middle third (heat/cool/cook) is often the hardest to tackle (the last third tends to come along naturally as a result of tackling the top two).

Therefore my advice is to get hold of a standard building heat modelling spreadsheet and work through the solution pathways that address the (several?) most common building archetypes in your parish. That way you will have a handle on how tractable your parish's issues are before you go public.

I can offer a public-domain heat modelling spreadsheet that is valid for the UK (it comes from MCS, I didn't write it*) but unfortunately the environmental data in it is UK-specific and it doesn't contain the weather profiles for Canada, and regrettably those pages are locked so it is difficult to hack it to include Canada. You will need something similar for Canada that is accepted (i.e. as being a valid engineering tool) and it would be best if it was freeware rather than require a licence fee, as that way many fellow parishioners can explore their own building issues. (One can adapt the MCS one with a bit of thought to cater for everything through to Passivhaus with MHRV, and it also gives helpful comparisons for other sources such as oil burners, direct electric, etc. I have also added in a basic solar, vehicles, and storage calculator - email me if you want a copy).

I don't know if such a thing exists in Canada. Maybe you already know where to go (in which case tell us). Otherwise you might want to ask around some of the institutions/etc that are mentioned in this PEI/WeiCan link set as towhether they can point you in the right direction. See Government / Research Institutions / Associations - Wind Energy Institute of Canada .

* all credit to John Holden etc, see MCS Launch New & Improved Heat Pump Calculator - MCS
Thanks for the guidance; I will definitely offer some sort of solution when the topic gets broached.

My quick search has found some Canada specific items, from the Natural Resources Canada page:

Reactions: petit_bateau

@navguy12

one thing you could do is use PV Watts (v6.2 or so)
say if you wished you were in Sherbrooke Ont. now, and had a 10Kw system, you would get around ~11,500 kwh/yr
and PV watts is _free_ , so shed no tears quite easy to use (maybe a bit off in directions))

IF you want to get way deeper, also free, is "System Advisor Model" (SAM) that you can specify inverters, PV panels, azimuth, tilt, local electric rates with or without batteries, very detailed (and a bit of a steep learning curve)

@navguy12

say if you wished you were in Sherbrooke Ont. now, and had a 10Kw system, you would get around ~11,500 kwh/yr
and PV watts is _free_ , so shed no tears quite easy to use (maybe a bit off in directions))

IF you want to get way deeper, also free, is "System Advisor Model" (SAM) that you can specify inverters, PV panels, azimuth, tilt, local electric rates with or without batteries, very detailed (and a bit of a steep learning curve)

@winfield100 thanks.

As of the EIA update today for the week ending 9/8/2023, the U.S. is now up to 12.9 million barrels per day (bpd) of field crude oil production. So we are seeing some U.S. production elasticity in the face of OPEC+ market manipulation with their supply cuts:

Nearly up to the pre-COVID peak of 13.1 million bpd:

1694631529202.png

Weekly U.S. Field Production of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day)

@navguy12

The real issue in Ontario is reducing winter demand, which in turn means the ability to model varying amounts of insulation in the typical buildings in the area is the greatest need (imho). Figuring out how much solar for the summertime in Ontario is the easy bit. Knowing how far to push housing upgrade projects is quite a difficult area (imho).

Reactions: navguy12
WTI $89/bbl
Brent $92 /bbl

EU China EV spat stuff, good write up
and

... and recovering from that will be expensive

.... and the effects are never-ending

Tesla Powerwall 3 (but when will it be available outside USA/Can ?)

8MW TLP floater reality

Ukraine self-sufficient for 2023/24 gas heat season, storage indicates bidirectional lines with EU