Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Sector News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An excellent example of regulatory capture. From the article:

The government spoke with about 200 people before deciding to pause applications, Mr. Neudorf said, including landowners, stakeholder groups, consumer advocates and power providers that rely heavily on natural gas.
But the Canadian Renewable Energy Association – the main group that advocates for wind, solar and energy storage solutions around the country – only found out after the government made its decision public.

The O&G apologists comments in the comments section are breathtaking, especially when there are 100s of “orphaned (oil) wells“ quietly polluting the Alberta countryside.

WTI $79/bbl
Brent $83 /bbl
NL TTF gas €29 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Sanctions at work

Hope at work

More hope : global data for H1-2023 show EV now at 19% so not far away from the full year 21% the S-curve [that I get a best-fit with] predicted, and still 6-months to run (13% BEV, 6% PHEV) ... so up from 13% in 2022
also
and

One island at a time
and

Eskom woes drive solar installs

Energetic foundations ?

Deep water floaters >200m

Aviation liquids
Having just driven through US corn country where everyone drives pickups and big SUV’s (not cross overs) and passing Ethanol plants and endless corn fields, it’s clear that EV’s are seen as bad for their economy. If Ethanol can be blended with aviation fuel for long haul heavy aircraft (which are not viable for batteries), then maybe more EVs would be accepted in these areas as Ethanol for light vehicles declines. Assumes Ethanol is actually less co2.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Assumes Ethanol is actually less co2.
It is a tough call that one.

Especially when, as nat-gas based fertilisers get withdrawn, the natural consequence is that foodcrops become less prolific & abundant.

So ultimately it becomes a competition: maize into a rich person's Gulfstream fuel tank, or a poor person's cornbread staple diet.

Which is the implied sum in carbon pricing.

(I don't have an answer - this is not really my area - but I get the shorter and longer term issues you raise).

Reactions: navguy12
WTI $82/bbl
Brent $85 /bbl
NL TTF gas €29 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Norway has replaced Russia as one of the biggest sources of natural gas imports in the European Union, accounting for around 25%. However, demand remains below average despite the recent heat waves. During the first half of the year, natural gas use declined 18% for power generation, fell 13% in the industrial sector and dropped 5% in the residential and commercial sector, according to the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies. At the same time, gas storage sites in Europe are at around 85% of capacity, remaining elevated for this time of the year

Heatwaves in southern cone

Energy wars

Fusion USA

Talking DAC

UK EV pollitics

Chinese solar juggernaut

Greek solar

To waive or not ?

Actual real turbines offshore USA

Mind those turbine losses

Ukraine rail

WTI $80/bbl
Brent $83 /bbl
NL TTF gas €30 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

ZNPP - no explosives seen

Cherenkov

Curtailment

Antarctic weather

China coal

US generation adds

Ukraine grain

Curtailment
This situation frustrates me to no end; it is just one example where the fossil fuel interests keep hobbling the switch to renewables.

They are an island and, in 2023, still planning to build out gas fired thermal plants for commissioning in 2028 instead of installing batteries between now and then.

WTI $83/bbl
Brent $86 /bbl
NL TTF gas €34 (up from €30) /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

European natural gas futures jumped over 8% to more than €33 per megawatt-hour, the highest in two weeks driven by concerns about dwindling LNG flows, which outweighed the fact that gas storage is at record levels. Gas flows into a major US export terminal dropped on Tuesday, suggesting a possible outage. Also, there's a risk that supply will be redirected to Asia in September, October, and November due to higher prices and there might be less LNG available this month. However, in Europe, fuel reserves are more than 87% full, the highest ever for this time of year. The European Union wants them to be 90% full by November, and many countries, like Spain and the Netherlands, have already met or exceeded this goal. Germany and Italy are almost there. France is at 78% because they had problems with energy supplies during strikes earlier this year. (see also JohnKempReuters chartbook below)

The irony, fossils now think CCS won't work / are too expensive

China deflation

July conflagration

Oops, ice all going, gone

Another one under-predicting install rates, France

JohnKempReuters gas stocks chartbook

1691577796015.png

Dreadful fossils

Another one under-predicting install rates, France
The article mentioned wasteland and rooftops, but didn't say how much on parking lots. ;)

WTI $83/bbl
Brent $86 /bbl
NL TTF gas €37 (up again) /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Private jets

Hawaii burning

US-China
and

China storage

Wedge issues

Budapest bypass

WTI $82/bbl
Brent $85 /bbl
NL TTF gas €36 (up again) /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Wedge politics
and
and
and

They spend decades telling everyone the delay is to allow carbon capture and hydrogen, do nothing, then cry

Standby for greenwash in Saudi

Good Brazil

WTI $82/bbl
Brent $85 /bbl
NL TTF gas €36 (up again) /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Wedge politics
and
and
and

They spend decades telling everyone the delay is to allow carbon capture and hydrogen, do nothing, then cry

Standby for greenwash in Saudi

Good Brazil
I think much of the political pushback is being fed by a fossil industry recognizing they will be replaced with a viable alternative and thus are really pushing all sorts of political agendas (including the moratorium on new renewable builds in Alberta).

Even this article in yesterdays America, the Jesuit Review, has a feel to it (that I wanted to comment on) of more fossil industry soft FUD talking points about how the shift to renewables is just too difficult (read it and draw your own conclusions):

Reactions: nativewolf
Wedge politics

I think it's noisy backbenchers more than anything joining a media clickbait frenzy. (The mistake with the diesel car that was written off by flooding was comical, sad and infuriating).

It's 2023, not 2030, and in 2030 new PHEVs will still be allowed. And then from 2035(?) you'd still be able to buy a used ICEVs or keep driving your own.

As far as I am aware, charger installation is actually now happening relatively rapidly in the UK with even former charging deserts like Wales getting noticeably better coverage.

Give it a few years and I think a price drop in EVs, combined with the improved coverage and reliability (even if it's just because of the Tesla monster), will calm things down. But it might not come early enough for the next election.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
FORM Energy has an agreement for a 10MW/1GWH iron air battery in Minnesota. They also recon levelised cost and cycle life will be substantially better than Li batteries once they scale up. Interesting if they can actually make a stationary storage solution work from just iron/air - It's hard to think of cheaper materials.

Details in the "Just have a think" video below.

Separately - I'm 50/50 on whether this channel is @petit_bateau's side hussle.

High quality silicon insulator:-

Building insulation. Our aerogel particles are used as high-performance insulation additives in composite insulation boards and plasters, as well as stand-alone blown-in or poured-in insulation for cavity fill applications.
Architectural daylighting. Translucent LUMIRA® aerogel for fill into polycarbonate, glass and composite glazing units virtually eliminates the concept of a “weak link” in a building’s envelope while illuminating interiors with high quality natural daylight.
Tensile roofing. LUMIRA aerogel enables an unparalleled mix of energy efficiency, natural daylighting and acoustic control in large span architectural tensile structures.

Reinforcing composites​

Fumed silica delivers powerful advantages to fiber-reinforced composite developers in resin flow, fiber wetting, sag resistance and anti-settling. Our hydrophilic and hydrophobic fumed silica can improve the performance of laminating resins and gel coatings used in the manufacture of fiber reinforced composite products, including polyester and vinyl ester laminating resins and gel coatings.

More Asian floating solar, this time in the Philippines. (8 x 100 hectares is 8km^2; the lake is 911-949km^2)

Too much sun. Overirradiance.

Holy solar panels, Batman!

Back from a week visiting folks and enjoying passivhaus tours and such like.

Various things that caught my eye this morning whilst emptying my inboxes.

Saudi greenwash/etc propaganda/etc
and

Southern data wanted

Meatwash

Carbon credit boondogle gagging clauses

Peak recession

Getting hotter

Read this excellent JohnKempReuters China article closely

Another good JKR catch

Train sense

Eskom woes

SMR reality in China

Chinese solar juggernaut

WTI $82/bbl
Brent $85 /bbl
NL TTF gas €38 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

China wobbles

Hydrogen wobbles

Big wind big money

Money woes