Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon's email: suggests Model X Founder Series options max out at at $25k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's always good to incentivize those that could help boost sales. But, I'm wondering if there has been thought to a real plan for some benefit to those that got the company going. I'm talking about all those people that put orders in blindly back in 2009 after the first prototype was released. Let's face it, Tesla would have had a very difficult time financing a plan for the factory (even though they got it way below cost) as well as tooling the plant if the order book didn't rise beyond 10,000 orders. It was the early adopters that really put this company on the map and allowed for significant growth via word of mouth orders that snowballed because the product was well built. It stands to reason that orders will come if a great product is developed. But, in a situation where no product existed between 2009-2011, faith from early adopters during those years was huge key in the success of Tesla. I think it would be a great gesture for Tesla to acknowledge that in some significant way.

It's always good to incentivize those that could help boost sales. But, I'm wondering if there has been thought to a real plan for some benefit to those that got the company going. I'm talking about all those people that put orders in blindly back in 2009 after the first prototype was released. Let's face it, Tesla would have had a very difficult time financing a plan for the factory (even though they got it way below cost) as well as tooling the plant if the order book didn't rise beyond 10,000 orders. It was the early adopters that really put this company on the map and allowed for significant growth via word of mouth orders that snowballed because the product was well built. It stands to reason that orders will come if a great product is developed. But, in a situation where no product existed between 2009-2011, faith from early adopters during those years was huge key in the success of Tesla. I think it would be a great gesture for Tesla to acknowledge that in some significant way.

First I thought, 'Oh cool! Someone is remembering the Roadster owners.' And then I kept reading your post and became totally confused by your statement that no product existed between 2009-2011. I'm pretty sure I placed an order for a Roadster in 2010 and took delivery in 2011. And that product is sitting in my garage right now ...

Mods, could you change the thread title to reflect that it is Founders series that appear to have options maxxing out at $25K?

Obviously a Founders will be more fully loaded than production. The way this currently reads, it sounds like people are saying that options for a production X will max out at $25k ...

Mods, could you change the thread title to reflect that it is Founders series that appear to have options maxxing out at $25K?

Obviously a Founders will be more fully loaded than production. The way this currently reads, it sounds like people are saying that options for a production X will max out at $25k ...
Apologies if this contributes to the confusion, but I read it somewhat differently. That said, you're right -- as usual, it's not clear exactly what Elon is saying w/r/t pricing of options available given the multiple ways of interpreting his statement.

LOL. Nigel is sending emails with salmon in them hinting on something I think. You too...

Anyone got a flux capacitor I may borrow to go undo this? :p

<*))))>< Mmmmm

Wanna do a second bet at double the first?I say they make <50 non-customer cars for use in 2015 and the rest of production is for paying customers. Game on?

<*))))>< + <*))))><

First Rule: Never bet against Bonnie. Met her at TesLive when gentleman stated something stupid about Tesla and women owners. It was ugly.

Ahhh, good times. :) Elon's response was classic. "What do you think about women owners?".... "Ummm, I like women."

I had Leilani on one side saying, 'Oh HELLLLL no!' and Talulah on the other with a 'He didn't!' & I figured it was better that I get up and shut it down than either of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Do release candidate cars count for the <50? Or are you talking final production cars that are loaners, test drive vehicles, etc.

Production vehicles: suitable for sale, test drives, or to place on the floor in stores (since so many are sure that's happening first).

Production vehicles: suitable for sale, test drives, or to place on the floor in stores (since so many are sure that's happening first).

I think it depends on whether Tesla is struggling to deliver 55k total vehicles in 2015. If it looks like they are going to deliver say 45k total Model S and they need 10k Model X to meet 2015 guidance, then yes I could see having less than 50 Model X being held back for test drives, etc. Elon did say he thought Q4 Model X deliveries would be about equal to Q4 Model S deliveries at the shareholder meeting.

Perhaps some of the hundreds of release candidate vehicles that Elon said they will make will be available for test rides and placed on the floor in stores.

Ahhh, good times. :) Elon's response was classic. "What do you think about women owners?".... "Ummm, I like women."

I had Leilani on one side saying, 'Oh HELLLLL no!' and Talulah on the other with a 'He didn't!' & I figured it was better that I get up and shut it down than either of them.

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't remember the exact quote, but I knew I laughed out loud! Great times Bonnie.