Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you implying that the remaining H1B employees aren’t good or excellent workers? That there just leftovers?

Because I can make a pretty good argument for them. They’ve left their homelands, left behind family and friends to come to the US to work, to build a life, some may even be wanting to become full time US residents and eventually citizens. They had to possess skills equal to or greater than other US engineers for Twitter to go to the legal and relocation hassle and expenses.
Yes. Those engineers from overseas. Like Elon was. Everyone in this country with the exception of its indigenous inhabitants, who came from somewhere else. That's what makes this country so great. And let's not forget the courage it takes to venture off to a new country.

I guarantee that Elon is doing this mainly for the mDAUs - that seems to be the one KPI that he keeps on bragging about, and for sure, this is another announcement that will drive people to Twitter to catch a glimpse of the dumpster fire.

I still think it's a mistake, but it's not surprising.

Also, as I previously mentioned, I will actually be surprised if Trump actually comes back. Maybe he comes back at some point in the future, but I don't think he wants to be seen coming back due to Elon who has bashed him on occasion. His ego is too big.

I still can't figure out why he thinks 24-hour Twitter polls are of any actual value or represent the "will of the people".
other option was to fix the Algo's first ... but i guess they gonna be Agile and just fix the issues as they come, so they are not waiting ....

Reactions: ElectricIAC
It's clear that there are members on the right here on this board that believe in the mission. Great. The problem is that the vast majority of their political persuasion are not only not supporting the mission they are openly against everything the mission stands for.

FYI, I wasn't talking about politics. Nor conspiracy theories!

Just that if you sampled where most people get their info (especially over 30 years of age), it's almost all negative Tesla.

Regardless of Elon's latest political leanings, I still think he'll end up creating a more factual (or at least, fact checked) system, with more real people and a lot less bots, thereby something closer to the truth than what we currently have.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
What company? One with ties to Hitler that has also killed millions by cheating on emissions?
Killing millions by cheating on emissions? Trumpian hyperbole in action?
How do you believe Musk's father made his fortune in Apartheid South Africa? All nice and cuddly, eh?
I sure hope you don't use any airline that uses Boeing planes, a company that made money with products that dropped Napalm on Vietnamese villages and built planes that rammed into the ground, as stock buybacks were more important than investment into safe products.

Tesla is fine and will continue to be fine, stop this.
I truly hope you are right. But at the moment the CEO has been making impulsive decisions he's had to backtrack (because they were irrational) and has made commitments he's almost immediately backed out of. Your best defense has been that maybe there's an oversight committee somewhere no one knows about.

Really, that's a stretch.

I think you have blinders on, my friend.

Sure, we will all have to wait and see what happens, but I am not going to ignore what's right in front of me, either.

Elon also promised to make no major changes until he got the independent conduct board up and running... which sure now looks like a partisan lie.
A little history lesson for those who don't have a good memory.

Twitter and Facebook pre 2016: The Algorithms promoted anything and everything that drives engagement to bolster advertising dollars. This led to many of the most heinous Trump tweets, racist Tweets, and hate speech getting promoted by the algorithm. Much of Trumps most viral posts were driven by the algorithms like wildfire. Lots of research suggests "recommendations" by Twitter, YouTube, and FaceBook were a huge part of the radicalization of the right and the rise of Trump.

Twitter "The Cancel Culture Era" ~2016-present day: Rather than admit that their algorithms were a huge part of the problem, Twitter just decided the best way to "Fix" their problem with hate speech going viral was to ban anyone who abused it... and some people and posts which people at Twitter just didn't like. It worked... sort of. But skewed the platform demographics significantly. People can still post abuse, it still gets promoted and goes viral... but then they get banned if they do it too many times. People who want to promote hate are essentially encouraged by the platform to find the fine line between banned and maximum engagement.

Musk Twitter: Rather than ban people who abuse the algorithm, fix the algorithm so it doesn't promote abusive posts. Everyone still gets a voice, but hate speech is demoted. Twitter will not advertise opposite any of these tweets and they are not surfaced in searches. Unless you specifically seek it out, you will never see this content. It is in many ways a soft ban.

Obviously... "Musk Twitter" doesn't exist yet. Equally obvious, many people don't think the algorithm is fixable or just think some people's voices shouldn't be heard at all. Maybe its just a pipe dream and it will never happen. I'm certainly not a prophet and some problems are untenable. But Twitter, Facebook, and Google haven't even really attempted to fix it previously because the algorithm drives revenue.

On top of this, Musk expects to deliver:
  • Video content which is a good match because a lot of YouTube content is promoted on Twitter.
  • ECommerce and likely direct sales on Twitter.
  • Avenues for content providers to get paid either directly or through % of advertising.
  • End to end encrypted DMs.
  • Ways for sites to get revenue in exchange for bypassing their paywalls.
Lots of pieces of this puzzle that engineers will find intriguing or want to be a part of.

As a 20 year software engineer/architect I can confidently say this list is not intriguing in any way. This is basic derivative stuff that is already part of other platforms. This isn’t getting anyone talented excited…

Great thing about EMSK, if circumstances change and require a new direction, he won't hesitate to drop former decision.

IN ADDITION, he also made some MAJOR changes to TWITTER's moderation policy some may not be fully aware of. These changes were good enough for him to delete his own Tweet after realizing he was wrong.

EMSK.Twitter.Wired.1.jpg

EMSK.Twitter.Wired.2.jpg

Are you implying that the remaining H1B employees aren’t good or excellent workers? That there just leftovers?

Because I can make a pretty good argument for them. They’ve left their homelands, left behind family and friends to come to the US to work, to build a life, some may even be wanting to become full time US residents and eventually citizens. They had to possess skills equal to or greater than other US engineers for Twitter to go to the legal and relocation hassle and expenses.

Yes. Those engineers from overseas. Like Elon was. Everyone in this country with the exception of its indigenous inhabitants, who came from somewhere else. That's what makes this country so great. And let's not forget the courage it takes to venture off to a new country.
No, the implication (and fact backed up by report) is that they are likely not staying completely of their own free will, nor because they are 'hard core' or committed to the vision (whatever that happens to be this hour.) Rather they are staying because they have no other viable choice.
Tesla is fine and [we hope it] will continue to be fine [assuming Elon doen't stay distracted], stop this.
Added a minor clarification for you.

My big concern for Tesla as that the Twitter fiasco is nothing but a huge distraction for Musk. Beyond that, his actions are increasingly irrational. Looking at point B, it may be better for him to be distracted by Twitter but it still isn't encouraging.

Well, now the check mark is meaningless, so that's new, and I'm seeing a lot more extreme misinformation than I used to.

This is confirmation bias. You expect to see more extreme misinformation and then that's what you will see, even if not much has changed. And not much has changed.

There are over half a billion tweets per day. Moderators probably deleted less than a hundred thousand per day (it's humanly impossible for the moderating teams to handle more reports than that). This means one in 5,000 to 10,000 tweets got deleted. Even if moderation went to zero you'd have to read a loooot of tweets to stumble on one that would normally have been deleted.

This is confirmation bias. You expect to see more extreme misinformation and then that's what you will see, even if not much has changed. And not much has changed.

There are over half a billion tweets per day. Moderators probably deleted less than a hundred thousand per day (it's humanly impossible for the moderating teams to handle more reports than that). This means one in 5.000 to 10.000 tweets got deleted. Even if moderation went to zero you'd have to read a loooot of tweets to stumble on one that would normally have been deleted.
Correct, it’s like going in the forest and looking for bears with raw salmon steaks tied around your neck and waist.

No, the implication (and fact backed up by report) is that they are likely not staying completely of their own free will, nor because they are 'hard core' or committed to the vision (whatever that happens to be this hour.) Rather they are staying because they have no other viable choice.
If and until you sit down at the dinner table with these individuals, you have no idea. All the information is secondhand at best, mostly just speculation and made up fairy tales to support one’s anger against the CEO because he’s not playing by your game.

And no, I’m not taking the word of people who’ve quit and think it’s a good and prudent idea to tweet their reasons et al… The irony that they’re tweeting in the first place is next level hilarious. Then, the fact these people think what happens in their life is so important it needs to be broadcasted to the world speaks volumes about them - and not in a way I consider an attractive personality trait. You’d think they were all Kardashians. 🙄

There IS always a CHOICE. ALWAYS. A person doesn’t have to like the choices available to them. The choices may not be easy or particularly pleasant, but they exist.

Last edited:
Dude, you know that was funny. You're response just gave me another chuckle. And yes, I have a 7th grade sense of humor! 😆
Oh, sorry, now I see the Babylon Bee logo on that video. Now I understand why it’s not funny but may be appealing to someone wanting own a lib or something. And why it doesn’t represent the typical Twitter/tech worker but rather some fictional version of one that fits a certain narrative.
thanks much.

Status
Not open for further replies.