Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For humans to have the best chance to survive long-term (thousands of years), we have to be a multi planetary species. It doesn't make sense to put all our eggs in one basket, when a single wayward asteroid, or any number of other events, can destroy all life on earth. It's that simple.
That's seems like a good idea. Before anyone gets too plugged into this idea I would like to point out there is nothing in the bible about man getting wiped out a second time. I do like the idea of new technology from a mission just like what we gained from the moon project. Before everyone gets too excited about the mention of "The bible" notice this. The Wright brothers where given the secrets of flight. You can google their history. Ever wonder how bicycle makers were able to discover something the smartest, most financed people in the world couldn't discover. Wise people seek and receive Gods direction. Sometimes the forum tends to turn into the "Church of Tesla/Elon". Cool stuff but not Salvation.

That's seems like a good idea. Before anyone gets too plugged into this idea I would like to point out there is nothing in the bible about man getting wiped out a second time. I do like the idea of new technology from a mission just like what we gained from the moon project. Before everyone gets too excited about the mention of "The bible" notice this. The Wright brothers where given the secrets of flight. You can google their history. Ever wonder how bicycle makers were able to discover something the smartest, most financed people in the world couldn't discover. Wise people seek and receive Gods direction. Sometimes the forum tends to turn into the "Church of Tesla/Elon". Cool stuff but not Salvation.

Many other people had been working on airplanes. The Wright brothers were helped by the internal combustion engine, they didn't get much flight and their plane was very quickly superseded by better engineering. It really wasn't a bolt from the blue or anything.

Many other people had been working on airplanes. The Wright brothers were helped by the internal combustion engine, they didn't get much flight and their plane was very quickly superseded by better engineering. It really wasn't a bolt from the blue or anything.
Keep in mind all you need is the patented idea. Let everyone else run with it while you collect the royalties. It's a beautiful thing like free money. Once the idea is out of the bag everyone say's "I could have done that". So think up a simple solution to a problem and join the club.

Last edited:
If Elon is so upset with global warning why go to Mars? Isn't Mars a global warming has-been? "Hey guys it's getting too warm here but I can take you to a place where it's totally trashed. No Air, no blue sky, no green grass, no blue water, It's pure red dirt. Please follow me!" Can someone explain the logic with this? I love Elon but would hate for him to end up on Mars making red dirt patties. At least shoot for a place better than earth like heaven.
Others have already answered your question very well. This has been discussed before, of course, in the SpaceX forum. See Mars or Elon's Mars goal a mistake?

As for your comment about "heaven", I assume that was in jest.

There is nothing in the bible about chemistry, any branch of modern physics, molecular biology, and an innumerable other number of topics I can come up just off the top of my head.

All inventions build on previous knowledge, and the Wright Brothers were no exception.

If you limit your thinking to only what is mentioned in the Christian bible, you are going to live a very ignorant life. Elon clearly does not take that approach, nor do many millions of other people, and they are the ones who are advancing the state of human understanding of the universe.

It is clear from the earth's geologic history that large asteroids periodically impact the planet, causing global changes and resulting in the extinction of many species. It will happen again, we just don't know exactly when. Establishing a permanent human population on Mars is a worthwhile objective.

There is nothing in the bible about chemistry, any branch of modern physics, molecular biology, and an innumerable other number of topics I can come up just off the top of my head.

All inventions build on previous knowledge, and the Wright Brothers were no exception.

If you limit your thinking to only what is mentioned in the Christian bible, you are going to live a very ignorant life. Elon clearly does not take that approach, nor do many millions of other people, and they are the ones who are advancing the state of human understanding of the universe.

It is clear from the earth's geologic history that large asteroids periodically impact the planet, causing global changes and resulting in the extinction of many species. It will happen again, we just don't know exactly when. Establishing a permanent human population on Mars is a worthwhile objective.
The Romans thought the same way. The foundation of many things today like Mathematics, Architecture, Astronomy, and Philosophy are from over 2000 years ago. There is nothing new under the Sun. Did you happen to notice their official belief system around 300AD? Your comments would have been seen as foolish to the Roman Emperor. History gets lost then rewritten. Limited thinking will lead to an ignorant direction and death. We can all agree to not limiting our thinking.

The substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen is the answer.

The Romans thought the same way. The foundation of many things today like Mathematics, Architecture, Astronomy, and Philosophy are from over 2000 years ago. There is nothing new under the Sun. Did you happen to notice their official belief system around 300AD? Your comments would have been seen as foolish to the Roman Emperor. History gets lost then rewritten. Limited thinking will lead to an ignorant direction and death. We can all agree to not limiting our thinking.

Your posts come across as incoherent rambling. Perhaps it's because English isn't my native language? However I do suspect it has more to do with the actual content, or lack thereof.

If you would, please explain the meaning of the first post I quoted.

Then please explain the second one when you're at it.

Thank you kindly.

• Funny
Reactions: AndreN and Lex

Very true. An Austrian inventor actually beat the Wright Brothers, but when he ordered his engine from Daimler, he got one that was heavier than what he thought. He tried to get airborne anyway, crashed and was killed. The Wright Brothers basically hit the sweet spot in engine development along with some other innovations they did themselves. One key invention the Wright Brothers had was an almost perfect propeller pitch. An engineer went back and looked at their original propeller design and it was 90% the max efficiency possible which wasn't achieved for another couple of decades.

All inventions are built on top of what went before. The excellent series by James Burke called Connections from the late 1970s shows this and is entertaining to boot. Back to Elon and what he's doing, Tesla couldn't do what it's doing without building on thousands of inventions in just the last decade or so. SpaceX is way ahead of everyone else in rocket design because they are taking advantage of recent advancements in technology that other rocket makers haven't taken advantage of. When Elon started looking at existing rocket designs he found everyone was stuck in the 60s.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and Lex
Can a forum moderator makes "Elon Musk" a sub-section of the forum instead of just a thread hidden under "Tesla Motors"? I am sure that there are a lot of people that wants to discuss about him and under various threads.

For me, I wanted to start a thread about something that he talked about in the conference that is not Tesla or SpaceX related, and thought about posting it here to start. But a thread under a new "Elon Musk" forum sub-section would be a lot easier to manage and organized for people to read and post.

From the Terms and Rules below, bolding mine:

I suggest we get off of that topic and back to Elon.
All I can say is I tried to warn you all about "The church of tesla"

Can anyone dispute that Elon is not trying to gain followers to his belief system with his statements this week. Ever wonder how people behave when they are convinced they live in a computer game. Is this not a leap of faith?

Elon Musk, the well-known entrepreneur behind Tesla and SpaceX, believes there’s a “one-in-billions” chance humanity is not living in a computer simulation.

Elon Musk, SpaceX CEO: 'One-in-billions' chance humans not in ...
Washington Times-19 hours ago

Can anyone dispute that Elon is not trying to gain followers to his belief system with his statements this week. Ever wonder how people behave when they are convinced they live in a computer game. Is this not a leap of faith?

Elon Musk, the well-known entrepreneur behind Tesla and SpaceX, believes there’s a “one-in-billions” chance humanity is not living in a computer simulation.

OK. Stop. This isn't Elon's idea. He was asked if he is familiar with the simulation argument formulated by Swedish modern philosopher Nicklas Boström.

Any person of normal or above normal intelligence who takes 30 minutes of their time to read, follow and understand the argument will be unable to fault it, putting emotional bias aside. Elon's assessment of the probabilies present is completely non-controversial. Yet you don't see him acting in a nihilistic fashion at all, do you? He's hard at work making things better for humanity on many levels.

Are You Living in a Simulation?

What "belief system" are you referring to?

As for the "odds are one in billions that we are not living in base reality" statement (see time 1:15 in the Coden conference interview video) that was based on his postulation that since computer simulations are improving at a rapid rate, at some point in the future virtual reality will be indistinguishable from actual reality. We don't know when that will occur, but it will occur.

By the way, I would not use the word "faith" when discussing Elon's worldview, which is grounded in science and fact. That said, of course he is trying to convince people to adopt his point of view on a variety of topics, whether it is anthropogenic climate change, establishing a human colony on Mars, electric transportation, etc. We all do that when we try to advance our particular viewpoints.

He was asked if he is familiar with the simulation argument formulated by Swedish modern philosopher Nicklas Boström.
I had the pleasure of briefly meeting Boström in Montreal this past December. I also watched him speak about AI and participate in a panel with a number of leading ML researchers. He's an interesting guy, very thoughtful, but he's also a philosopher. That is, he deals with thought experiments more than grounded realities. It's surprising to me on one level that Musk is so taken with him and his ideas since they're pretty abstract. Elon's actions are mostly focused on real results.

I had the pleasure of briefly meeting Boström in Montreal this past December. I also watched him speak about AI and participate in a panel with a number of leading ML researchers. He's an interesting guy, very thoughtful, but he's also a philosopher. That is, he deals with thought experiments more than grounded realities. It's surprising to me on one level that Musk is so taken with him and his ideas since they're pretty abstract. Elon's actions are mostly focused on real results.

Can't fault Boström's simulation argument. Nor his views on existential risk or on the topic of the morals of cognitive enhancement (including but not limited to iterative embryo selection). However Boström's views on the dangers of general AI, as presented in his book "Superintelligence", are seriously flawed. This has been discussed in the AI thread ("Are you work Musk or Hawkins on AI?")

What "belief system" are you referring to?

As for the "odds are one in billions that we are not living in base reality" statement (see time 1:15 in the Coden conference interview video) that was based on his postulation that since computer simulations are improving at a rapid rate, at some point in the future virtual reality will be indistinguishable from actual reality. We don't know when that will occur, but it will occur.

By the way, I would not use the word "faith" when discussing Elon's worldview, which is grounded in science and fact. That said, of course he is trying to convince people to adopt his point of view on a variety of topics, whether it is anthropogenic climate change, establishing a human colony on Mars, electric transportation, etc. We all do that when we try to advance our particular viewpoints.
I would think it takes faith(the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen) to believe you live in a simulation. He made it clear he felt we all live in a simulation but estimates a one in a billion chance he could be wrong. To a degree he is correct by saying will live in an intelligent design by the creator, not a random bang. He believes it's some unknown alien being that has created us and our world as we know it. It seems he's totally anti-big bang. I would like to personally thank you for pointing out "he is trying to convince people to adopt his point of view on a variety of topics, whether it is anthropogenic climate change, establishing a human colony on Mars, electric transportation, etc." This is all I have been trying to say. Our only difference seems to be how we define that. In my eyes it falls into the category of religion(a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance)
Untitled 3.jpg

Are you mixing this up? Elon is basically saying that our reality that we perceive is a real reality and that there is a "one in billions" chance that we are currently living in a simulation. He is not saying that reality as we currently perceive it has a one in billions chance of being reality. Elon, knowing what he knows, is simply not dismissing the possibility (one in billions) that existence is a simulation. He is essentially an agnostic about simulated reality.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Status
Not open for further replies.