Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a bit frustrating like Autowipers, they were bad, ok, then great (maybe 10.69?), then completely broken...now mostly broken.

Same with Summon, Autopark, Auto headlights....
For me, autowipers were pretty good, then got better, then great, then completely broken, now back to great again. We just had a big rain storm in SoCal and the autowipers worked perfectly for me on 11.7.9

Edit: I never experienced the dry wipes that others had, so perhaps that's why there are working fine for me now?

For me, autowipers were pretty good, then got better, then great, then completely broken, now back to great again. We just had a big rain storm in SoCal and the autowipers worked perfectly for me on 11.7.9
Mine are better than completely broken on my 2 cars that have 11.7.9, but I still need to manually activate too often. Yesterday they wouldn't turn on, but 2 days ago they did (too slow IMO).

I like the window really clear, even when FSD is working...it was really good for me. Hopefully they figure it out.

My MS on FSD defaults to wipers and lights off...which is annoying.

Reactions: Dewg
Tautopark >> Tmanualpark + Tgather

At least for me on this occasion.

I’ll try a couple more times and time myself and the Autopark.

Well, I used it to pull into a supercharger stall on a road trip a few days ago, was just about the perfect amount of time while it was doing it to:

Remove and put down my sunglasses
Hit pause on the podcast I was listening to
Take the last sip of my bottled drink, then grab that bottle and the other empty I had to take to the trash once I got out
Zip up my jacket since it was cold outside

So for me anyway it continues to be a good way to let me do any other get out of car prep while the car is parking, and net saves time.

Obviously in cases where I've not got much/anything to do (say, nighttime, but warm out, no drink, etc) I park myself, but when I do it still seems a net timesaver.

Thanks. I won’t waste my time. I am mystified why Tesla removes working features. Do they not have regression testing? This does not seem very complicated. Do not release software with regressions.

Make it a rule. No exceptions.

FWIW, there seems a LOT of variance car to car. Just see the recent discussion where autopark seemed to work never for sleepydoc, sometimes for you, and almost flawlessly for me.

See also the wipers where every update some people say it's better and some worse.

So it might have shown no regression on whatever their test cars are- but does for Dewg for some reason.

Reactions: edseloh and DrGriz
Well, I used it to pull into a supercharger stall on a road trip a few days ago, was just about the perfect amount of time while it was doing it to:

Remove and put down my sunglasses
Hit pause on the podcast I was listening to
Take the last sip of my bottled drink, then grab that bottle and the other empty I had to take to the trash once I got out
Zip up my jacket since it was cold outside

So for me anyway it continues to be a good way to let me do any other get out of car prep while the car is parking, and net saves time.

Obviously in cases where I've not got much/anything to do (say, nighttime, but warm out, no drink, etc) I park myself, but when I do it still seems a net timesaver.

FWIW, there seems a LOT of variance car to car. Just see the recent discussion where autopark seemed to work never for sleepydoc, sometimes for you, and almost flawlessly for me.

See also the wipers where every update some people say it's better and some worse.

So it might have shown no regression on whatever their test cars are- but does for Dewg for some reason.
Curious about your autopark - do you use it in to pull into and out of your garage? If so, is the space narrow (I have a two-car garage with a BMW X3 taking half the space)? So far, autopark in parking lots in reverse is working fine for me. Also autopark forward and back work if there is significant space around the car - it's the tight space in my garage where it has started failing.

Curious about your autopark - do you use it in to pull into and out of your garage? If so, is the space narrow (I have a two-car garage with a BMW X3 taking half the space)? So far, autopark in parking lots in reverse is working fine for me. Also autopark forward and back work if there is significant space around the car - it's the tight space in my garage where it has started failing.

My garage isn't really set up in a way I think autopark would even work... the street is perpendicular to the driveway, so it won't see a "spot" to the left, just an open driveway, with the open garage another 20 feet back up the driveway- none of which has any sort of parking lines or anything.

Curious what your setup was like that it offered it?

My garage isn't really set up in a way I think autopark would even work... the street is perpendicular to the driveway, so it won't see a "spot" to the left, just an open driveway, with the open garage another 20 feet back up the driveway- none of which has any sort of parking lines or anything.

Curious what your setup was like that it offered it?
I would pull into my driveway, open my garage. I would then pull my car forward a little until I'm close to the garage door and ready to pull into the garage. I would then press the park button and then double-press the park button to engage autopark. I select Forward and then get out of the car. The mirrors fold in and the car pulls itself forward, making adjustments to steering to park itself in the garage. The settings for this are under AP, then Summon. If you have FSD Beta enabled, switch back to AP and you'll see the summon settings. Set them, then switch back to FSD Beta.

To get out of my garage - I would open the garage door, then open the Tesla app on my phone. Press Summon on the app, and choose the reverse button (backwards), and the car would pull out of my garage and park itself nicely in my driveway.

I would pull into my driveway, open my garage. I would then pull my car forward a little until I'm close to the garage door and ready to pull into the garage. I would then press the park button and then double-press the park button to engage autopark. I select Forward and then get out of the car. The mirrors fold in and the car pulls itself forward, making adjustments to steering to park itself in the garage. The settings for this are under AP, then Summon. If you have FSD Beta enabled, switch back to AP and you'll see the summon settings. Set them, then switch back to FSD Beta.

To get out of my garage - I would open the garage door, then open the Tesla app on my phone. Press Summon on the app, and choose the reverse button (backwards), and the car would pull out of my garage and park itself nicely in my driveway.
You're basically using summon, not autopark. The trick you use to get your car in the garage is really just a variation of summon where you don't have to use the app to move the car.

Well I didn’t bother with the corner spot since there was no way to activate it for that one - would have to pull forward too far into non-existent space when going this direction - maybe I will try the other direction later, but the spot would be on the left side then, and not sure if that is supported. Anyway. Aimed for one next to it.

View attachment 1005481

Put it in reverse.

1) Start button showed, highlighted spot next to end spot, I pushed it. It nearly immediately aborted Autopark.

2) Got out of car and cleaned off the wet cameras, since it was hard to see.

3) Tried to get it to activate again. Went forward, drove several feet, then placed in reverse. Nothing.

4) Went to a different location in the garage. Placed car so a single backup maneuver would hit the spot.

5). Reverse, park icon showed up. Pressed it. Backed up slowly. Then stopped. Thought about it. Went forward slightly. More thinking. Jiggled the wheel a bit doing nothing. Finally backed up slowly. Impressively snuggled up to the left hand side of the spot next to the pillar. Took a very long time. I should have timed it but I would guess at least 30 seconds, probably longer? And if anyone had been around I would have had to take over.

View attachment 1005482

Tautopark >> Tmanualpark + Tgather

At least for me on this occasion.

I’ll try a couple more times and time myself and the Autopark.
Your experience is pretty typical. It always takes two attempts to get lined up on a space. And it's abysmally slow to the point that it's embarrassing to use in parking lot that has any traffic. It's generally bad enough to stop and reverse into a space if there are others coming down the lane. Letting autopark feel its way in is just unacceptable.

You're basically using summon, not autopark. The trick you use to get your car in the garage is really just a variation of summon where you don't have to use the app to move the car.
I totally agree with you - but I've been yelled at by people that Summon doesn't work, and what I'm using is just autopark (with USS). They likely equate summon with smart summon and autopark is easier and therefore not summon. :) But you're correct, in the manual this feature is "Summon"

Ah yup, summon... I've only ever used basic summon a couple of times, usually when someone parked too close for me to get a door open.

I have to back into my garage due to where the charger is located, plus it's not so narrow I can't get out once parked, so doesn't seem like it'd be worth using given you have to still manually babysit it via the app vs just backing in another ~15 feet into the garage.

Ah yup, summon... I've only ever used basic summon a couple of times, usually when someone parked too close for me to get a door open.

I have to back into my garage due to where the charger is located, plus it's not so narrow I can't get out once parked, so doesn't seem like it'd be worth using given you have to still manually babysit it via the app vs just backing in another ~15 feet into the garage.
Not sure what you mean by "babysit it via the app". If you back up and double-press Park, then select backwards, it will back into your garage once you get out. No need for the app to be open. If you want to pull it out, you open the app and summon, then forward and it pulls forward. You don't need to hold down a button or anything, just touch forward and it comes out. The only time I've had to babysit is when I'm using smart summon, where I press and hold the summon button while the car starts figuring out how to come to me, while I watch it like a hawk and let go if it starts to fail.

Ah- been so long since I used regular summon last time I did you had to open the app and hold down "forward" or "backward" and if you let go the car stopped.

Still- I guess I'm just comparing these two scenarios in my head:

A) I have to line the car up correctly, backward to the garage, then press park twice and select a direction, then get out still in the driveway, then wait for the car to back in, then walk past the car to the house (stopping to plug it in on the way).

B) I have to line the car up correctly, backward to the garage, then just go straight back another 15 feet, press park once, and get out 15 feet closer to the door inside the house (stopping to plug it in on the way).

Unlike autopark where I at least sometimes can be doing something useful while it's parking itself, this seems like it'd be net slower than parking myself 100% of the time.

As I say I totally get it if you're parking in a narrow garage space where the door can't open- but not otherwise.

(Plus much as vision/USS has improved I still trust my own eyes on the backup cam vs white wall more than the cars driving computer.)

Reactions: Dewg
I tried it 2 more times at a different work site - I actually got it to recognize a parking spot twice! The first time I hit start, it backed up about 6-12" then gave up immediately. The second time it actually did manage to park. Slowly, a bit crooked but it made it into the spot. So at this point I can count 1 (maybe 2? I may have had one long ago...) successful auto park attempts.

Not a big believer in this. I think it is more likely that the situations are different in ways which lead to the differing outcomes.
The first time I hit start, it backed up about 6-12" then gave up immediately.
Tried with the latest .8 update just to check. Got it to register a corner spot as I was starting to back in so came to a halt and gave it a try. A bit of rain. Cameras don’t look bad.

Abort, as usual. It was not necessary to readjust and change direction but on the second attempt after doing so it aborted.

IMG_0162.jpeg

Just not useful or reliable. Maybe they’ve actually been working on ASS and related this time (Elon tweets about this every year - tying back on topic here lol), and when v12 releases it will come with actual improvements here.

Not a big believer in this. I think it is more likely that the situations are different in ways which lead to the differing outcomes.

Tried with the latest .8 update just to check. Got it to register a corner spot as I was starting to back in so came to a halt and gave it a try. A bit of rain. Cameras don’t look bad.

Abort, as usual. It was not necessary to readjust and change direction but on the second attempt after doing so it aborted.

View attachment 1011256
Just not useful or reliable. Maybe they’ve actually been working on ASS and related this time (Elon tweets about this every year - tying back on topic here lol), and when v12 releases it will come with actual improvements here.
The bigger question here is how you survive at 76F and the seat heat to the max?

But also you

Just not useful or reliable.

Unless your theory is you have totally different parking spots than we have here in NC, both can't be true.... because in my car it's useful and reliable. Still a little slower than I'd like, but useful when I've got other things to do while it's parking itself, and can't recall it ever aborting out of an attempt while you consider that "usual"

Still a little slower than I'd like, but useful when I've got other things to do while it's parking itself, and can't recall it ever aborting out of an attempt while you consider that "usual"
Yes, very curious what is the reason for this. Obviously rear camera had water on it. Also I started the process after I started parking so it picked up midway through.

I’ll have to remember to take a video of this since it is all set up for it at the moment. Not sure how often it fails. Could be just 10% of the time for all I know (I am 1/3 on the three attempts in the last couple months). Maybe the video details could shed some light.

Unless your theory is you have totally different parking spots than we have here in NC, both can't be true.
My theory is that small differences could lead to large deviations in behavior. For example this is in a concrete parking structure. The lines are on concrete, not asphalt. Would that color difference matter (obviously to a human it is inconsequential)?

Basically I am claiming that nearly exactly the same parking spot design could lead to large differences in outcomes. That seems logical, and more likely than it being a vehicle difference.