Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately no one gives a rats a$$ (other than those effected) about the 100 people killed every day in the US by human drivers. That is just business as usual and 100% excepted and normal.

We are talking about OBTUSE public perception and NOT saving lives logic. When people die in a FSD Beta crash it will be complete and total news headline coverage with every detail speculated on and "experts" denoting our lax regulations that led to killer self driving cars let loose and rooming our streets. This is just human nature and fear will rule.

Remember the pedestrian killed by the Uber test car that was in all the news cycles? Bet you heard all the details and 1000s of speculations as to how and why. Sad and tragic BUT how many of the 5,000 pedestrians killed by human drivers since then do you remember or know details about? Are they not sad and tragic incidents too? NO ONE CARES. Uber ended up closing down their self driving testing in large part because of this. So how many lives is that saving?

Hope I'm wrong but but when an accident with headlines like "Tesla's self driving cars are killing people" is playing on repeat news saying FSD is actually saving lives is going to fall on deaf ears.
I don't understand how people can say this when there are new safety regulations every year and the deaths per mile traveled have been trending down for one hundred years.
On the other hand Uber's self-driving car fatality rate is absolutely horrendous. Now of course it's a small sample size but any new technology should face intense scrutiny when there is a fatal error. Assuming it's just a fluke would be a huge mistake (See Boeing 737 MAX).

I love Tesla and think very highly of Elon BUT this reeks of Elon’s tactics of “FOMO” and people running out to buy it before the increase just in case.
If the idea was to make some quick money by creating FOMO, Elon would have tweeted this before Q4 close. Now they have enough money to prepay loans, even if it means paying penalties. They are likely making $2B a quarter in GAP profits - they don’t need FOMO to make money.

I don't understand how people can say this when there are new safety regulations every year and the deaths per mile traveled have been trending down for one hundred years.
On the other hand Uber's self-driving car fatality rate is absolutely horrendous. Now of course it's a small sample size but any new technology should face intense scrutiny when there is a fatal error. Assuming it's just a fluke would be a huge mistake (See Boeing 737 MAX).
This is correct from regulators and safety industry perspective. The original comment was from the public's perspective. There isn't enough scrutiny on the many accidents that happen everyday, and too much scrutiny / threat of legal action on automated driving accidents, by the public. Because of this, the positive effects of self driving are slowed from gold companies like Waymo. A contrarian statement is also true, increased scrutiny will stave off negative effects from trashy companies trying to implement self driving, as in former uber.

Something that's rarely talked about.... If the day comes that robotaxis don't even require a safety driver, the car doors need a way to shut themselves. Passengers will inevitably leave a door open after stepping out. Currently only the Model X has this feature. Can this be retrofitted into S/3/Y? If not, if we see this feature appear in these models, we might be close to robotaxis.
Elon will ping you on your phone app every 5 minutes and fine you extra dollars every minute while you leave the car door(s) open?

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex and am_dmd
That is just politician speak. Does not make sense from an ethical POV. One Covid fatality = one FSD fatality.

Reactions: Ramphex
Unfortunately no one gives a rats a$$ (other than those effected) about the 100 people killed every day in the US by human drivers. That is just business as usual and 100% excepted and normal.

We are talking about OBTUSE public perception and NOT saving lives logic. When people die in a FSD Beta crash it will be complete and total news headline coverage with every detail speculated on and "experts" denoting our lax regulations that led to killer self driving cars let loose and rooming our streets. This is just human nature and fear will rule.

Remember the pedestrian killed by the Uber test car that was in all the news cycles? Bet you heard all the details and 1000s of speculations as to how and why. Sad and tragic BUT how many of the 5,000 pedestrians killed by human drivers since then do you remember or know details about? Are they not sad and tragic incidents too? NO ONE CARES. Uber ended up closing down their self driving testing in large part because of this. So how many lives is that saving?

Hope I'm wrong but but when an accident with headlines like "Tesla's self driving cars are killing people" is playing on repeat news saying FSD is actually saving lives is going to fall on deaf ears.

True. Which is why AV companies argue that they have to be extremely careful about deploying AVs and only deploy AVs when they have done the testing and have the data to prove the safety. They hope that society will be more lenient to an AV accident if they can show that they were very diligent in developing the AV and doing their best to make it as safe as possible. Because even if the AV is very safe, if there is an accident and it looks like the company should have been more careful, especially if the AV is deemed at fault, the media and regulators will most likely demand it get shut down. This is why skeptics doubt that we will see large scale deployment of AVs any time soon. Unfortunately, this means slower deployment of AVs. It is also argued that this is why we need standards and better government regulations because if we had good safety standards and regulations then if an AV were in compliance, the AV company could point to that to defend their AV, "yes, our AV got into an accident but our AV was fully compliant with all the safety standards and regulations that you imposed on us. We simply followed the standards you wanted us to use." This could maybe blunt the negative reaction to an AV accident.

Is that sarcasm? It is not a robotaxi and many years from being one. It is a L2 system that makes you assist the car in automated driving. If you aren't paranoid and aren't paying attention, the consequences can be dire.
It is an L5 prototype.:p I think the vast majority of people would not consider it a driver assist feature (this forum is not a representative sample).
Anyway, what FSD is worth depends on what you ultimately get and when. If it is a robotaxi by the end of the year then it is definitely worth $12k now. I think Elon is nuts but I do respect his logical consistency.

It is an L5 prototype.:p I think the vast majority of people would not consider it a driver assist feature (this forum is not a representative sample).
Anyway, what FSD is worth depends on what you ultimately get and when. If it is a robotaxi by the end of the year then it is definitely worth $12k now. I think Elon is nuts but I do respect his logical consistency.

We’re talking about robotaxis and all I want is for the car to just drive straight at a consistent speed without constantly slowing down and speeding back up like a grandma driving with two feet 😅😅
You can be sure Elon and Tesla will define what Robotaxi is regardless of the published levels. Then watch everyone complain about that.

That's exactly what it is.
It’s basically gonna go from $8k - $12k in price over the course of little over a year. And the only thing that’s changed is a few hundred people have beta. Majority of the fsd owners have received absolutely nothing. It’s shocking that anyone would pay for it at this point. I guess you rope in the newbies with fomo, they regret after a year or so. New suckers coming along.

It’s basically gonna go from $8k - $12k in price over the course of little over a year. And the only thing that’s changed is a few hundred people have beta. Majority of the fsd owners have received absolutely nothing. It’s shocking that anyone would pay for it at this point. I guess you rope in the newbies with fomo, they regret after a year or so. New suckers coming along.
Most non-industry news articles are very good at parroting Elon's claims, and the general "knowledge" that Tesla has autonomous driving. Many people doubtlessly read only those stories.

(Many industry articles say the same things too)

Reactions: Sporty and Ramphex
Most non-industry news articles are very good at parroting Elon's claims, and the general "knowledge" that Tesla has autonomous driving. Many people doubtlessly read only those stories.

(Many industry articles say the same things too)
From $2500 (?) in 2016...
A bunch of social media influencers also hype this a lot; how far ahead Tesla is, Dojo, non-lidar etcetc. Wonder if the influencers get paid? And we trust the company since they have achieved so much already. But now they are powerful enough, with so many influencers and fans that they can change media reality on FSD.
Brilliant snake oil business it is.