Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity is $5/gallon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably not, but don't be so sure about the reverse.

Our Tesla Model 3 replaced a Honda Fit. Well, sort of. We replaced a Fit and a Prius with a LEAF and a Tesla so you can choose what the replacement pairs are.

the performance of a Honda fit is not even on the same playing field. not to mention one is a suv the other is a high performance car. You cant compare the two.

At 10 cents per kWh I pay half the cost per mile vs driving a Prius with Gas at $2.50 a gallon so the only way your headline works is you have 40 cents per kWh compared to $5 a gallon.
That was the point of his (I presume) joke. He was not normalizing to cost to drive a mile but to the heat capacity of gasoline.

It's a good reminder why the EPA's MPGe only adds to the confusion of Joe the Plumber.

At 10 cents per kWh I pay half the cost per mile vs driving a Prius with Gas at $2.50 a gallon so the only way your headline works is you have 40 cents per kWh compared to $5 a gallon.

Model 3 is good for 4 miles per kWh aka 250 wh per mile. So 15 cents a kWh is about 3.75 cents per mile. The only way a gas car is matching that at $5 a gallon is if it gets 133 mpg.

A Prius.. that's where these figures come from. 3 taxi driver reports and 8 second 0-60 times...

A Prius.. that's where these figures come from. 3 taxi driver reports and 8 second 0-60 times...

maybe you missed my edit

The only way a gas car is matching that at $5 a gallon is if it gets 133 mpg.

The only way I know of getting 133 mpg in a Prius is driving 12 mph on a flat closed course or annoying every one on the road that is trying to pass you with your blinkers on.

The only way I know of getting 133 mpg in any non plug in gas car not named Prius is to drop it off a cliff.

What does that prove?? I don't have to go to a "gas" station to fill. I don't have explosive fuel in my garage. And after you fill in ten seconds, your car still sits around for 23 hours a day. What do you do with all that extra time you've saved?

By the way, it takes about three seconds to plug in, about three more to unplug. I don't have to hold some smelly handle while it fills, either.

It is one very good reason among many.
Too bad so few Americans retain them 'rithmetic skills

Here is another number for you: over 400,000 km you save over 70k CAD in fuel alone at current prices.
the spreadsheet that I put together to compare the total cost of ownership on my existing car vs the Tesla show the following numbers for Fuel vs Electricity savings (based on 4 fill ups per month):

Per fill up (from empty): $98.37
Per Month: $400.11
Over 8 years: $38,410.56

When you calculate the fuel savings, this brings my Model 3 capital cost down to $25,014.44 after 8 years.

At $0.15 / kWh, electricity costs the equivalent to $5/gallon of gasoline

Just a random fact of the day. Enjoy

* 1 gallon = 33.7 kWh
** Long range Model 3 holds just over 2 gallons of equivalent energy
***Luckily EVs are more efficient
So, where can I get a generator that will give me 33 kWh from a gallon of gas?

Too bad that power plants waste ~ 2/3 to make electricity.

The 6 kWh electricity to refine gasoline would drive an electric car the same distance as a gasser?
According to a popular factoid, 6 kiloWatt-hours of electricity is used to refine a gallon of gasoline.

Liquid fuel is so wasteful. How much fuel did the tanker ship use to bring oil from Saudi Arabia?
How much electricity was used to refine that oil into gasoline?
How much fuel was used to truck that gasoline from the refinery to the gasoline filling station?

"End-to-end" efficiency from fuel source to vehicle is already so much in favor of an EV. Then you had the major efficiency improvements of the EV car, and it seems a "no-brainer".

Solar/hydro/wind/geothermal power to refill an EV is so much cheaper, cleaner, and efficient than the alternatives.

the spreadsheet that I put together to compare the total cost of ownership on my existing car vs the Tesla show the following numbers for Fuel vs Electricity savings (based on 4 fill ups per month):

Per fill up (from empty): $98.37
Per Month: $400.11
Over 8 years: $38,410.56

When you calculate the fuel savings, this brings my Model 3 capital cost down to $25,014.44 after 8 years.
You think the average person drives 35,000 miles per year?