Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Motorcycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newest electric bike to hit the market is the Sora. Offers 120 mph and (not simultaneously) 185-mile range.

lito-sora-render-630.jpg

this thing is sexy

Letter from Brammo:

"Thank you for your support and interest in Brammo and the 100 mph Empulse. I want to provide you an update on the production development of your Empulse. We have very high expectations of all of our products, and from the response, interest and feedback we have received, the world is eager to get their hands on Brammo’s greatest creation so far: our electric street bike. We have been testing and developing more groundbreaking technology which has proven to greatly improve acceleration. I will continue to update you about this exciting technology as news becomes available.
With such intense interest in the Empulse, Brammo teams and suppliers across the globe are working hard to deliver you a motorcycle of the level of quality Brammo riders have come to expect. We had a tough decision to make recently: Deliver the Empulse this riding season, or integrate our latest technology and deliver a superior bike in 2012. After much deliberation, we decided to be true to our values and build the best bike we can. We still have a good amount of work and testing to do in order to bring you the world's greatest electric motorcycle. We believe it is going to be worth the wait. For those of you who are interested, we plan to involve some of you in test riding the new Empulse once we have completed the safety testing.
This week we will be announcing some new prototype models based on the new technology. These bikes have helped us thoroughly test and prove the technology that is being integrated into the Empulse.
We truly appreciate your patience. Meanwhile, we have a lot of work to do. We are signing up the best dealers we can find to carry the growing family of Brammo motorcycles, so if you have a dealer you trust and respect, be sure to tell us, as we value your opinion.
Once we have appointed a Brammo dealer near you, we will be communicating with them to work with you on the details of the purchase and delivery of your Empulse. I wanted you to hear this exciting news directly and so I would be most grateful if you didn’t discuss any of this with the media until it is formally announced on Wednesday.
I will be in touch again soon...
Sincerely,
Craig Bramscher
CEO and Founder Brammo Inc."

Article says mechatronic transmisson, guessing there's no manual clutching/shifting.

And the six gears may be to make the automated shifting easier by lowing the ratio difference between adjacent gears.

Might be one way to avoid the problems that plagued the Tesla 2-speed...?

Article says mechatronic transmisson, guessing there's no manual clutching/shifting.

And the six gears may be to make the automated shifting easier by lowing the ratio difference between adjacent gears.

Might be one way to avoid the problems that plagued the Tesla 2-speed...?

I'm pretty sure the clutch and gear interface is similar to that of a gas-powered bike.

I'm pretty sure the clutch and gear interface is similar to that of a gas-powered bike.

Guess it would have helped if I had watched the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VaVS5Jqrg

Looks like manual clutching/shifting at 0:09 and 0:29... I sit corrected :biggrin:

Digging into it a bit more, Brammo is licensing the "integrated electric transmission" or IET from SMRE engineering. Links:
Brammo revs up with six-speed EV motorcycles | Green Tech - CNET News
IET Integrated Electric Transmission Motorcycle from SMRE Engineering

Undeleted now that it's Wednesday.

And, thumbs up to Brammo for discussing its plans with its fans ahead of time; that's how to make you feel part of the revolution!

Any CEO foolish enough to share confidential information should assume it will get out ahead of time. "If you want to keep something a secret, don't tell anyone." The CEO can't keep a secret, but he wants potential customers to keep mum? Nahhhhh. I just assumed Brammo wanted it to leak.