Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Motorcycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are any of the EV bikes using a belt? A pack of EV motorcycles were at the EV run and their chains were the 2nd nosiest vehicles in the parade.

the Zero Street cycles are using a "Poly Chain® GT® Carbon™ belt" ... zooming in it looks definitely like a belt and not a chain ... I don't know which other ones are using a belt as well.

ZERO S Electric Motorcycle - Specs || ZERO MOTORCYCLES

Last edited:
I'd love to replace all the drive chains with belts, but the others operate at lower speeds than the one from the motor, and it gets expensive. There are issues with belts under high loads, especially longer ones on a swing arm. They can jump teeth unless you use a tensioner, so a chain is cheaper and easier.

I believe that the higher powered bikes all use chains as they are more able to handle high torque and power.

BMW has used a drive shaft for ages. They may have switched over lately due to cost issues, but the drive shaft was well able to handle the 130 hp on my R1200. Motorcycles usually have the engine sideways so the pistons are out of the way of legs, rocks, etc, and so using a sideways trans and chain to the rear wheel, which is also sideways, works fine. But... Drive shafts are perfectly capable. Used also by Yamaha, Suzuki, Moto Guzzi, Honda, Indian 4, some bicycles, and even Harley, for a brief while.