Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edmunds Model S Long-Term Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know the vin# on this car? I have seen it posted somewhere, but cannot find it now.

- - - Updated - - -

While some of those may be legit replacements for being loud, I have a feeling that Tesla has replaced quite a few that make a little noise due to the whining noise the customer makes. My car has a tiny bit of noise at about 60mph, but it's not something that I would want a drive unit replacement for, but somebody else might.

Can't speak for others. My copy of RAV4 has the noise since 2400 miles (which I really was hoping it would go away, since Toyota refused to do anything unless I ship the car from Western PA back to CA.) The noise on mine is not subtle, the whining sound can be heard from 10mph and up. (My fiancée made a comment that the car actually sounded like it has an engine now. ;) )

While some of those may be legit replacements for being loud, I have a feeling that Tesla has replaced quite a few that make a little noise due to the whining noise the customer makes. My car has a tiny bit of noise at about 60mph, but it's not something that I would want a drive unit replacement for, but somebody else might.
I don't think so. My car developed a very noticeable groan/rumble above 65mph. Service replaced my drive unit and, I believe, it was as part of a TSB. There is a problem out there. I don't know how many people it might affect, but it's not Tesla replacing something because folks whined about "a little noise".

There's an incredibly disturbing trend in these forums of punishing the customers that have issues. Complain about abnormal tire wear and you'll get called stupid for not understanding tire usage. Complain about engine noise and you'll get labeled as "the whining noise the customer makes".

I understand we're all mostly pro-Tesla, but it's risen to the point where we're persecuting those who do bring issues to light. Such actions do not help Tesla (or TMC).

Edmunds seems to be having a slightly above avg number of issues. Will be interesting to see what they have to say when they are done with their long term test.

I agree. However, so far, the Tesla has been more reliable than the long-term SLS they had a few months ago (that one had multiple issues with the battery, a loose driver's seat, and the convertible top broke TWICE). Edmunds didn't end up dinging the SLS very much for its problems (perhaps because it was on loan from Mercedes rather than Edmunds shelling out for it).

Here's the link if anyone cares:

http://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/sls-amg/2012/long-term-road-test/maintenance.html

^^^
I haven't looked the SLS long-term updates (nor any over at Edmunds for a long while) but using a Mercedes as a bar for comparison isn't necessarily the best. Mercedes are not known for having good reliability.

Having owned a Mercedes in the past, I would largely agree with this statement. However, that doesn't stop Model S from constantly being compared to them, as well as BMW and Audi, in all areas (interior/exterior quality, performance, pricing, etc).

There's an incredibly disturbing trend in these forums of punishing the customers that have issues.... Complain about engine noise and you'll get labeled as "the whining noise the customer makes".

Since I've actually had the noise, I took the car in exactly once to complain about it, the service person agreed and Tesla replaced the motor. But, I had to listen to more than one person make the casual back handed slap of, "oh, you're just a complainer, and they spent a lot of money on a new motor assembly just to shut you up".

When I had a LEAF, there was certainly a tendency toward those kinds of attacks, but now it's not so bad.

I wish they'd made a little louder recording. I have to put my ear right up to my laptop speakers to even hear it. I can't even tell that is a motor noise rather than road or wind noise.

I watched/listened to edmunds noise. WOW that is loud and sounds very bad. I've complained about low electrical whirring types sounds but there's is a loud clicking thud that reminded me of a rod knock in my old murano. This is not a noise you can bear to drive with. That sounds like something is die to keel over and die. Like the clicking if a (non-SSD) hard drive! You know its gonna die soon so you better backup and replace it ASAP or suffer the consequences!

Since I've actually had the noise, I took the car in exactly once to complain about it, the service person agreed and Tesla replaced the motor. But, I had to listen to more than one person make the casual back handed slap of, "oh, you're just a complainer, and they spent a lot of money on a new motor assembly just to shut you up".

When I had a LEAF, there was certainly a tendency toward those kinds of attacks, but now it's not so bad.
I certainly wasn't trying to imply that everyone was a whiner. Some of these noises are definitely not normal, and if one thinks it's too loud, then the best thing to do is to take it in and have the drive unit replaced. Having said that, I haven't driven a single Tesla powered car that had a silent motor. These Induction motors make some noise, so if someone wants a silent car...

I certainly wasn't trying to imply that everyone was a whiner. Some of these noises are definitely not normal, and if one thinks it's too loud, then the best thing to do is to take it in and have the drive unit replaced. Having said that, I haven't driven a single Tesla powered car that had a silent motor. These Induction motors make some noise, so if someone wants a silent car...

Coming from a Volt I understand the sound signature of Tesla's induction motor makes is different (louder compared to even Volt's AC induction motor) especially at start up. There is a different sound that comes after that seems to be happening at higher reported rate in RAV4 EV than in the Volt regardless of how hard the motor was pushed in its duty cycle. I know I was thinking perhaps these motor needs a gentler "break-in" period. I was babying my motor (no sampling of sport mode hard acceleration or deceleration for the first 1500 miles or so.) and yet it still developed the dreaded sound that has steadily gotten louder...
Granted the RAV4 FWD configuration has the potential to accentuate the motor sound but the two model S (one 85 non-performance and another 60 kW version in the area from fellow TMC members) does not have similar sound when I sit in the back seat.

Last edited:
Also, everyone who takes the car out wants to see "what she'll do". It's probably been driven pretty hard by all those people. The average private owner will play with it during the first couple of weeks, then settle down to average driving for the most part.

ummm... no. i drive it as hard if not harder with time. that is not a valid reason for the drive unit to fail.

driving home from work today my car started to sound like a souped up Honda Civic with an aftermarket muffler.. I could change the pitch with the accelerator. It would stop when I let off enough to get my power consumption right at "zero" on the regen bar... It seemed to go away after a while and I thought maybe it was road texture, another car, something... but after reading these other descriptions, I'm starting to wonder if my inverter or motor is starting to die? Will film it if it happens again so I'll have reference/proof

Having said that, I haven't driven a single Tesla powered car that had a silent motor. These Induction motors make some noise, so if someone wants a silent car...

Not correct. I haven't driven any NEW Model S which was not completely silent. The problem seems to start at about 7k miles and from all the info I had ( I am a victim of motor noise...) it is the inverter and not the motor.

- - - Updated - - -

driving home from work today my car started to sound like a souped up Honda Civic with an aftermarket muffler.. I could change the pitch with the accelerator. It would stop when I let off enough to get my power consumption right at "zero" on the regen bar... It seemed to go away after a while and I thought maybe it was road texture, another car, something... but after reading these other descriptions, I'm starting to wonder if my inverter or motor is starting to die? Will film it if it happens again so I'll have reference/proof

Once it starts it gets louder and louder until it is so annoying that you need the unit replaced. It seems to be better when the motor is cold and worse at really hot temperatures. At my car I could here it > 60 mph even with the radio at 7.

Unfortunately, it looks like Edmunds is having another major warranty repair. It was the drive unit last time, and based on these tweets, it failed again. Interested to hear what happened in an upcoming blog post.

EdmundsModelS_Pwtrn.jpg

Unfortunately, it looks like Edmunds is having another major warranty repair. It was the drive unit last time, and based on these tweets, it failed again. Interested to hear what happened in an upcoming blog post.

View attachment 43265
So, is what happened here the same as Stuck on the Freeway - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test That Edmunds post doesn't cover the repair/outcome and is many days after the tweets.

Someone started a thread at Edmunds.com test car failure to cover the above incident.

I'd imagine Edmunds will report the issue to NHTSA, but even if they don't, I'd imagine this caught someone's attention there.