Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edmunds Model S Long-Term Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, here it is August 8th 2014 and the Model X is coming out sometime in Spring 2015. It will be AWD which means any drive train issues will potentially be more of a problem than with the Model S. I have waited for my Model X for what will be over 2 years when I take delivery sometime next Spring. I read almost every thread on this subject but the earliest ones and find I am very concerned about this situation. My concern is that I, and it seems most people on this thread, still have no idea if the matter has been dealt with by Tesla. Sometimes Tesla's "secrecy" in discussing car matters becomes an issue which causes a very motivated Tesla future owner to question their decision to support the company. I just don't feel confident reading about any drive train issue that can occur with such frequency for individual owners.
Edmunds got one particular, early VIN car. Because Tesla owns all its service centers, it sees all of the repair issues. In my experience, Tesla's been very proactive about making engineering changes to solve problems, so I would have no concerns about buying a Model X. Moreover, people close to the company report that there will be an AWD Model S before the Model X rollout, so the Model X drivetrain will have had the benefit of learning even before it's released.

Edmunds got one particular, early VIN car. Because Tesla owns all its service centers, it sees all of the repair issues. In my experience, Tesla's been very proactive about making engineering changes to solve problems, so I would have no concerns about buying a Model X. Moreover, people close to the company report that there will be an AWD Model S before the Model X rollout, so the Model X drivetrain will have had the benefit of learning even before it's released.

Wow that is great! ... is this discussed in another thread or is this the first mention of it that you know of? Either way thanks for sharing. I would love to read up on any discussion available as I think that will move the stock when it is announced.

So, here it is August 8th 2014 and the Model X is coming out sometime in Spring 2015. It will be AWD which means any drive train issues will potentially be more of a problem than with the Model S. I have waited for my Model X for what will be over 2 years when I take delivery sometime next Spring. I read almost every thread on this subject but the earliest ones and find I am very concerned about this situation. My concern is that I, and it seems most people on this thread, still have no idea if the matter has been dealt with by Tesla. Sometimes Tesla's "secrecy" in discussing car matters becomes an issue which causes a very motivated Tesla future owner to question their decision to support the company. I just don't feel confident reading about any drive train issue that can occur with such frequency for individual owners.

From last earning conference call transcript, Elon said:

Quality Control Improvements: They have addresses almost all of the early production issues with current cars. A lot of the "drivetrain" issues were just misdiagnosed, and was actually a problem with the drivetrain. Current issue that needs to be addressed is a differential issue, which is solved by them inserting a "shim", which costs 50 cents. Stressing that a lot of these fixes are not costly.

From last earning conference call transcript, Elon said:

Quality Control Improvements: They have addresses almost all of the early production issues with current cars. A lot of the "drivetrain" issues were just misdiagnosed, and was actually a problem with the drivetrain. Current issue that needs to be addressed is a differential issue, which is solved by them inserting a "shim", which costs 50 cents. Stressing that a lot of these fixes are not costly.

I think you meant: " A lot of the "drivetrain" issues were just misdiagnosed, and were actually NOT a problem with the drivetrain."

I think you meant: " A lot of the "drivetrain" issues were just misdiagnosed, and were actually NOT a problem with the drivetrain."

Yes, there are more recent real transcript available. I just did a copy-paste from here : Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014 - Page 594

Here is the real transcript:

Elon Musk

Sure. We definitely had some quality issues in the beginning for the [indiscernible] number of cars, because we're just basically figuring out how to make the Model S. And I think we've addressed almost all of those CARB [ph] production cars, I mean not all, but the vast majority have been addressed in cars that are being produced today.

And we're also getting better at diagnosing what's wrong, because in some cases we, particularly with respect to the drive unit, we think that something is wrong with the drive unit but it's actually something wrong with another part of the car. And then we'd replace the drive unit and that wouldn't solve the problem because the drive unit was not the problem.

And we had one particular case where there was vibration, and it was due to -- it was due to the -- a cable detaching itself and touching the drive unit assembly and causing vibration to be transmitted to the body of the car. And it was somewhat pernicious because if the cable moved a little bit and so that it didn't provide a conductive path, then you wouldn't -- the vibration would go away. If you replace the drive unit, you temporarily tuck the cable back and think the problem was solved and it was -- but then the cable would vibrate itself down and transmit the energy. So I mean that, you know, the cable thing takes us like -- it's nothing to fix it. It's like, virtually, it's like a $3 cable tied to solve it.

So there's a bunch of things like that which are just [indiscernible] diagnosis of the problems that we've obviously addressed.

There are a few items that will need a fair number of drive pans [ph] will need to be serviced. It's actually related -- one particularly is related to the differential, and we need to assume [ph] the differential. It doesn't require drive unit replacement, it just requires a technician to insert a Shim [ph]. We're going to have to do that on a fair number of cars. But that's like a $0.50 Shim [ph].

So it's really -- I wouldn't assume that there's going to be some vast number of drive pans [ph] that will need to replaced, but there's several service buttons [ph] that we'll be instituting, many of which we've already have to address the issue.

And every week I have a product excellence meeting, which is to -- which is a cross-functional group, so we've got engineering, service and production, and we go about all the issues that the customer is reporting with the car, and, you know, the action items that we addressed to get car ultimately to -- photonic ideal of a perfect car, that's what we're aiming for. Because although we -- I think we've got great service, but that service is no service. That's really what we want, is a car that never needs to be serviced. And I think we're getting there quite rapidly.

Thank you to those who responded to my query regards the drive train matter. I see that at least three of you already own the Model S and it apppears, that you have not encountered this problem. That is also reassuring to me. I will keep waiting for that Model X. :)