Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah there are a couple of those in Montreal. Totally defeats the purpose.

Ottawa is putting more and more of them in. There's one at the exit of my neighbourhood, and some days I go through five of them. They work well.

Anyway, yes it's certainly better if the Supercharger is closer to the highway. But given that we have to wait a while, I'll drive a couple of km to be near restaurants etc. Lawrence is okay when the traffic isn't really bad, but it's not entirely ideal. There's a Tim Hortons not too far away, but it's not exactly a great location for amenities. When Cobourg gets installed I'll be making more use of it than Lawrence.

(What's really annoying is when you have to drive 5 km out of your way to get to a 30A Level II station... then you waste half an hour just getting the round trip distance to the charging station back!)

You are right about commuting on a daily basis but people may come to downtown for something like a sporting event. If you live east of T.O. then you will likely be taking the DVP so Lawrence is convenient. But downtown Toronto has lots of chargers, albeit slow and in expensive parking lots. I lucked into one a week ago at Brookfield Place when going to the ACC? Looking at Plugshare, pretty much every downtown office complex has chargers.

I really can't win here. Last time this discussion rose within this exact thread, I did note Toronto was an anomaly because Superchargers appear to be installed outside major cities for long drives. Someone jumped all over me pointing to New York, Chicago and LA. Now, Duckjybe takes issue with an inner city spot.

What I do get is everyone wants a Supercharger on their single specific route and will rationalize its placement.

I speculate Lawrence was selected as opportune by Tesla from an almost-new but recently bankrupt Harley Davidson dealership. It offered a modern showroom space off two major highways in Canada's largest city. It makes sense from financial to logistical. It happens to serve me well but (even if it didn't) I would understand why it is a good location. A testament to how good Lawrence's location is how many people complain it is 15 minutes off their route. It is equally inconvenient crossing the perpetual traffic jam known as Toronto whether you are passing through north, south, east or west.

However, I will have to remind myself not to explain this next time an individual believes a supercharger should have been built in Armpit, Ontario because they frequently travel from Elbow to Shoulder.

On a happier note, a forum post showed a newspaper article for Barrie opening last Wednesday. Another user demanded the thread removed as inaccurate. That link now comes here so I will ask, do we have an opening date for Barrie and will there be a Tesla Parade? I'd like to decorate mine with ribbons and balloons.

I am still hoping that Barrie might be open by this Friday. I am travelling that day to Thornbury and back. I most likely would make it in the cold on a full charge but If I do some insane demos for my friends there, a charge in Barrie on the way back would be most welcome. My backup plan is to charge up where I visit using the UMC with extension cable to a 30A dryer outlet.

I would like to see a SC on Hhy 7 for those of us going to Ottawa from Hog town. It would cut the trip down, time wise, considerably.
I would say Peterborough, Tweed area or Smiths Falls would be good. Ideally, Tweed which is half way.
As you know, Hwy 7 is a beautiful road and a great alternative to the monotonous 401.

North Americans suck at roundabouts, whether building them or driving them. The ones that drive me nuts are the ones with traffic lights, completely defeating the purpose of a roundabout to begin with.
Roundabouts only work well without traffic lights up to a certain amount of traffic. Above that level, it becomes impossible to enter them except from the 1 or 2 primary flow directions. In countries like the UK, roundabouts with traffic lights have been in existence for decades. A couple of examples that come to mind are on the west side of Edinburgh where the M8 and A8 meet up with the A720 ring road. It's weird when you first come across them, but when you watch the traffic you realize why the lights are necessary. Drivers just have to think a bit about others as well as themselves.

Why Tweed?
It is 10km off Hwy 7 and only 'on the way' if you are heading down to the 401... in which case, you should have visited Kingston.

Madoc would make much more sense. They opened a McDonald's last year and have a kick ass bakery. Also, my family cottage is located there. So, to reference my earlier post... perfect for my trips to Armpit, Ontario.

Tweed is only 8 km from hwy 7 plus there is a Tim Hortons there and other quaint restaurants. Lol!
Cornwall is about 3 or 4 km from the 401 and Toronto is about 5 or so. What's the problem?
Tweed and vicinity to me works best as it is half way between Ottawa and Toronto.
Besides, Kingston isn't up and running yet and they would have the Tweed SC operational long before Kingston anyway!

Question for anyone using Woodstock Ontario:

I recall from a recent post that someone went to Woodstock and found all Superchargers ICE'd. Has anyone returned to see if this is a common occurrence?

I have to drive to Chicago in late February. I'd like to know if Woodstock isn't reliable... not that I have another option.

I imagine the Comber, ON SC will be open by then (unless we have another Kingston situation...) I'd recommend leaving your house with a 100% charge just in case. :)

I recall from a recent post that someone went to Woodstock and found all Superchargers ICE'd. Has anyone returned to see if this is a common occurrence?

I have to drive to Chicago in late February. I'd like to know if Woodstock isn't reliable... not that I have another option.

Kingston update...

This bad boy arrived on site this morning:
image.jpg

My wife SC'd there last Wednesday...a couple of spots were iced, but she, and two other Model S's were able to charge ok.

I think the management of the Motel, if a spot was iced, might be able to help you out a bit...word is they are EV friendly.

Apparently, if a Leaf is parked in one of the SC spots, the gal who owns it (who has been asked not to park there a few times) works in the fitness center...fwiw