Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Earth Day @Google - Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the screen was plenty visible, but there wasn't any direct sun on it. I had my sunglasses on, didn't seem to cause an issue.

Are your sunglasses polarized? I have a pair or Maui Jims, which are polarized. They're great for lots of things, but every now and then the polarization hurts. Like at LCD gas station pumps (the display literally looks blank). I should probably go to the local Tesla store and try it out.

Are your sunglasses polarized? I have a pair or Maui Jims, which are polarized. They're great for lots of things, but every now and then the polarization hurts. Like at LCD gas station pumps (the display literally looks blank). I should probably go to the local Tesla store and try it out.
I've been wondering about this one for a while. If the output from the 17" LCD is vertically polarized then it should be fine, if it's horizontally polarized, then that's a problem. Seems to me (by doing a sampling of the screens I have around) most seem to be polarized approximately along the diagonal (which is less than ideal, but perhaps workable). Supposedly the screen in the Fisker Karma is unreadable while wearing polarized sunglasses.

If you swivel your head ("rotate your owl") you can see the double polarization shift from dark to light.
For instance if two people are both wearing polarized sunglasses you can see their eyes in one orientation, and dark looking lenses in another.

Also some car windows seem to have a checkerboard of horizontal and vertical patches apparently due to the tempering process.
If you are wearing sunglasses and you notice a car (particulary factory tinted rear hatchback windows) that looks like a checkboard of light and dark, try viewing it without the sunglasses...

Tempered Glass Question? - Yahoo! Answers
Car Windshields are not polarized!!
Polarized sunglasses and Autoglass | Mustang Forums at StangNet
car-window-polarized.jpg

Last edited:
Blisteringly obvious, but given that there are betas available in White, Black, and Silver, it seems odd that they would put the standard interior in a Sig Red exterior, when it would never come that way.

Maybe, they are exercising the robots with Sig Red the most in the paint shop since most of the Sig res holders seem to be going for that?!