Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual motor efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@David99,

Is the "Torque Sleep, or switching one motor off so the load on the other is higher making it more efficient" an 'automatic' operation sensed by the car speed or is something you have to manually shut off -and on?

Ski

There is no manual switch or control for it. The car does all of it on it's own. I believe you have to have 'Range Mode' turned on for it to be enabled. Tesla says it is seamless and so quick that you don't notice it. I'm a little confused why torque sleep is not enabled all the time. Maybe there is a disadvantage (that Tesla isn't telling us about) so they don't have it enabled it by default.

Actually, David99 agrees with you "when pushing things to the extreme".

He just doesn't believe EV Regen is powerful enough to necessitate being on the front axle.
If it's true that Tesla regen is only -60kW, the rear wheels could probably handle all of that, w/o too much drama (considering Tesla's long wheelbase and 4300-4900 lb curb weight).

I appreciate all the information being shared here, it was very revealing.
I still suspect Tesla is sandbagging on Regen.
In which case, AWD seems less essential again.
This is the problem with having 2Y to research your car purchase :rolleyes:
Just remember that the i3 has strong regen, RWD, a short wheelbase and is lightweight. It would be insightful to go test drive one and see how the regen effects vehicle dynamics. Just go into a corner and lift off the throttle and see what it does. I've never done this, and am not responsible for the result! However, you should be fine because of the stability control.

Just remember that the i3 has strong regen, RWD, a short wheelbase and is lightweight. It would be insightful to go test drive one and see how the regen effects vehicle dynamics. Just go into a corner and lift off the throttle and see what it does. I've never done this, and am not responsible for the result! However, you should be fine because of the stability control.

All good points. I have actually worked for BMW several years ago. They do very extensive testing in any possible situation before they come out with a car. I also know that BMW takes driving dynamics very serious.

I'm a little surprised about the concern with having just the rear (or front) wheels doing regen. Regen is always much lower than accelerating. When accelerating we have a much much higher torque on just the rear (or front) wheels and it does not affect driving dynamics much negatively. So why would the lower torque of regen be such an issue? I think we all agree having individually adjustable torque on all four wheels would be the ideal situation, but it's not like we have an issue with millions of RWD or FWD cars on the streets right now. What am I missing?

Actually, David99 agrees with you "when pushing things to the extreme".

He just doesn't believe EV Regen is powerful enough to necessitate being on the front axle.
If it's true that Tesla regen is only -60kW, the rear wheels could probably handle all of that, w/o too much drama (considering Tesla's long wheelbase and 4300-4900 lb curb weight).

I appreciate all the information being shared here, it was very revealing.
I still suspect Tesla is sandbagging on Regen.
In which case, AWD seems less essential again.
This is the problem with having 2Y to research your car purchase :rolleyes:
sigh o_O

Reactions: JeffK
For those looking for a little more physics background on load transfer during acceleration/deceleration, here ya go!

That's all good. You are still confusing the weight shift with converting torque via the motor to electricity. Yes during deceleration the weight shifts slightly to the front wheels. But that doesn't mean the front wheels are contributing anything to decelerating the car. That is a completely different and unrelated thing. The energy needed to slow the car down does not change in any way. The kinetic energy (vehicle mass * velocity) is the same regardless of the weight distribution. There is a certain amount of kinetic energy that can be converted into electric energy. It doesn't matter if you use one wheel, 2 wheels, all 4 or have a trailer with a generator creating the regen. Weight shift just causes the wheels to have different 'weights' in different situations. It does not say anything about how much torque (negative or positive) is applied to a wheel.

The battery is not really the problem. It can be charged at a high rate and the charging efficiency is actually pretty good. In normal driving I never found the regen amount to not be enough. Capacitors would not have any advantage in terms of efficiency. Maybe in race situations where they might be able to capture energy at a higher rate. Maybe.

I agree that in normal driving it's enough, but for aggressive driving or reacting to unexpected events you need to use the friction brakes. I do think the 60kW limit is a compromise between what is "enough" regen and what is good for the battery (I do not believe it has anything to do with problems due to braking on the rear axle only). The amount of extra energy you could regain using capacitors for hard braking wouldn't be much for 99% of driving, certainly not worth the cost or complexity.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99 and Lunarx
David99, the load on a tire drastically affects the friction of the tire and the amount of torque it can transfer to/from the ground.
So a loaded tire could generate more regen torque, provided the unloaded tire would loose traction, from the torque of regen.
During braking, rear tires unload and front tires load.
However, you state regen torque is so low as to not present an issue.
It seems, on that point you could be right.

Last edited:
David99, the load on a tire drastically affects the friction of the tire and the amount of torque it can transfer to/from the ground.
So a loaded tire could generate more regen torque, provided the unloaded tire would loose traction, from the torque of regen.
During braking, rear tires unload and front tires load.
However, you state regen torque is so low as to not present an issue.
It seems, on that point you could be right.
To add a little, it's not that the torque is so low during regen, it's that the deceleration is so low during regen. Remember that the load transfer which unloads the rear tires is a function of deceleration. The 70% number that people reference is at or near max braking of ~1.0g. The deceleration g's for regen are <=0.3g, hence the load transfer is less than a third of the peak value seen during a panic stop. So during max regen the rears may unload 10% and the fronts load up 10%. As stated above, this light unloading is within the ability of the rear tire to maintain traction most of the time.

The car is unlikely to offer 300 mile range at any price. The battery upgrade for it is likely going to be $7500-$10,000 so it seems it is already over budget for you.
I disagree, but let's see. The standard calculation may not be applicable, because the cost of producing batteries will vary by multiple factors but one of those includes just how dense you want them to be. There is a lot of variability in batteries from manufacturing and so it allows for different pricing at different levels. The quality needed to achieve 100 kwh in a model s for example is very different from what they'll need for, say, 50 kWh in a model 3 or 75 kWh. That's why the regular upgrade for 10 marginal kWh on a model S is not a direct translation to the model 3.

If it really is that expensive, I would agree that I'm going to be priced out of this car. I'm super excited by the new technology but if it'll mean the target price with my options moves up to 50k or higher, it'll be something I'll begrudgingly walk away from.

Not sure if it's been covered, but it appears Dual motors haven't had the problems single drive units have had. Either the dual motor is better, or possibly less stress on the drive units. Might be a reason to get it alone if they prove to be problematic out of warranty.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
The battery is not really the problem. It can be charged at a high rate and the charging efficiency is actually pretty good. In normal driving I never found the regen amount to not be enough. Capacitors would not have any advantage in terms of efficiency. Maybe in race situations where they might be able to capture energy at a higher rate. Maybe.
I don't really get this thread. There is only a certain amount of kinetic energy at any given speed that can be potentially captured. Capturing it faster would slow the car down faster, but wouldn't capture any more energy because there is only so much to capture in the first place. It might even capture less because the faster the rate the more will be converted to heat.

Reactions: David99
I think the main reason for limiting regen is the lack of anti-lock abilities. I know if I hit a bump on the road while decelerating heavily in my Leaf, the car will immediately cut back almost all of the regen while the anti-lock system is pulsing the brakes, and then stay in that state (no regen) until the brake pedal is released.

How does a Tesla handle situations where the anti-lock brakes kick on?

I don't really get this thread. There is only a certain amount of kinetic energy at any given speed that can be potentially captured. Capturing it faster would slow the car down faster, but wouldn't capture any more energy because there is only so much to capture in the first place. It might even capture less because the faster the rate the more will be converted to heat.

This is isn't about whether the energy can currently be captured, it's whether the energy can be captured while driving like a maniac and braking hard. ;) (Which I know you never do, given your efficiency numbers.) Since you're wasting energy in all sorts of ways if you are driving like that, it's probably not really worth it.

Reactions: jerry33
This is isn't about whether the energy can currently be captured, it's whether the energy can be captured while driving like a maniac and braking hard. ;) (Which I know you never do, given your efficiency numbers.) Since you're wasting energy in all sorts of ways if you are driving like that, it's probably not really worth it.

Very true. Regen is not of much use when you gotten used to driving electrics. The smaller the battery, the more important to not use regen as it's a waste. Looking at the video above you get only 50% back. (IRL might be less too, but the video says 50%) Better of not accelerating so much and save the full 100% :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx