Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Chargers now separate from HPWC on Tesla Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The online store now shows the 2nd charger is $2000 which includes installation.
That is way more reasonable than the earlier $3,600.

Tesla Gear Shop Dual Charger with Installation

I'm impressed that they can sell it for that much and break even.

I can tell you right now that for $2,000 many other EV owners would happily pay that to double 30A L2 charging to 60A - never mind getting another 40A.

I can tell you right now that for $2,000 many other EV owners would happily pay that to double 30A L2 charging to 60A - never mind getting another 40A.

Hope they do something nice for people who paid the original after-delivery price.

Last edited:
I bet that eventually Tesla will find a manufacturer to make a single charger to 80 amps and that will become standard for all cars.

Perhaps. I was thinking they might just tie L1-L2-L3 together on the EU-spec chargers in the single-phase locales and move toward them in the entire fleet.

- - - Updated - - -

This is aligned with the move to take the dual charger option off the manufacturing line and make it a service-center-only install option.

But aren't the European chargers limited to 11kW as well? How would you get a 20kW charger from that? I must be missing something...

Sorry, I hadn't completed the thought that was in my head. I'm a bit scattered today. You're right, it wouldn't give you 20 kW. But I suspect they will consolidate chargers to a single spec before they go a route to boost the charging capacity by installing a single, 22 kW charger.

I bet that eventually Tesla will find a manufacturer to make a single charger to 80 amps and that will become standard for all cars.

Tesla design and manufacture the charger themselves. The kind of power density they are hitting - 10kW in that small package, with liquid cooling - is approaching the limit of power electronics operating off mains power. Dual chargers make sense from an economic point of view - no point in selling everyone 80A charging if some are willing to pay extra for it.

Tesla design and manufacture the charger themselves. The kind of power density they are hitting - 10kW in that small package, with liquid cooling - is approaching the limit of power electronics operating off mains power. Dual chargers make sense from an economic point of view - no point in selling everyone 80A charging if some are willing to pay extra for it.
But we've always paid extra for it. This is just to speed production by having one less thing to install (sometimes).

Actually @Lloyd might be on to something. There is an nice nugget from @Kalud hidden in the huge Elon-banishing-range-anxiety thread showing photos of the new Gen2 car charger which has same high voltage DC output as Gen1 10kW chargers but 50% higher current output spec (45Adc vs 30Adc) in same form factor. Link: Elon - Page 60

Actually @Lloyd might be on to something. There is an nice nugget from @Kalud hidden in the huge Elon-banishing-range-anxiety thread showing photos of the new Gen2 car charger which has same high voltage DC output as Gen1 10kW chargers but 50% higher current output spec (45Adc vs 30Adc) in same form factor. Link: Elon - Page 60

Those are the EU spec chargers I speak of, above. That 45A is max, and is limited based on power input. In Supercharger cabinets, those are fed with 277V L-N voltage. So 277V * 48A = 13.3 kW. Without any overhead whatsoever, this would be an output at 370V/35A or 400V/33A. At home, 240V * 48A = 11.5 kW.